G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Between an 03 coupe and 06 coupe...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 03.. actually it's Nov 02 (one of the first G's), been 77K and only had to have the Throttle Positioning Censor replaced once, other than that it's trouble-free... but definitely not maintenance free :P

Yes.. 03-04 has no MP3 player.. but it has a tape-deck which I can plug in a car-kit for my iPod.. much better than FM transmitters

Old 05-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
If money isn't an issue, then the 06 is a no brainer. The 03-04 interior looks very dated. Not to mention, with the 06 you get better headlights, tailights, and if you decide for the sport, better suspension & bumper.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't you know that 06 is the sex lol.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Other than visual there really isn't anything different in performance.

The 2006 6-speed is going to have the VQ35DE rev-up motor and the 2003 is going to have the regular VQ35DE. So the 2006 is going to be a tad bit faster.

The 2006 auto is going to have the same engine as the 2003. Other than that is is pretty much all visual.

-sean

Old 05-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by BlueDevilBAMF
How could the power "feel better" in a 2006??? It has 10 less ft-lbs of torque than the '03-'04 (260 vs. 270). Granted it has 18 more hp (298 vs 280), but the torque is something you "feel".

OP, I would not buy an '03 because it is the first year of production and has been known to have problems. A lot of those problems were ironed out in the 2004. Between '04 and '06 it really comes to personal taste regarding the interior. Anything on the exterior in an '04 can be changed to your liking (same goes for the '06).
Uh, you can feel hp. Trust me. Ever ran a 120 hp bike and then a 160 hp bike? Maybe even a 160 hp bike and then a 180+ HP bike? You feel power as well... Point is that Torque is the initial input you feel. HP carries you through the revs on top.

Take a V-Twin bike vs. an in-line. V-Twins are torque making machines vs. wheezer in-lines. To compensate, you are on the revs more with an in-line. Utilizing where it makes the best power. Up top...

Same with cars. If you have a car with more torque down low where needed, then the car with more hp and less bottom end can be revved more to compensate. Thus, you can feel the power difference.

I can feel the torque on my diesel truck, but I can feel the power difference in my car... You feel both...

Old 05-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by bull3t
i also have an 03 6mt...ZERO major problems...only problem i've had is a seat squeek, but it's gone right now (hope it doesn't come back)...My car has never

burned a drop of oil unlike alot of the rev-up coupes...i've driven my friends 06 coupe 5AT and the interior difference didn't leave me saying wow this is so much

better...brembos are a plus imo, more rare, better emergency stopping. I did like the 06 sport bumper, projectors and rays 19's on the newer coupes...So I just

added those to my 03...Let me just say one more thing...Whether you get a 03 or 06 just make sure you get a 6mt or you'll regret it.
Brembos are the common reason why people like the 03s vs the later years. Better emergency stopping?!?! Reaction time and the ability to stay sharp can sway in a direction to someone w/o Brembos... So, Brembos are cool, but they aren't like having air bags vs. not. It isn't that much better.

Brembo equiped owners make it sound like anything else w/o Brembos is like driving a car with wooden brake pads. I can almost bet that while not exactly as good or better, one could buy some seriously ranked performance pads and better brake fluid and be almost on the same level as a set of Brembos...

Old 05-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Lizard 1
Brembos are the common reason why people like the 03s vs the later years. Better emergency stopping?!?! Reaction time and the ability to stay sharp can sway in a direction to someone w/o Brembos... So, Brembos are cool, but they aren't like having air bags vs. not. It isn't that much better.

Brembo equiped owners make it sound like anything else w/o Brembos is like driving a car with wooden brake pads. I can almost bet that while not exactly as good or better, one could buy some seriously ranked performance pads and better brake fluid and be almost on the same level as a set of Brembos...
The 06 models actually have a bigger rotor and stop just as fast as the brembo's.

-Sean

Old 05-04-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Nismo G
The 06 models actually have a bigger rotor and stop just as fast as the brembo's.

-Sean
i figured as much and leads me to believe that the Brembos mentality that older car owners hold onto doesn't hold as much merit. Again, Brembos are great, but not as great to make the older Gs better overall...

Old 05-04-2008, 04:20 PM

I've been in an emergency stopping situation where a woman ran a red light...I didn't see her when my light turned green...the womans car was about a foot away from my car after I applied the brakes...the brembos are better, if only by a little...and that little difference could prevent an accident...like in my situation...And just like you can upgrade your 06 brakes with better pads and fluid...The same can be done with brembos...i've added motul 600 rbf brake fluid, stoptech ss brakelines and axxis ceramic brake pads...I wasn't trying to bash on the 06 brakes in my post...The brembos are just better brakes.

Honestly if the 06 came with brembos i would've wanted that...Cause it is an updated version of my car...aside from the oil burning part...But i've driven both an 06 and my 03...The performance increase and interior upgrades didn't leave me wanting an 06 (except for the projectors, wheels and sport bumper...all of which i added to my 03 because i liked them so much)...That's just MY OPINION...06 owners like you make it sound like anything before an 06 is like driving a "wooden" car.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:31 PM
I've been in an emergency stopping situation where a woman ran a red light...I didn't see her when my light turned green...the womans car was about a foot away from my car after I applied the brakes...the brembos are better, if only by a little...and that little difference could prevent an accident...like in my situation...And just like you can upgrade your 06 brakes with better pads and fluid...The same can be done with brembos...i've added motul 600 rbf brake fluid, stoptech ss brakelines and axxis ceramic brake pads...I wasn't trying to bash on the 06 brakes in my post...The brembos are just better brakes.

Honestly if the 06 came with brembos i would've wanted that...Cause it is an updated version of my car...aside from the oil burning part...But i've driven both an 06 and my 03...The performance increase and interior upgrades didn't leave me wanting an 06 (except for the projectors, wheels and sport bumper...all of which i added to my 03 because i liked them so much)...That's just MY OPINION...06 owners like you make it sound like anything before an 06 is like driving a "wooden" car.
I am going to have to agree with him here. Even though the 06 comes with a couple extra features. Those features are not anything you can't do to the 03. You can make your 03 just as fast as the 06 with a couple simple mods. The 06 revs to 7200 and the 03 revs to 6700. With a u-tech tune or reflash you can rev the 03 to 7200 rpms safely ($500). Replace the headlights with projectors ($500) replace the tail lights ($300) and you basicly have an 06.

The brembos are going to be way better brakes than the 06 brakes at the end of the day. When you upgrade them - they are really going to kickass.

If i were you i would buy the 03 and take the money you are going to save and throw on some kickass mods - Intake, exhaust, headers, high flow cats, u-tech.

-Sean

Old 05-04-2008, 04:35 PM
I am actually interested in an 05-06 G35. I just drove my friends 03
I am 6'2" and weigh about 235 lbs. I am coming from an 01 5 sp manual nissan maxima SE which I must say is an extremely comfortable car to ride in. Way more space than I need but I am looking to find something with better looks, better handle and better power.

My boys 03 was a 6MT. He had HIDS although someone commented that those years didnt have bi-xenon? Also, I felt the seats were a little small? Felt like it was squeezing my back...i gotta test drive again but any changes in that area with the 05-06? Also I see many complaints about the quality of bluetooth. Anyone have feedback on that as well? Also clutch seemed pretty hard and car felt kind of heavy compared to my setup and i'm running exedy stage 1 but I guess some things could factor into that... I wish I could find a comparison in pictures between 03 and 06 because I can almost swear they look exactly the same....oh and I love that 6 disc cd changer

Old 05-04-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by win2456
i went through the same trouble all year long trying to decide which one to buy. an '03-'04 were in my price range, but then the '05 and '06 were only a few grand more. I love the brembos, but really liked the stock wheels, rear spoiler, rear lights, front lights and the features on the '06. I was going to purchase an '03, change the spoiler and live with the rest... but when I went to test drive an '06, I just fell in love with it and bought it (3 weeks ago ).

agreed that the '03-'04 have 10 more torque, but honestly, the '06 felt completely different. I had test driven about 4 other g35s (1 x '04, 3 x '03) and the feeling of the '06 was quite unique.

03-04 do not have:
MP3 player
bi-xenon lights
If the car is equipped with the nav, the infiniti clock hides behind it (relocated in '05)
seat belt positioning a bit awkward
few other cosmetic differences...

whichever one you buy, just remember gas is expensive now and there is no way you're getting away thinking you'll get anything more than 19mpg, either with an '03 or an '06 (this was one fact I wasn't considering before purchasing mine..)
I gotta test drive an 06, thats what it comes down to but i drove my boys 03
I am actually interested in an 05-06 G35. I just drove my friends 03
I am 6'2" and weigh about 235 lbs. I am coming from an 01 5 sp manual nissan maxima SE which I must say is an extremely comfortable car to ride in. Way more space than I need but I am looking to find something with better looks, better handle and better power.

My boys 03 was a 6MT. He had HIDS although someone commented that those years didnt have bi-xenon? Also, I felt the seats were a little small? Felt like it was squeezing my back...i gotta test drive again but any changes in that area with the 05-06? Also I see many complaints about the quality of bluetooth. Anyone have feedback on that as well? Also clutch seemed pretty hard and car felt kind of heavy compared to my setup and i'm running exedy stage 1 but I guess some things could factor into that... I wish I could find a comparison in pictures between 03 and 06 because I can almost swear they look exactly the same....oh and I love that 6 disc cd changer. Exhaust sounds amazing but the pick up in first gear...mmm, maybe cause I didnt test it the way I wanted, my car with y-pipe and exhaust felt comparable in power. By 3rd gear I'm sure I would be seeing tail lights but I wasnt overthrilled by the performance....

Old 05-04-2008, 06:10 PM

Again, maybe your reaction time was slower than an owner with an 06. I mean, it isn't something you can weigh as a difference. I could argue that my sport suspension and 19" wheels allow for more optimum handling to avoid a deer that ran out in the road. Had I own an 03, the suspension is lesser quality and I would have hit the deer.

See how that is sorta ridiculous?

I'm not bashing the 03. By no means. I actually stated that if he wanted to pocket some coin and add on some goodies, the 03 is the way to go.

I just find it funny that people think the Brembos are the best reason to buy an 03...

Old 05-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Again, maybe your reaction time was slower than an owner with an 06. I mean, it isn't something you can weigh as a difference. I could argue that my sport suspension and 19" wheels allow for more optimum handling to avoid a deer that ran out in the road. Had I own an 03, the suspension is lesser quality and I would have hit the deer.

See how that is sorta ridiculous?

I'm not bashing the 03. By no means. I actually stated that if he wanted to pocket some coin and add on some goodies, the 03 is the way to go.

I just find it funny that people think the Brembos are the best reason to buy an 03...
lol...so with my slow reaction time i would have hit that lady if i had 06 brakes...that's what i'm saying...understand? yea the 06s have stiffer springs and shocks, but i wasn't talking about that...I was just giving the op my .02...I never said anything about my 03 being a better car and that the owner should buy it because it has brembos.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:07 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo G

-Sean
Very true. The only time you will actually see a difference between the 03-04 Brembo's and the 06-07 brakes would be during circuit track runs / canyon runs.

They brake about the same, but the brembos would take the beating a bit better than the 06-07 brakes.

PS. A little random but... you can always upgrade to better brakes. The same can't be said about the interiors. Hence, atleast for me, an 06+ is a no brainer. Considering it's also a newer car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Between an 03 coupe and 06 coupe...