G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

In the market for a G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In the market for a G

I will be very soon in the market for a used G35. Luckily for me, I have the opportunity to go to a dealer auction to snag a better deal there. I just have a few basic questions to further assist my purchase. I'm hoping to get a G35 Coupe (04-06) with decent mileage in MTX.

Are there any common issues with the car that I should know about or be worried? Durability of these cars as they get older and more used? I'm looking to purchase the car with a warranty, however I will eventually mod it since I have a ridiculous obsession with cars and modifying them. Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated to help guide my in the right direction.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Here's my take on it:

#1. Tire Feathering/Roaring- Pretty much all G coupe models have tire feathering and tire roaring as the miles pack on. Most people do research on softer compound tires, ratings, etc to lessen the noise and buy adjustable camber kits to keep the feathering down/eliminated.

#2. Transmission- The 03/05 models share the same trannies as the Z. Be cautious of syncro/gear issues. You SHOULD be okay if you get an 06/07 model Coupe.

#3. Oil Consumption- 05/06 models- 05/06 have the REV-UP motor and there is a factory service bulletin on them having excessive oil consumption. We're talking bout a gallon every thousand miles, if not more.

#4. If you're a navigation kind of guy, definately look for one with it already. Trying to retrofit a factory NAV is either way too expensive or too complicated.

#5. 03/04 Brembo Brakes- The 03/04 Brembo brakes have some issues, particularly in regards to brake dust. That is why 05/07 models are NON-BREMBO brakes.

#6. RAS is definately a nice feature to have, not to mention for resale purposes RAS= Rear Active Steering. It is an optional package separate from the Premium, Aero, and Sport.

I think that's it, good luck finding one.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:55 AM
Tran 03 pretty much covered it all....make sure you take your time and find your self a good clean G for a decent price.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by tran03
Here's my take on it:

#1. Tire Feathering/Roaring- Pretty much all G coupe models have tire feathering and tire roaring as the miles pack on. Most people do research on softer compound tires, ratings, etc to lessen the noise and buy adjustable camber kits to keep the feathering down/eliminated.

#2. Transmission- The 03/05 models share the same trannies as the Z. Be cautious of syncro/gear issues. You SHOULD be okay if you get an 06/07 model Coupe.

#3. Oil Consumption- 05/06 models- 05/06 have the REV-UP motor and there is a factory service bulletin on them having excessive oil consumption. We're talking bout a gallon every thousand miles, if not more.

#4. If you're a navigation kind of guy, definately look for one with it already. Trying to retrofit a factory NAV is either way too expensive or too complicated.

#5. 03/04 Brembo Brakes- The 03/04 Brembo brakes have some issues, particularly in regards to brake dust. That is why 05/07 models are NON-BREMBO brakes.

#6. RAS is definately a nice feature to have, not to mention for resale purposes RAS= Rear Active Steering. It is an optional package separate from the Premium, Aero, and Sport.

I think that's it, good luck finding one.
Thank you very much for that information. I have a few more questions but I'll just search for answers. I actually prefer a G without navigation so I can retrofit a touchscreen of my own and run a CarPC.

One thing I've noticed is that ..best thing of all (for a seller) is that these cars seem to hold their value decently well.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:42 AM
No problem, definately spend your fair share of research on this website both before and after getting your G.

Well, good for the seller, yes, bad for the buyer. G's do hold their value well however most of the time G owners are trying to get too much for them which in turn makes it very difficult to find a G coupe that is close to its edmunds pricing.

I was fortunate enough to find a deal but as others said, take your time with shopping around for one. For 27-29K, immaculate ones can be found all day long.

The goal is to find those immaculate ones at 24-26K

Originally Posted by G35 4U2NV
Thank you very much for that information. I have a few more questions but I'll just search for answers. I actually prefer a G without navigation so I can retrofit a touchscreen of my own and run a CarPC.

One thing I've noticed is that ..best thing of all (for a seller) is that these cars seem to hold their value decently well.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:30 PM
also in the market

Tran03, I'm also in the market for a 2004-2006 G35 Coupe. Do these 2 points you mention affect both the AT and MT, or just the manual?

Originally Posted by tran03

Old 06-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi Kable,

To be completely honest, I never researched on the AT side however I do believe #2 relates particularly to the 6MT models.

The OC is across the board, AT/6MT would not be a determining factor in this as both use the same engine.

Hope that answers your questions.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WINDOW MOTORS!. make sure all the windows go u/down nicely without any lag or studdering. Other then that mines holding its own very well...