G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Speeding Ticket - 100+ Mph - Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 05:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speeding Ticket - 100+ Mph - Help!

Yet another speeding ticket post.

Was on the 60 Frwy going a little over 100. I wasnt looking and I pass a CHP patrol car. I didn't notice it at first, but when I was looking in my rearview mirror I saw a car pull out of traffic and get into my lane. I immediatly thought it was a cop and let off the gas. I was about a quarter mile ahead of him when I saw him pull out. I let off the gas and bring it down to 70. He pulls slowly behind me and from the headlights I can definetley tell its a cop. I slow down even more to 62. He follows me for 2-3 min at about 60-65. He finally pulls me over and asks me "Do you know how fast you were going?" I told him "I dont remember, I didnt really notice." He tells me I was going over 100+ when I passed him. He gives me a ticket for "Excess of 100Mph." When I asked him how fast I was going, he said "I think about 101mph." He writes down 100+ on the ticket speed section. He also tells me it doesnt really matter if its 101 or 120, its stillt he same violation.

Now, I think I can definetly fight this ticket. He doesnt really know how fast I was going. He was guessing for sure. I am not denying I was speeding, but he wasnt sure. I am going to plead not guilty. Do you guys think I have a good chance of getting this ticker reduced to 90 in a 65 zone? Or even getting it dismissed? Do I need a lawyer?

Thanks.

Twilight Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
Premium - Nav - Aero - Trunk Mat
Injen CAI

Old 04-10-2004, 05:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 G35 Coupe 6MT Gold Brembo’s
Re: Speeding Ticket - 100+ Mph - Help!

Fight it.
If he had radar on you then he would have pulled you over immediately. He paced you hoping you'd speed but you slowed down -- which forced him to rely on his earlier visual estimate of your speed from a stationary position -- which is unreliable.

You might catch him with this during cross examination -- but only if it even gets that far. You could reschedule the court date, he may not have that set of notes when he sees you on a different day. He might not show up at all. In both those cases the charge will be dismissed.

Get to court early, if you see that the cop does show up and you don't feel like challenging him, then take the plea bargain -- they'll usually try to clear the case load before the judge comes in by offering reduced charges in exchange for guilty pleas. So you're always better off to fight it.

2004 G35C 6MT + Nav, Silverstone

Old 04-10-2004, 07:53 AM

Look on your ticket. It will describe the method he used to clock you. It should say "radar" or "pace" or something like that. He took so long to pull you over either 1) he was pacing you 2) he was running your plates for warrants 3) both 4) it just seemed like a long time because you were nervous.

If it was radar, you're screwed. Frankly, you're probably screwed either way, it's very difficult to win in traffic court. If your license may be suspended, hire a lawyer. If not, I'd pay it.

Old 04-10-2004, 08:10 AM

Another 100+ speeding ticket......

How about a DIY for dealing with speeding tickets?
What do you think admins?

Good luck w/everything DantheMan

Mitch K
2004 G35C AT
Blk/Blk
Prem.Aero.Perf.Nav
Nav/TV Tuner w/ PS 2
2-10" Subs w/ Rockford Amp
Clear Corners
Pop Charger
Z-Tube

Old 04-10-2004, 08:29 AM

My Ticket doesn't sat anything except the violation. It doesnt say how he recorded my speed. Best guess is that he estimated my speed as he was driving in traffic himself.

Twilight Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
Premium - Nav - Aero - Trunk Mat
Injen CAI

Old 04-10-2004, 09:29 AM

i had one goin 135 on the 210. 2 months suspension and 650 bux fine. this was back in 2000 when i was 17

Old 04-10-2004, 09:36 AM

Get a lawyer.

'04 G35 Coupe DG/G/5AT/Premium.

Old 04-10-2004, 10:20 AM

Get 2 lawyers. Every case hase holes and most people dont fight according to thier own cross examination rights. I got a 87 im fighting in NC right now...my attorney says it wont even see a judge

2003.5 DP Sedan (Everything but Nav)
Injen CAI
7 Wire HyperGround (Soon to be 10)
Crawford Plenum (V4)
H-Liner
Polk Tweeter Upgrade (EX-3500)
Coming Soon: Lite Crank Pulley, Motion Sensor

Old 04-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't call a lawyer you will just end up spending more money for the same outcome. Here is how lawyers work.....oh yeah so you were caught speeding.....let me see what I can do let me find out where this is I might know the judge.....yes, that would be 2 thousand dollars.....oh I was able to reschedule your trial they know this is a bogus charge.....another fee if not included on the first one.....finally court dates gets here he argues with the judge and police officer and the judge says....... GUILTY! You are to be fined a million dollars and a million hours of community service and a license suspesion for a million years! And the kicker.....oh I will have the bill sent to your house for appearing with you in court.

If your going to fight it do it yourself don't hire any crooked laywer who's going to take you for a ride. Reschedule your court apperance until the last chance you can get. By that time the freakin violation will be almost 6-8 months old. If there is one thing about incidents like these is that it happens everyday. No matter what excuse you pull on the judge he will see through all the BS that all others have tried before. The fact that you know your guilty is proof and the judge will see through this. The best advice is to postpone for as long as the law would permit in hopes that the police officer that gave you the ticket won't appear on the date that was set. Goodluck on the outcome hope it turns out in favor of you.

<font color=blue>04 CB COUPE / WILLOW / PREM PACK</font color=blue>

Old 04-10-2004, 11:22 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeh I was thinking the same thing...maybe a separate forum for tickets...lol.

I'd definitely fight that one. He must have estimated your speed and could be argued.. Get yourself a lawyer and slow down.

Be safe.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 04-10-2004, 11:24 AM

ask for a supporting deposition. this means that if he clocked you by radar, he should have a print out of your speed. if he says he clocked you in court, then he must have this slip. unfortunately many people don't ask for the slip in court. i've been to court cases for speeding tickets (my friend's not mine) and when my friend asked for supporting deposition, the cop didn't have one, and the judge dismissed the ticket because there was no hard evidence, only the word of the cop (which in many instances is better than your word in court) but since radars have print out there has to be a supporting deposition. now if you ask for one and he whips one out, then yer screwed...the only time i would recommend getting a lawyer is if your license is being threatend to be revoked. i got caught speeding in excess of 100mph many times. if its your first offense ever or your first in a long time (i.e. 3-5 years) then when you go to court and talk to the cop, he 99.9% of the will be more leanient and reduce your ticket to maybe 85 in a 55 so that you can keep your license but get a fat fine and lots of points and you'll probably have to take a defensive driver's course. if yer a repeat offender, get a lawyer. its not the fine or the lawyer fee that will kill you, it's what the insurance company that will kill u. if u get convicted of speeding in excess of 100 mph, they may even consider dropping your policy because you are high risk. then u won't be able to drive your G around any more =*( that would majorly suck because summer is right around the corner...good luck with your ticket!

04 DG/G/6MT/Premium/Nav/Clear Bra
Bone Stock...to be continued...
"You kill mah brodah, now I kill you!" - some old kung-fu flick

Old 04-10-2004, 11:35 AM

Just got my second ticket for speeding tonight as well. 70+ in a 45 zone according to him. Obviouly he was just guessing. Cop pulled me over for going 60 in a 35 zone but wrote me the ticket for something that was a few minutes ago. I am sure that I wasn't going any faster more than 65 the whole time and where he pulled me over was the gap when the speed limit dropped down to 35 from 55 which i was also slowing down. However, I got 2 other tickets 1 for no front license plate and the other for clear corners with blue bulbs (those hyper whites). For sure I will contest the tickets, hope these cops burn in hell! Good luck fighting the tickets dude.

Old 04-10-2004, 12:37 PM

There is no such thing as "cross examination rights" in traffic court. Traffic court is a whole different ball game from regular court.

First order of business is to find out if your license is in jeopardy. If it is, hire a lawyer. You do not want to lose your license! If your license is not in jeopardy, call the clerk's office and find out what the fine is. Then pay it.

Old 04-10-2004, 02:31 PM

I would have said the same thing. Fight it for sure. When i get pulled over for speeding i ask for it. Sometimes they dont have it so kinda let me go. Instead of speeding they will give me a tint ticket or a no front plate ticket. This has happened to me 3 times already. One time i said ok let me see your radar and he came back and gave me a ticket for not signaling while switching lanes. And i fought that and won.

2004 Diamond Graphite G35 Coupe 6MT, Premium Package, Aero Package, DVD Nav

2003 Brilliant Silver G35 Sedan Premium Package, Aero Package, DVD Nav

Old 04-10-2004, 04:37 PM

So you were driving by a cop while going 100+ mph...and now you are surprised for getting a 100+ ticket. Everyone speeds, so I'm not going to get on a moral high horse. Nevertheless, once you pass 100mph on a public road, you are in a high-risk situation both physically and legally. Fight it, buy a radar detector, and don't be surprised that you got tagged for breaking the law!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket - 100+ Mph - Help!