G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 02:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure if this is the issue I am having or not but after changing the oil today on my '05 g35 coupe automatic with 68K, I noticed some oil on my garage floor that leaked from near driver side. After looking directly above the oil leak on floor, I noticed some oil near engine mount. I started the car and no more oil leaked and car ran fine. Posted some pictures below. Would this still be covered under warranty if this was the problem? Just wanted to get some opionions before I go checking the coil packs and spark plugs. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!-picture-003.jpg   Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!-picture-004.jpg  
Old 09-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This would not be the splug gaskets but rather the rocker cover gasket which *is* replaceable(~$17 a side). I can't be sure just from seeing pictures under the vehicle but you can it will be hard to see the drivers side without removing the air intake hose from throttle body back.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by brmintz
This would not be the splug gaskets but rather the rocker cover gasket which *is* replaceable(~$17 a side). I can't be sure just from seeing pictures under the vehicle but you can it will be hard to see the drivers side without removing the air intake hose from throttle body back.

I this typically covered under the powertrain 70K warranty as well? I guess it would be good idea to check spark plugs too since I am almost reaching 70K.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Technically it should still be considered "drivetrain" so if your warranty still covers that and you are pretty positive about where the leak is you should be fine. I definitely wouldnt wait on it though if you are almost to 70k.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Yea, so I checked all spark plugs on driver side and no oil in any of those 3. Did see where it may be leaking from the rocker gasket. Called the dealership and they try to give me a bunch of BS and ask me dumb questions as if I didnt tighten the oil filter or oil plug so thats the reason for my leak. Bunch of idiots. So now I will have to bring my car in to get it checked out. On side note, if I dont have oil on driver side spark plugs, how likely is it that passenger side may be affected? Should I check these out or is only driver side affected?

Originally Posted by brmintz
Technically it should still be considered "drivetrain" so if your warranty still covers that and you are pretty positive about where the leak is you should be fine. I definitely wouldnt wait on it though if you are almost to 70k.

Old 09-23-2010, 05:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think same answer since some have reported oil leak on either or both sides. Since you're going in to have warranty work (hopefully) it is better to be safe than sorry...check the other plugs as well. If you really know and trust your dealer have them do it.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:04 PM
Check mine today and it's dry. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I checked all spark plug tubes and #6 had a tiny bit of oil (all others bone dry). Dealership required that I authorize the charge (1hr) to check. Thankfully, they've approved the work under powertrain warranty and have ordered a new valve cover (thus inspection charge covered).

My question is, would it be beneficial for me to order and pay for the 2nd valve cover for the passenger side - this way the dealership can just replace both at the same time. Or should I just stick to getting the one valve cover replaced and not worry.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Let them just fix the bad side. Before your powertrain warranty runs out, check both sides again. If there are leaks, bring it in again and they should fix it under warranty.

Old 10-03-2010, 04:57 AM
_
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Wait hold on, does 06 G got this problem?

Old 10-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^yes it could

Old 10-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I decided to get on this and check my plugs. 2, 4 and 6 were good. Went to replace 1, 3 and 5.. all good until I got to lucky #5. Dammit. So I have a service appt. with them tomorrow. However, I have 88k on my car.. Even when this thread originated, I had already passed the allowed miles. Anyway, lucky for me I purchased an extended warranty which I have used quite a bit.

I still have to pay $100, but I feel I shouldn't have to since it's a pretty common problem it seems like. Sure, it's NOT a safety issue that requires a national recall. I think that Infiniti needs to step up to the plate and correct these issues at no cost to the consumer. It's their product and they need to stand by it.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an 03 6mt/Premium. I found the problem 2 weeks ago after I installed a plenum and decided to change the plugs too. It should be an easy fix, does anyone know what parts/part #'s I need to purchase? Thanks

Old 10-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^Your probably better off calling a dealership and getting it that way.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrG3FIZZO
I have an 03 6mt/Premium. I found the problem 2 weeks ago after I installed a plenum and decided to change the plugs too. It should be an easy fix, does anyone know what parts/part #'s I need to purchase? Thanks
Good luck with that one! They wanted 300 to work on the car w/ the spacer in it because Infiniti only paid/reimbursed them for an hour and a half work on the valve replacement. So after taking care of a gps complaint and air bag recall, I will pick my car up tomorrow, remove the spacer and take it back to them on Tuesday. What a load of crock.

On another note.. talk about GPS. Has anyone had a problem with the elevator in their GPS? In the last month, after getting off work and starting up my car.. the gps pops up, rolls half way then w/o notice it just rolls back down. It has done this on hot days when my car has been sitting out all day. I don't know what the corralation is, but those have been the times it has done it. Anyone else?

Last edited by SKYY-35; 10-08-2010 at 02:22 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!