G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Help convince parents to get a 6spd

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tell them you don't know how to drive an automatic.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone who knows that when you drive stick YOU ARE MUCH MORE ALERT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO BE FOCUSED ON DRIVING 100% OF THE TIME, AND THAT IS THE TRUTH GOOD LUCK!

Old 04-22-2008, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lolly Baggins
Tell them you don't know how to drive an automatic.
LMAO

yea or it could be that your rents are jealous of your G and dont know how to drive stick and they want you to get the AT so they can look young and cool and whip it every now and then lol, you get MT and they cant drive it..............

Old 04-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Are you sure it has to do with the 6MT and not more with financing/expense or other parental factors? I'm betting that it has more to do with the fact that they don't want you digging yourself into a deeper financial hole than you're already in or going out and spending a bunch of money on another expensive car or dealing with the potential inconvenience of swapping vehicles.

Maybe if you can convince them that you can get a 6MT for the same value as what you'd sell your car for, they would be more responsive to your pleas to get a 6MT.

Another thing to consider is that for you to even come close to breaking even with the finances on the swap from an auto to a 6MT G35, you'd have to sell the car private party... and that means that there is some time in between selling your old car and actually buying a new one where you won't have a car, and your parents might have to drive you around. Overall, from their perspective, it's just much simpler for you to keep the car you have right now.. especially since it's already a much nicer car than most kids your age have. They might be thinking along the lines of "Give him an inch(G35 Auto) and he'll take a mile(newer G35 6MT)" and they probably maybe are thinking that they don't want to get you too spoiled.. even if you are paying for the car yourself.

Those are just some things to consider and think about which might help you approach your battle from a different perspective and maybe throw some new ideas at your parents.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JOKER
G35 is expensive to maintein.

I'm assuming you want 6MT for a sportier feel.

So consider that you will need to replace clutch, tires more often then you do on Auto.

So if you are on a budget stick with auto. Manual mode is not that bad.
6mt clutch should be good for at least 150k if not raced or abused.

Just a FYI.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Klubbheads - "6mt clutch should be good for at least 150k if not raced or abused." I totally agree. I've driven my past 2 sticks enthusiastically but without abuse and didn't need clutch replacements

mwarsh1 - "anyone who knows that when you drive stick YOU ARE MUCH MORE ALERT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO BE FOCUSED ON DRIVING 100% OF THE TIME, AND THAT IS THE TRUTH GOOD LUCK!" This is an interesting statement and would stand to reason. OP, this is probably the only leg you have to stand on with your parents. It goes without saying that 6MT's will give you a bigger grin than an auto, but I doubt that your parents care about that. Your parents are probably looking at the fact that you have a great car that gets you from point A to B and you want to loose a bunch of money on it to buy a different one. That's a tough sell.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:18 AM
Why did you get an auto to begin with? This is one of those you live and learn moments. You should have done more research and made the right decision off the bat

Old 04-23-2008, 12:34 AM
It think too that its probably that your parents dont want you to dig a deeper financial hole than the actual type of transmission.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:14 AM
Originally Posted by lekker_droom
yeah man, everytime i'm stuck in traffic i wish i had an AT. Badly.

I dont know how old you are, I'm guessing pretty young since your parents are able to dictate your car, so just be thankful you even have a G at all.
Im 19, and have no debt at all.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:00 AM
you can always do a 6mt conversion!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by ChamCham
Im 19, and have no debt at all.
If you're 19 then your parents should have no say in what car you get, unless they're paying for it. End of story.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by BlueDevilBAMF
If you're 19 then your parents should have no say in what car you get, unless they're paying for it. End of story.
Amen. A manual will make you be a more attentive driver. It's harder to yap on a cell phone or text message if you have to use all four hands and feet to drive. But if you are 19 and still living under your parents' roof, you should suck it up and do what they say or grow up and move out instead of driving a nice car. Start living on your own and then you can buy whatever you want.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:31 PM
well when i got my auto my dad originally wanted me to get a 6spd because he felt that if i was driving it i would have to focus more on shifting rather than talking on the phone or eating or etc., try that tell your parents you'll be even more focused on the road and therefore be safer

Old 04-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GGG Ya
well when i got my auto my dad originally wanted me to get a 6spd because he felt that if i was driving it i would have to focus more on shifting rather than talking on the phone or eating or etc., try that tell your parents you'll be even more focused on the road and therefore be safer
What the, lol. Your parents suggested you get a 6Spd and you said no?!

Old 04-23-2008, 04:08 PM
You are 19 and driving a G thats good. 6MT or Auto you should be happy. My parents bought me a beat up 1985 Toyota Corolla (stick shift though ). I was happy then I work my way up slowly. Sometime driving nice car is only for looks but driving a Civic and have fat wallet is the player...IMO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help convince parents to get a 6spd