G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Between an 03 coupe and 06 coupe...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
What's the big deal about the 06+ interiors? Everyone says the 03 looks outdated and raves about the 06. I've seen both...and IMO they all suck! The interior IMO is the worst feature on any G no matter what the year is. Just my .02

Old 05-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My plan was probably get an 03 and throw in a double din w/ pioneer avic, and then update the exterior looks...but i would have to get an auto for me either way.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
05+ interior is a little better than the 03-04, but its nothing that WOWS me. Anyway, i would rather go for the 06 rather than the 03. MIleage can be an issue, warranty, exterior upgrades ( proj, spolier, sport bumper ) etc are just a better touch. I got an 05 and i am transforming it into a 06+. I just love the sport bumper and projector lights. IMO get the 06 for piece of mind and newer vehicle. Not bashing the 03's but if i had the option i would go with the newer slightly updated and revised 06.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:00 PM
ex-EVO driver
This really is not much of a discussion...get an 05+, newer car, going to be lower mileage and have less chance for problems down the road.

drop a few extra coin now so you wont have to later, also the 03 is not going to be warrantied anymore...

Old 05-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Nismo G
The 06 models actually have a bigger rotor and stop just as fast as the brembo's.

-Sean
That's incorrect. The Brembos have larger and thicker rotors. The 03-04 Brembos are 12.76 x 1.18 front and 13.07 x .87 rear, while the 06 models have 12.6 x 1.1 fronts, and 12.1 x .63 rears. The 06 brakes probably stop just as quickly on initial stop, but after 1-2 hard stops, will likely fade more (see the Zeckuasen article on comparing brakes among different models of 350Z - track model, base, etc.) As for the ability to improve them with aftermarket pads, fluid, etc. I would say that's debatable - yes, you can reduce fade, but you won't shorten stopping distances any.

Also, folks, one major factor not mentioned so far is the weight difference between the two. The 2004 6MT weighs 3,435 lbs, while the 06 6MT weighs in at 3,524 lbs. So, the difference in HP is likely negated by the extra 90 lbs in curb weight. I've never seen instrumented tests on the 05-07 coupes, so it's hard to know for sure, but I would bet that the 0-60 times are the same.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
That's incorrect. The Brembos have larger and thicker rotors. The 03-04 Brembos are 12.76 x 1.18 front and 13.07 x .87 rear, while the 06 models have 12.6 x 1.1 fronts, and 12.1 x .63 rears. The 06 brakes probably stop just as quickly on initial stop, but after 1-2 hard stops, will likely fade more (see the Zeckuasen article on comparing brakes among different models of 350Z - track model, base, etc.) As for the ability to improve them with aftermarket pads, fluid, etc. I would say that's debatable - yes, you can reduce fade, but you won't shorten stopping distances any.

Also, folks, one major factor not mentioned so far is the weight difference between the two. The 2004 6MT weighs 3,435 lbs, while the 06 6MT weighs in at 3,524 lbs. So, the difference in HP is likely negated by the extra 90 lbs in curb weight. I've never seen instrumented tests on the 05-07 coupes, so it's hard to know for sure, but I would bet that the 0-60 times are the same.
7lbs equates typically to 1hp. So, if the car is 90 pounds heavier, it loses 12.85 hp. Still has 6 plus more. No big deal as that is minimal... Overall, it is tit for tat in comparing the two.

The thing on brakes is this. Yes, Brembos will not fade as quick and they will give a better overall intial feel, but realize that guys have their cars that have never bled their brake systems. A lot of guys, I bet... I really don't think it is even fair to compare a car that has 48k miles with the same brake fluid and a car with 20k miles that has upgraded brake fluid to a better performance fluid with a higher boiling rate and better performace pads.

In what I do, we run OEM calipers with a pad company by the name of Vesrah. We use their Super compound. Now, of course, everyone runs SS lines and therefore a moot point. However, in running a 1098S for a good bit, I have come to realize that the Brembos do not fade as fast, but still fade. However, if a bike that has fresh fluid that is of a higher grade that is properly flushed regularly to avoid the fluid from breaking down so much, the Brembos are still SLIGHTLY superior, but in the long run, it is so close that ability is what makes the difference.

And that, is my point. I can take Michael Schumaker and run him in a 2006 and go head to head with a regional track day driver and I will say that money is on Schummey. Now, put him in the 03 with Brembos and swap, he'll still win. Point? Doesn't make that much of a difference... Ability will overcome bolted on accessories.

Solution to all this babble? Buy what you like. The 06 has better suspension components, better/refined interior, softer lines. However, this may not be your taste. Maybe you like the bigger wing of the 03. Maybe the interior has no issue with you on the 03. Maybe Brembos are where it's at vs. teh suspension... However, you can save 10K on an 03 so, dump $10k into an 03 and wax ANY other guy in whatever year G35 coupe they own... Well, unless there is one floating around driven by an ex F1 champ...

As far as rotor size, understand that the size of the rotor isn't the issue as much as where the caliper is place or how many pads are being used in a specified caliper. Radial mounted calipers have smaller diameter rotors vs. conventional mounted calipers. Therefore, smaller rotors are used and less rotational mass is acheived. So, technically speaking, one could say the 06 with smaller rotors has less rotational weight... Don't mention the bigger wheels!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lizard 1
7lbs equates typically to 1hp. So, if the car is 90 pounds heavier, it loses 12.85 hp. Still has 6 plus more. No big deal as that is minimal... Overall, it is tit for tat in comparing the two.

The thing on brakes is this. Yes, Brembos will not fade as quick and they will give a better overall intial feel, but realize that guys have their cars that have never bled their brake systems. A lot of guys, I bet... I really don't think it is even fair to compare a car that has 48k miles with the same brake fluid and a car with 20k miles that has upgraded brake fluid to a better performance fluid with a higher boiling rate and better performace pads.

In what I do, we run OEM calipers with a pad company by the name of Vesrah. We use their Super compound. Now, of course, everyone runs SS lines and therefore a moot point. However, in running a 1098S for a good bit, I have come to realize that the Brembos do not fade as fast, but still fade. However, if a bike that has fresh fluid that is of a higher grade that is properly flushed regularly to avoid the fluid from breaking down so much, the Brembos are still SLIGHTLY superior, but in the long run, it is so close that ability is what makes the difference.

And that, is my point. I can take Michael Schumaker and run him in a 2006 and go head to head with a regional track day driver and I will say that money is on Schummey. Now, put him in the 03 with Brembos and swap, he'll still win. Point? Doesn't make that much of a difference... Ability will overcome bolted on accessories.

Solution to all this babble? Buy what you like. The 06 has better suspension components, better/refined interior, softer lines. However, this may not be your taste. Maybe you like the bigger wing of the 03. Maybe the interior has no issue with you on the 03. Maybe Brembos are where it's at vs. teh suspension... However, you can save 10K on an 03 so, dump $10k into an 03 and wax ANY other guy in whatever year G35 coupe they own... Well, unless there is one floating around driven by an ex F1 champ...

As far as rotor size, understand that the size of the rotor isn't the issue as much as where the caliper is place or how many pads are being used in a specified caliper. Radial mounted calipers have smaller diameter rotors vs. conventional mounted calipers. Therefore, smaller rotors are used and less rotational mass is acheived. So, technically speaking, one could say the 06 with smaller rotors has less rotational weight... Don't mention the bigger wheels!
You're forgetting it has 10 ft-lbs less torque to move that extra weight. So factoring in your weight increase, I'm sure the 10 ft-lbs less of torque is more like 20 ft-lbs less.

-20 ft-lbs of torque and +6 HP would probably swing the performance in favor of the '04.

However, it's also important to consider the rotational mass of the wheels (much less on the '06 19's than the '04 18's). This could negate the weight difference entirely.

In conclusion, if both were running the same wheels, an '04 should be faster than an '06.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:03 PM
there should be a sticker on the side of the driver side door (near the driver seat) that should tell you when the car was manufactured and where

Old 05-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Not sure I get your point about ability or how it's relevant. Yes, a superior driver will often overcome equipment, but the question is how the SAME driver will find two different braking systems, and whether the results will be close in that instance. So, is there a HUGE difference? It depends on your definition - maybe that 3-4 feet on the 2nd stop saves your hide, or your bodywork. And comparing to a motorcycle setup is apples and oranges.

Also, while there may not be that many folks on here who track their cars, there are plenty on here that do canyon runs or drive hard enough that fade does become an issue. To be honest, having driven both, I also prefer the firmer feel of the Brembos, which makes for much more confident braking.

All of our cars have "conventional mounted" calipers - radial mounting is a motorcycle concept that doesn't apply here - and the number of pads is the same when comparing 04 and 06 G35 brake systems. And the size of the rotor absolutely is an issue. Larger rotors can handle greater heat loads, so the advantage posed by smaller rotational mass is offset (especially when coupled w/19" wheels.)

As for the suspension, yes you are correct that the 05-07 6MT coupe has better springs and shocks, and a stiffer front swaybar, but those are a relatively inexpensive upgrade ($500-700 all in if you get the springs & shocks from someone on this forum, $1,200 all in if you get aftermarket shocks) for 03-04 cars.

Last edited by G35fromPA; 05-05-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
Not sure I get your point about ability or how it's relevant. Yes, a superior driver will often overcome equipment, but the question is how the SAME driver will find two different braking systems, and whether the results will be close in that instance. So, is there a HUGE difference? It depends on your definition - maybe that 3-4 feet on the 2nd stop saves your hide, or your bodywork. And comparing to a motorcycle setup is apples and oranges.

Also, while there may not be that many folks on here who track their cars, there are plenty on here that do canyon runs or drive hard enough that fade does become an issue. To be honest, having driven both, I also prefer the firmer feel of the Brembos, which makes for much more confident braking.

All of our cars have "conventional mounted" calipers - radial mounting is a motorcycle concept that doesn't apply here - and the number of pads is the same when comparing 04 and 06 G35 brake systems. And the size of the rotor absolutely is an issue. Larger rotors can handle greater heat loads, so the advantage posed by smaller rotational mass is offset (especially when coupled w/19" wheels.)

As for the suspension, yes you are correct that the 05-07 6MT coupe has better springs and shocks, and a stiffer front swaybar, but those are a relatively inexpensive upgrade ($500-700 all in if you get the springs & shocks from someone on this forum, $1,200 all in if you get aftermarket shocks) for 03-04 cars.
Actually, comparing them to motorcycles is relevant as they are similar in what we are talking about. Brembos exist on similar bikes that do not have Brembos. The difference is noticeable, but not that big a deal. Point was that YES, you can lessen stopping distance with better pads and rotors all the while keeping the OEM calipers of the 06. However, you can also upgrade from the Brembo units found on an 03, etc.

the thing is that in any environment, one can change anything to be better suited for their application. I truly doubt canyon carvers can tell the overall difference between an 03 STOCK with Brembos vs an 06 STOCK with the Sport Package. The wheels and suspension components will be a factor as braking and handling will be changed with the bigger wheels and lower profile tires. Suspension components can help the car handle better to offset it's inability to brake as good as say the Brembos can.

My point on the radial caliper set up is that the rotors do play into the scheme of things. You may very well be right was my point.

The thing is this. Until an accomplished racer or credited editor goes out and does an UNBIASED test between the two set-ups, we're never going to know.

My example with an F1 pilot is that there are always going to be better drivers out there. One guy who says he drives canyons all the time and knows the difference, or the guy who says Brembos saved him from having an accident, or the guy that says he can feel the difference in torque, etc is something that is really opinion. Unless you have accomplishments in the racing world, none of us really have much to stand up on here. Who's to say a guy in an 06 can't run faster in the same canyon? Who's to say there isn't a guy who has a better reaction time and could have stopped even quicker with his 06 even though he didn't have Brembos? There's always an example to offset one stated...

Final food for thought as I stated before all the testosterone started to flow, buy what you like. Sit in them, drive them, look at them. Whatever your budget allows, whatever speaks to your soul, whatever feels best for you is exactly what YOU need to do. Asking us is going to net the same answers as if you asked what oil is best or what tires are best. Opinions cloud truth a lot of times and like I said, we need an expert to tell us the real truth. I haven't seen an article proclaiming such a thing so, 03 owners rejoice - you still have the best car. 06 owners? We can rejoice, too. After all, in our minds, our cars our the best... Well, until I get something else!

Cheers.