G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 or STi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2004 | 11:08 AM
Re: G35 or STi

Get the STI. I drove it before and the car is amazing! The power is incredible and the car is extremely fast. I currently own a 03' G35 and the car is fun, powerful, and looks good, but my adrenaline rises when i see the STI. Especially the blue with gold rims. Besides, you will save yourself a headache in the winter. the STI can be driven year around, but the G is a fish out of water when the winter months arrive.

Old 04-29-2004 | 11:56 AM

not necessarily. i got the STi for 32k, about 1k less than the G...

Old 04-29-2004 | 12:25 PM

I got my G coupe 6MT with Prem for under $32.6k with VPP which saved a lot. Would have been$30.5 without premium which still gets a lot more bells and whistles than the STI...if that's important to you.

STI's I'm sure are fun, but I've driven in my buddies and its a different class of car. If I was 20-25 I'd say sure, but I have 2 kids with another on the way and it just isn't really the car I'd want with my wife and kids in my early 30's. Great car but wrong category for me.

Cheers

Old 04-29-2004 | 01:09 PM

Here is another factor.... INSURANCE... I'm paying 523 every 6 months for full coverage with a 500 deductible on my G35 Coupe. The insurance on the WRX was 858.00 bucks for the same coverage. I'm sure the STI will be even higher.

Old 04-29-2004 | 01:27 PM

I say...buy which ever one you can afford. Don't break your neck trying to make car payments.

Also, from your style of writing, I can tell you are a lil boy getting a big present from your parents. =]

Old 04-29-2004 | 03:09 PM

I'm jealous if that's the case. When I got my license my father made pay 600 bucks for one of the family vehicles. It was a real brute too LOL It was a 1972 Mercury Comet It was powder puff blue with rims that matched the color. I had that for one year before it died and I had invested a lot of money into it. I then got a brand new 1987 Honda CRX which had no power anything and the only thing I got was AC not even a radio. Sad to say up until last Halloween it was my main ride before I got to treat myself with the 2004 G35 Coupe.

Old 04-29-2004 | 03:33 PM

apples or oranges? blondes or brunetts?

two different beasts....

OG 03.5

Old 04-29-2004 | 03:56 PM

despite what someone said, the sti is nowhere near its "max" potential. the ecu has just recently been cracked, so a whole new, uncharted world of tuning is opening to the sti community. i personally prefer the sti over the g any day of the week. while it may not appeal to the "masses" as the g does, it's a car that will be recognized by other enthusiasts such as yourself. due to the g's "beauty," or "better looks," it has sold copious amounts and has, imo, begun blending into the background with all the other cars on the road. there are fewer STis, and as a result, the STi community is much more tightly knit (as is the evo community). you don't see g drivers waving at each other, or going out of their way to say hello to each other nearly as much as the sti owners. what's going to attract more attention? i think the sti will. how many gs have other people coming up and asking "what've you done to your car" or just chatting because you and the stranger obviously have similar interests? the g cuts across demographics and interests... the sti is much more focused in its community and marketing demographic, so those that like your car and those that drive your car will most likely be those that you could get along with.

i personally think you should go see a white or black sti with gold rims... then i think the choice would be pretty clear

but then, amenities just don't appeal to me...

Old 04-29-2004 | 04:37 PM

I own a modded low 12 second Evo (http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=69890)

But my wife and I just bought a G35 coupe as well.
I gotta say, the evo is a world beater. With minor mods, I've been able to keep up with 911 tt's...and anything slower is a snack to me. It now posesses supercar power, insane brakes, and handling that is absolutely jaw dropping. But......after driving the evo for several months, I discovered I am never really able to open her up anywhere on public streets. All this performance and power..but no place to use it..kind of a waste.. I never track it, I just use it as a daily driver so for me and most everyone else, driving the sti or evo is kind of like eating soup with a fork. Not the right tool for the job. Now the G on the other hand....it is DEFINITELY a lot slower and not as tight as my evo.. but I can appreciate and take advantage of the smooth ride, the plush leather seating, the dual zone ac, etc as soon as I get in the car and even though it is slower, it still is no slouch and has ample passing power. After owning both, I definitely use the G's amenities and features more than the Evo's performance so to me, I find more value in the G.

(Although there are many times that I have "grass is greener on the other side syndrome" and when I'm in the Evo, I wish for soft leather, a classy looking exterior, and quite cabin...of course vice versa when I'm in the G, I wish for exotic killing performance.)

Old 04-29-2004 | 04:57 PM

Get the g. Subaru's are unreliable and they break easily.

Old 04-29-2004 | 05:50 PM

someone told me that sti's had more problems in their cars sinec they tried to rush the release of that car to compete with the evo or something. dunno, supposedly they didn't test it as much as they could've. i haven't heard anyone second this, nor turn it down.

[ 2004 G35 coupe ] - | 6MT | Black/Graphite | Premium |

Old 04-29-2004 | 07:12 PM
|

"i mean if u have the money to buy STI
u also have the money to add a TT or SC to G35 smoke the STI any time!"

SUPSUP
STi go for 29k (more or less) thesedays
i can get G35 through costco program thingy for 30~32k

I live in WA...state of rain
i know G35 has a great traction control but i dont know if i would take RWD with traction control over AWD...i just wish
infiniti (nissan) offers an optional AWD (skyline is all about AWD pimpness)

any experiences, that you wanna share, on rainy day driving with traction control on or off??

Old 04-29-2004 | 07:39 PM

G35 = Sexxx (as in sexy)
STI = nothing (as in [censored])

Quick Robin... TO THE BATMOBILE.

Old 04-29-2004 | 07:57 PM

Here is what i think of both car:
STI: pure performance, it has nothing more to offer other than the big turbo and 4.7sec in 0-60mph. However, i see it as an heavily modded subaru, while it does not use carbon fiber (i think evo use them) to reduce the weigh, instead they just use cheaper materials to reduce the weigh. (my friend complaint the door sucks and sounds like it gonna crack everytime he close it) But if you are talking about performance, nothing except heavily modded civic or evo will have better price/performance ratio than STI. Just remember one thing tho, it only has 20 more hp than us. (even less difference in hp on the wheel due to AWD has greater transmission loss) The only thing that makes it run faster is its weigh, but not by using carbon fiber like evo and nsx, it's light becuz it uses cheaper materials and no moonroof...etc. (imagine a car with build quality same as civic, but with 300hp, of course it can go fast)

G35C: In term of class, luxury, interior, STI is nowhere near the G. So basically you sacrifice the class, luxury for the 20hp difference. Of course the STI outperformed G, but you gotta think If G35C has no moonroof, no solid doors, no leather seats, cheaper build quality and materials to reduced its weigh, it will be almost as fast as the STI. Reliability is another issue, previous wrx usually have problems after 3 years, while Infiniti ranked 2nd in the "least problems reported" right after Lexus. (Subaru is probably in the top ten of "most problems reported") However, i do think looks is all about personal preference.

Basically, i am trying to say, imo Infinti spend much more money to build one G35C than Subaru to build one STI. Why? Becuz STI has no value beside its "turbo", and with the Turbo it is still only 20hp more. (it's light becuz the materials is light, but not using CF, as you lose safety and build quality the same time you gain on the performance) plus, G35's VQ35 is one of the established best V6 engine in the world. STI is still running on a 4 cylinder 2.5L engine. Now is the turbo with 20 more hp and 1 sec differential in 0-60 worth giving up the materials, safty, class, luxury, interiors, radio, insurance, resale value, moonroof and the name? It's your money so you be the judge.

PS. STi attracts more attention? Only to racerboys imo, i get enough compliments even from wendy's pick up windows and heard enough ppl saying "howz that car?", the other one answers "sweet" while i am going out from a shop. Not to mention so many time ppl in the parking lot gather around my car just to look at it, while i am driking coffee in starbucks and enjoy it. One example., STi will get more attention on racerboys (Just as modified Civic has a "tight" community and wave to another modded civic), but Porsche will always get more "looks" on the street.

Old 04-29-2004 | 08:52 PM

As most people have mentioned the features of both cars, I'm not gonna add more to that. I think both cars cater to different demographics and lifestyles.

If you're in your twenties, with active lifestyle (especially on the track and going to car meets every week), and purely love driving, then get the STi. The STi is a limited production model with turbo and AWD performance that is marketed to Rallycar enthusiasts. Street legal version of the WRC cars. Extreme pocket rocket right out of the factory which means performance that comes with the manufacturer's warranty. (Not aftermarket tuning to void warranty). Much like the Integra Type R was a limited production model from the factory for hardcored enthusiasts.

If you're a bit older and/or climbing up the corporate ladder image type, then the G35 Coupe would be a nice choice. Sleek, classy exterior styling (almost comparable with Mercedes Benz body curves), with a fairly plush interior, and extremely decent performance and handling, and lastly a very nice exotic sounding exhaust system.

Since you live in WA State, I had a look a few months back at the EVO and STi. The black EVO was at the dealership in Burlington and the blue STi was at the Bellingham dealership. Both cars were marked up $5,000 above MSRP. Not sure if you can get a good deal on one since they are selling them at a premium.

Another thing to consider (as someone else here has already mentioned) is the difference in cost for insurance. This difference can be small or huge and can be a determining factor on your purchase.

If I had the money, I would buy both. Unfortunately, I only have enough to buy one.

Good luck on your decision. You won't regret choosing either one.

G35C 6M BS/G
Revved to 6k, looking for 7th gear!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 or STi