G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kevkno
Not necessarily. I called Infiniti of Tampa Bay today to see about my powertrain warranty. I gave the service advisor my VIN# and he told me my warranty expired 7/30/2009. I told him I had a 2005 and was referring to the "powertrain" warranty and not the "basic" warranty. He said "Nope" there was no warranty left and kind of cut me off. I said "thank you" and decided to call back later since I knew he was wrong. but I also knew he kind of told me what I needed to know since I was mainly interested in the month and the day of the expiration (since I knew I had 6yrs from 2005). When I called back later I intended to speak to a manager but the lady service advisor on the phone knew exactly what I was talking about. She looked up my VIN#, calculated the 6yrs from the "Born ON" date that she found for my car and told me my powertrain warranty expired 7/30/2011 (this Saturday). I explained that I wanted an inspection before it expired and she basically said "No problem". I go in this Wednesday.

I know there will be a cost involved but that's OK. I'm going to buy 6 spark plugs and have them change them out and check the valve covers and the plug wells for oil while they're in there. It clearly states "rocker covers" in the powertrain covered items so if they try to give me a hard time I'll just show them their own warranty documentation.
I got my foot in the door now we'll see how it goes.
so your saying I am still under warranty as well till this saturday? Could my "born On" date be different than yours? Because I did a walk in and told them about the oil in cylinder 6 and I was told I am out of warranty on (March 2011)

Old 07-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by truexh
so your saying I am still under warranty as well till this saturday? Could my "born On" date be different than yours? Because I did a walk in and told them about the oil in cylinder 6 and I was told I am out of warranty on (March 2011)
I was just saying that not everyone with an '05 or older is out of warranty just yet. Your car must be a few months older than mine. There may be some other 2005's out there that may have more time left.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:23 PM
I was just saying that not everyone with an '05 or older is out of warranty just yet. Your car must be a few months older than mine. There may be some other 2005's out there that may have more time left.
aww man, you got my hope up, I was about to call to explain what you said but never mind. Here goes $1000+ for the stealership... only if i knew this 4 months ago.

Can someone guide me to the right directions for parts number for 2 valve cover and all necessary gasket please.

Old 07-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Well I took my car in today for what they called a "safety inspection". I had a different service consultant than the one I spoke to on the phone. I explained what I was really looking for and told her why I really wanted the spark plugs changed since she said I shouldn't need plugs until 105k miles. So they check everything and sure enough there was some valve cover leakage around the plugs. The service consultant said the mechanic told her it was just small leakage and that I should be fine. If I wanted it repaired it would be $1100. I told her I still had warranty until this Saturday and she verified that. Then she said the valve covers were not covered under the powertrain warranty. I said "Yes it is!" I offered to show her the warranty docs but she just needed to verify it in her system and talk to someone. She was not rude or argumentative or anything and she was actually pretty nice. I overheard her talking to someone in the back (maybe one of the lead mechanics or something). That guy was questioning her about why I had them change the plugs and look for oil leaks. He sounded suspicious or something. Apparently they have never heard of this issue. Go figure. The service consultant came back and said she would take care of me but she had to write it up a certain way. I didn't ask any questions and said "thanks"

They also found bad compression rods and a burned out 3rd brake light. I'll handle those through my 3rd party bumper to bumper warranty that came with the car. They gave me a 2009 G37 loaner car that I'm testing out.

Overall, a pretty good experience with just a bit of resistance. Thanks to all who came before me and advised on this issue. This is not the first time this board has saved me money. This is the most money though Informed consumers are a force to reckon with.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coupe
Well I took my car in today for what they called a "safety inspection". I had a different service consultant than the one I spoke to on the phone. I explained what I was really looking for and told her why I really wanted the spark plugs changed since she said I shouldn't need plugs until 105k miles. So they check everything and sure enough there was some valve cover leakage around the plugs. The service consultant said the mechanic told her it was just small leakage and that I should be fine. If I wanted it repaired it would be $1100. I told her I still had warranty until this Saturday and she verified that. Then she said the valve covers were not covered under the powertrain warranty. I said "Yes it is!" I offered to show her the warranty docs but she just needed to verify it in her system and talk to someone. She was not rude or argumentative or anything and she was actually pretty nice. I overheard her talking to someone in the back (maybe one of the lead mechanics or something). That guy was questioning her about why I had them change the plugs and look for oil leaks. He sounded suspicious or something. Apparently they have never heard of this issue. Go figure. The service consultant came back and said she would take care of me but she had to write it up a certain way. I didn't ask any questions and said "thanks"

They also found bad compression rods and a burned out 3rd brake light. I'll handle those through my 3rd party bumper to bumper warranty that came with the car. They gave me a 2009 G37 loaner car that I'm testing out.

Overall, a pretty good experience with just a bit of resistance. Thanks to all who came before me and advised on this issue. This is not the first time this board has saved me money. This is the most money though Informed consumers are a force to reckon with.
How did you do that: Well I took my car in today for what they called a "safety inspection"

Did you call in ahead and asked for it or just walked in? Was is "free" to do or did they want you to pay up?

PS: Just checked and my extended warranty expires on 03/12 - the extended warranty does cover all of this, correct?

Last edited by ilyaat; 07-27-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by ilyaat
How did you do that: Well I took my car in today for what they called a "safety inspection"

Did you call in ahead and asked for it or just walked in? Was is "free" to do or did they want you to pay up?
The message you read was an update from an earlier message. I called Monday, verified existing warranty and set up an appt. I asked for a "powetrain inspection" before warranty expiration but they call it a "safety inspection".

Not many things are free in this world. I think it was around $120.00 plus the $187.00 for the spark plug install (I provided the plugs). Oh, and there is the $100.00 deductible for the compression rods and 3rd brake light but hey, my warranty company came through. They also wanted $100.00 to do the alignment after the compression rods but I have that covered through Tire Kingdom's 3yr unlimited alignment program. So, I didn't come out unscathed but I'm in way better shape than without the warranties.

BTW: If you are still in warranty they will only cover the valve covers. My 3rd party warranty took care of the other stuff. However, I don't know if your "extended" warranty is the same as the "powertrain" warranty I'm referring to.

Last edited by kevkno; 07-27-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
The message you read was an update from an earlier message. I called Monday, verified existing warranty and set up an appt. I asked for a "powetrain inspection" before warranty expiration but they call it a "safety inspection".

Not many things are free in this world. I think it was around $120.00 plus the $187.00 for the spark plug install (I provided the plugs). Oh, and there is the $100.00 deductible for the compression rods and 3rd brake light but hey, my warranty company came through. They also wanted $100.00 to do the alignment after the compression rods but I have that covered through Tire Kingdom's 3yr unlimited alignment program. So, I didn't come out unscathed but I'm in way better shape than without the warranties.

BTW: If you are still in warranty they will only cover the valve covers. My 3rd party warranty took care of the other stuff.
I finally get my car back today. Both valve covers replaced under powertrain warranty (expires next month in August /2011 WHEW!). Then, they were GOING to install the spark plugs I supplied, but then called me back to say it'll cost $128 to replace the supplied spark plugs since the valve covers don't require the plugs to be removed. I told them a friend got the spark plugs he supplied installed labor free when he had the oil leaking problem. They didn't care. I showed Kearny Mesa Infiniti my friend's invoice and he spoke with the manager and said he'll meet me halfway. At this point, I am furious for a few reasons.
1. They have the car open with the valve covers, engine cover, and intake off which means they are already AT the spark plugs and will charge me $128 in labor to unscrew 6 spark plugs and install 6 new spark plugs which takes 5 minutes to do.
2. The spark plugs were fouled due to the failure in the o-ring which was caused by Infiniti's o-ring which is covered under warranty.
3. MEETING ME HALFWAY? WTF?

So I called Infiniti Consumer Affairs, filed a claim for being treated differently and having to pay for my spark plugs when other people have gotten it replaced for free. They called the dealer same day (which was yesterday) and got it all squared away. The dealership called me today to tell me the plugs have been installed and my car is finally ready for pick up tonight!
What a nightmare!
I'm just happy I stopped the dealership from ripping me off big-time.
dealerships from america!
green lightsaber = me red lightsaber = dealerships!

@kevkno, the elite extended warranty covers everything in the power-train warranty and more.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by buzzking
I finally get my car back today. Both valve covers replaced under powertrain warranty (expires next month in August /2011 WHEW!). Then, they were GOING to install the spark plugs I supplied, but then called me back to say it'll cost $128 to replace the supplied spark plugs since the valve covers don't require the plugs to be removed. I told them a friend got the spark plugs he supplied installed labor free when he had the oil leaking problem. They didn't care. I showed Kearny Mesa Infiniti my friend's invoice and he spoke with the manager and said he'll meet me halfway. At this point, I am furious for a few reasons.
1. They have the car open with the valve covers, engine cover, and intake off which means they are already AT the spark plugs and will charge me $128 in labor to unscrew 6 spark plugs and install 6 new spark plugs which takes 5 minutes to do.
2. The spark plugs were fouled due to the failure in the o-ring which was caused by Infiniti's o-ring which is covered under warranty.

So I called Infiniti Consumer Affairs, filed a claim for being treated differently and having to pay for my spark plugs when other people have gotten it replaced for free. They called the dealer same day (which was yesterday) and got it all squared away. The dealership called me today to tell me the plugs have been installed and my car is finally ready for pick up tonight!
What a nightmare!
I'm just happy I stopped the dealership from ripping me off big-time.
dealerships from america!
green lightsaber = me red lightsaber = dealerships!

@kevkno, the elite extended warranty covers everything in the power-train warranty and more.
Sounds like you got a deal. The Infiniti dealership I went to seems to consistently charge more for everything compared to prices posted by others. I'm not gonna worry about it though. I can give some. I still come out ahead in the deal so I can let it go at that. Maybe I'll just ask them and see what they say. Can't hurt to ask.

Last edited by kevkno; 07-27-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by buzzking
Then, they were GOING to install the spark plugs I supplied, but then called me back to say it'll cost $128 to replace the supplied spark plugs since the valve covers don't require the plugs to be removed.............. I showed Kearny Mesa Infiniti my friend's invoice and he spoke with the manager and said he'll meet me halfway. At this point, I am furious for a few reasons.
Thanks for the update. I agree that $128 labor cost had to be starting from tearing down the top of the engine to get access to the plugs, not when they are just sitting there.

KM Infiniti is the closest place to me and I am nearing the end of my warranty. Good to know how they operate!

Old 07-28-2011, 02:47 PM
Received 291 Likes on 218 Posts
Wow..today was a rough day and the heat man...it will kill ya. I replaced both valve covers and gasket along with both compression rod bushing. Man I am tore up with having to pay the dealership the deductible to do all that.

I have an appt setup for tomorrow with SEWELL who tends to have very very good customer service. They will be taking care of some of the other things I need to have done to the vehicle under warranty. GAWD I LOVE THIS EXTENDED WARRANTY...DOMO

The last note about the noise is the TSB for the timing chain sprocket. Crest is not wanting to take care of some of the stuff and Sewell said they would do their best to take care of everything that crest missed and then some. I went to visit their service center and speak to the Assistant Service Manager today. Very nice facility and service advisers are professional. Let see how the experience turns out beginning with the loaner vehicle for the weekend.

Edit: Did not bother doing spark plugs since I have couple tricks up my sleeve for this car under warranty and if when the time comes to do the plugs they are cake to replace on my own.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:36 PM
I got my car back yesterday and found that they DID NOT replace the valve covers. When the service consultant confirmed a valve cover leak she meant that some oil was seeping past the valve cover gaskets a bit. So they took it apart and replaced the valve cover gaskets along with 5 other types of different misc. gaskets. Now I can only assume that the spark plug seals were OK since they had everything apart and would have looked in the wells since they replaced the plugs. Have to have faith on that one.

The car has a bit more pep with the new plugs in there. I had 65K miles and would definitely not suggest waiting until 105K miles to replace the spark plugs.

I'll probably take a look in there myself before I get to 100k miles (before the 3rd party warranty expires) just to make sure all is good.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:06 AM
Glad I've come across this thread. Just got an 05' with an extended 3yr/36k warranty so I'll be checking this early next week. Hopefully I'm good, but if not, I'm still under 70k and $100 for warranty deductible is the worst I could possibly see, and I get the new "improved" covers... This will also be a good opportunity to see how the Infiniti dealerships treat customers here in Dallas. We shall see... Thanks for the thread...

Old 08-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Just a note: Ran through the check and my 06 6mt coupe was perfectly clean!

!!!BUT!!! Be very careful threading the bolts that hold the coil packs back in. Snapped off one bolt and cross threaded another on Cyl 3+5 respectively (passenger side). As it's awkward and your screwing into a brass receptacle this can easily happen.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Coupe
W00t. Finally pulled the plug and took my car in for the check up (also to fix few other things). My dealer already heard about such problem, so he said "Sure, we'll check it out. But there's a $75 diagnostic fee if we don't find anything"..hold and behold, they found the problem

Thanks, G35 Forums!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:57 PM
So is this a every year G35 kinda thing or does this only effect certain years?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check this before your powertrain warranty is up!