G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

How do you slow down? Tranny or Brembos?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2004 | 11:01 PM
Re: How do you slow down? Tranny or Brembos?

I know it's cool to downshift and pretend like you're a real racer (I do this sometimes), but why do you have brakes then? I mean you can do whatever you want but hey?

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 04-07-2004 | 11:13 PM

Ok were talking about downshifting to slow the car down, not to stop the car completely...I'm pretty sure that we have brakes to stop the car...Making a comment like "why do we have breaks then" is a bit far fetched...Have you ever come to a complete stop by downshifting? Downshifting and braking should be a safe technique...Later

Old 04-07-2004 | 11:15 PM

i know this has been discussed many, many, many times before. i think bottom line was if you didn't abuse it, it was ok, but i am no mechanic.

search it out.

04 6mtC, DG - possibly most babied G on the board.

Old 04-07-2004 | 11:48 PM

I think you should be in the right RPM range no matter what speed you're at. You should be able to accelerate without having to look for a gear to match your speed. I downshift and brake while keeping the rpms between 2000 and 3500.

Old 04-08-2004 | 12:49 AM

Here is my $0.02 about this open forum. Doesn't one drive your car for the pure "pleasure" that it gives you? I would assume if you didn't like to: shift, heal & toe, double clutch, match revs and plain out have fun with a manuel transmission, you would of purchased a "G" with an automatic. I do all of the above when I drive. Do I worry about the transmission, syncro rings & clutch assembly wearing out-absolutely not! Is a tramission built to last when driven correctly? My opinion is yes. The reason why I bought the Coupe w/Brembo's was for the stopping ability, not the gold paint or to worry about brake pad wear. Everyone drives their car to get from point A to point B and hopefully have a little fun getting there. It is such an academic question to me. Just drive your "G" the way you want and have fun along the way. By the way, I agree with masetodd comments. No surprise to all who reads the posts.

'03c6mt/Blk/Premium/Sport/Aero
Eibach's/Hyper-Ground/Ztube+JWT/Injen SES
Rogue/Momo/Sparco

Old 04-08-2004 | 12:54 AM

One benefit of downshifting is if you need to accelerate quickly for some reason, you're more prepared for it. However, as someone else said, I got the manual because I like to drive. I downshift in the corners so I can quickly accelerate out of them. I downshift at stops mainly out of habit.

Old 04-08-2004 | 05:30 AM

I don't downshift just for braking but I do take advantage of the MT's greater engine braking in any given gear to slow the car initially without applying the brakes. All MTs will slow the car better on throttle-off than an AT will. I just use it that way routinely on light-duty braking to save on brake wear.

Downshifting just for braking trades clutch and sychro wear for brake wear - not a good bargain IMO.

Old 04-08-2004 | 10:31 AM

As noted engineer, sage and motorsports author Carroll Smith likes to say:

The brakes are for stopping the car...the transmission is not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BASIC BLACK

Old 04-08-2004 | 11:20 AM

I don't think anyone here uses it to stop their car.

Just to slow it down.

To stop it using tranny is stalling. And yeah, I think we agree that's a no-no

---
2004 Twlight Blue/Willow 6mt Coupe.
Bel Vector 985 Hardwired.
Grounding Kit.
Splash Guards.
Next Project: Carputer.

Old 04-08-2004 | 10:58 PM
Deep Sea Moderator

I never do the neutral then just use the brakes. I always rev match and it's never above 3k. As stated before it might give me less time on my clutch but that's how I like to drive.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest Monitors Thread

Old 04-08-2004 | 11:50 PM
04 G35 Coupe 6MT Gold Brembo’s

There are times when engine breaking makes complete sense. Like burning off some extra speed coming into a corner when you want to power out in a stronger gear.

Here's another one... you're cruising on the highway in 6th gear approaching a slower driver or a truck and you want to pass him, but you need to wait a moment for an opening in the passing lane. I would engine break at this point, that way I can shave off speed without setting off a wave of brake-lights behind me, and then I'd already be in 5th gear, ready to punch it and accelerate into the passing lane.

After driving manual trannys (and motorcycles) since I was a teenager, I actually had to think about when I use engine breaking, since it happens pretty much naturally when I drive.

Although you have to tailor it to the situation, there are definitely some situations where it makes absolute sense.

2004 G35C 6MT + Nav, Silverstone

Old 04-09-2004 | 06:20 AM
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Using engine/tranny downshifting solely for the purpose of braking during normal driving is just plain stupid! Much less wear and tear and expense to replace brake pads than clutch/tranny/engine parts.

Proper use of downshift and engine braking in a racing situation is a must though. Your brakes would quickly overheat otherwise.

Old 04-09-2004 | 03:21 PM
04 G35 Coupe 6MT Gold Brembo’s

I'm not saying that you should engine brake instead of using the proper brakes. But I still think that there are certain times when downshifting to engine brake is appropriate. (As long as it's done properly --your experience will tell you roughly where your revs will be when you downshift. Just make sure you're not redlining in the new gear)

Having said that, you're absolutely right... wear on the clutch and transmission is more expensive than wear on the brake pads.
But if I followed your logic all the time, then maybe I should never accelerate hard, because that's way harder on the transmission than driving slowly. Maybe I should take corners real slow, since that would save expensive wear to the tires and suspension. In fact, maybe I should have bought a Prius instead of the G, since that would save me even more money overall.
You get the point.

I think that the extra tiny bit of wear from downshifting is trivial compared to its usefulness in certain situations. I've never got less life than I've expected out of a clutch because I downshifted when the situation warranted it, I've never had expensive repairs to transmission or synchros in three former manuals where I've driven this same way.

2004 G35C 6MT + Nav, Silverstone

Old 04-10-2004 | 09:13 PM

Yes, I use brakes, unless I know a police car is watching behind.

04 G35c 6MT Ivory/Graphite
HRE 448R 19x8.5,19x10 full polish/clear coated
Gallery of My Babies

Old 04-11-2004 | 12:12 AM
|

I should have been a little bit more explanatory concerning 'braking' by using your transmission. I meant using the transmission to slow down to where you use the brakes less than using the brakes the entire way to slow down then to a complete stop.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you slow down? Tranny or Brembos?