G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I just noticed something with my G(pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just noticed something with my G(pics)

I always wondered why my G had a tad different look than most others.. Found out what it was which is on the negative side for me.

My G:

This G ( source was google images):

Anyone notice the difference?? Its that weird side molding I have on my door which is fugly IMO.. It sort of kills the lines of the car along with my pin stripe. I hate when wax gets stuck in there too.

Just look how much cleaner that google G is compared to mine.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:58 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Unlike the sedans, I think those things are just taped on. All sedans came with those, and to take them off, you would have to fill in four holes on each side. But for you, you should be able to just remove and clean like you would an emblem. IMO, lose those fugly pinstripes too.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
Unlike the sedans, I think those things are just taped on. All sedans came with those, and to take them off, you would have to fill in four holes on each side. But for you, you should be able to just remove and clean like you would an emblem. IMO, lose those fugly pinstripes too.
Those peel off???? Hmm, I'm going to see if my local car shop can remove those along with the HOMO pinstripes.

I noticed the side molding things because they are for sale on everythingg35.com for $97...

Old 04-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Body Side Molding was an option on the coupes back then and were always a bit controversial (I was chatting alot on the forums when buying my 04 new). I personally hated the look of them. I agree, yank em. Especially on Black, you want the smooth lines.

I cant remember for sure but I thought, like ninous26 was saying, that they were taped on. If that is the case, you can probably do it yourself, just get some really thick dental floss like denotape, get it between the back of the molding and that the double stick tape (not between the tape and the body itself) and slowly work your way from one side to the other with a back and forth motion. A blow dryer on its low setting will help soften things up - do NOT use a heat gun.

Good luck.

Ernie

Last edited by chumpboy; 04-18-2008 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are glued on the Coupe. If you are going to take them off, do it on a hot day and take your time. The glue is much stronger than double sided tape.

I used adheasive remover also. I applied it to the top of the strip and let it soak down through. It will not harm the paint.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by chumpboy
just get some really thick dental floss like denotape
Fishing line works better than dental floss, and most guys should have some sitting in the garage... then use something like Goo-Gone and an old license, or an old credit card, etc... to take off the rest of the tape. Then bring it to a bodyshop if the paint is uneven. Don't worry, you don't need to paint or repaint it. They have a compound that they rub on to take care of it. Shouldn't cost any more than $20 to have them do that.

Not sure how to remove the pinstripe though...

Originally Posted by 6MTzer
They are glued on the Coupe. If you ae going to take them off, do it on a hot day and take your time. The glue is much stronger than double sided tape.

I used adheasive remover also. I applied it to the top of the strip and let it soak down through. It will not harm the paint.
I could be wrong about the tape... but most body parts use tape, and usually, the only time you'll find glue is when the owner or installer is **** enough to remove the tape and use a glue in it's place instead. But there are always exceptions...

Old 04-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Throw on some rear splash guards as well, and the appearance of your coupe will be enhanced even more in my opinion.

Trending Topics

Old 04-18-2008, 09:15 AM
yeah i noticed it.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pinstripes and side molds FTL... big time

Old 04-18-2008, 11:38 AM
I have side moldings and like them. They have saved my doors from dents a few times and I don't think they look bad. I would never try to pull them off on a black car! You will have fade lines and marks from the molding even after a good buff.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by dofu
Then bring it to a bodyshop if the paint is uneven. Don't worry, you don't need to paint or repaint it. They have a compound that they rub on to take care of it. Shouldn't cost any more than $20 to have them do that.
I have the same problem with those stupid line moldings and I have a red car. I am really worried about the uneven paint when I remove them. Are there any other alternatives to body shop?

Old 04-18-2008, 12:42 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the molding looks nice. not a fan of the stripe though

Old 04-18-2008, 12:56 PM
That Sucks....Remove it!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:02 PM
side moldings haven't saved me from anything. i need to remove them but just haven't got around to it.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts
Remove it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I just noticed something with my G(pics)