G35 or STi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2004 | 07:44 PM
|
G35 or STi

hi i'm new to this board but i'm not new to G35
my friend's got G35 and i've been in it a lot and stuff
and STi... i've driven it for couple days...sweet car and its AWD...but its not nice inside and stuff

i'm gonna get a car around june-ish
i had 5 cars to choose from
1. G35 coupe...(4 door is gay)
2. STi
3. New legacy (check www.legacysti.com)
4. Evo
5. A4

but i figured i wouldn't really want legacy, evo and a4
so now i need to eliminate either STi or G35...
i posted exact samething on STi forum
and everysingle one of'em told me to get STi
so i wanted to know what yall think

Old 04-28-2004 | 09:42 PM
Re: G35 or STi

Infniti sold much more G35C than Subaru sold STI by far (monthly i mean), i guess that tell you what's the majority's opinion on these two cars. Eitherway, go for whichever you like. You will get bias opinions on this board and vise versa in the STI board.

IMO STI you either really like it or think it is hell ugly. (I'd say from what i heard 30% think it's damn sexy, and others think it's damn ugly, especially chicks) On the other hand G35C always get compliments 90% of the time.

Old 04-28-2004 | 10:18 PM

The choice is easy if you know what you want in your next car.

G35 coupe=Excellent performance + decent luxury.
STi=All out performance + no luxury.

I'm a fan of the STi but I had to have something that's at least as luxurious as my top of the line 98 Accord coupe. Something like the STi or Evo simply does not provide that. As an added bonus, I think the G coupe looks much better than the STi. And I think the STi is a sexy car. So for me, the choice was easy. The two cars are basically apples and oranges. If you know what you're after, you've already chosen the car.
Have fun.

<font color=purple>2004 G35 Coupe Diamond Graphite/Graphite 5AT</font color=purple>
Premium, Nav., 18" Wheels, Z-Xtreme Hyper Grounding Cables,
K&N filter, Clear Corners, 350Z Aluminum Pedals,
Sony Ericsson HCB-30

Old 04-28-2004 | 10:29 PM

Depends what you want really. STI = sport and speed, looks are ok but not great, get an STI if you dont care about luxury. G35 = some pwr/spd, luxory, looks 100times better then sti and girls =x

Old 04-28-2004 | 11:39 PM

like everyone else says, its all a matter of what you prefer
probably the same as most people on this forum, i wanted a mix of luxury and sport. hence i got the g35. if you're looking for all sport, sti should do you just fine. but if you want a taste of luxury, g35 fits well and looks nicer [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

from my friends who own sti's, i've seen a common trait in how much pride they have in that thing. not by the quality of the car, but just their general personality. maybe that's why all the people in the sti forum are saying that. haha i don't know.
if you still can't decide, try other factors as in costs/maintenance and all the other mumbo jumbo.

good luck with your choice

[ 2004 G35 coupe ] - | 6MT | Black/Graphite | Premium |

Old 04-28-2004 | 11:53 PM

doesn't even come with a radio

i thot it had a radio.

Old 04-29-2004 | 02:23 AM

nope, the radio is an option.

i had an STi, it was a great car while i had it. like most everyone else said if you're looking for 100% performance and NO, and i mean NO luxury get the STi. If you want great performance, and luxury get the G. For the guy who said chics dig the G, we also dig the STi, atleast those of us who have taste in perfomance cars

i had the option of getting another STi, but honestly didn't feel like i would drive the car it was made to be driven - you know, through windy dirt roads, rallying through the african safari, or gliding on top of iced stages in the netherlands after owning both a wrx and an STi, i can honestly say i don't regret getting a G. it's a quick little car that can definitely hold it's own against the wrx (possibly even an STi, with a crappy driver). i apologize for not being able to give you the raw data as far as STi vs. G in performance. All I can say is that they are both great cars...it's a difficult decision. If you're that stuck get the G, you can have both for about the same price you'd be able to get the STi for.

Old 04-29-2004 | 05:17 AM

I've never driven an STi, but as far as I can see what it is is a good old fashioned "factory hot rod" - a sedan (an economy sedan at that) refitted with a hopped-up engine, beefed up chassis and some (pretty ricey IMO) appearance add-ons. So it has great performance and boy-racer looks but little else to its credit.

Th G35C on the other hand is in the tradition of classic sports/GT cars like 4 passenger Ferraris, Maseratis, BMW 6 series etc. (not to put it in the same price/prestige class as them). As such it's a car born from the ground up as what it is; not a hot-rodded version of something else.

It's a matter of taste, ultimately. If outright performance (especially acceleration) and boy-racer image rocks your world, get the STi. If a blend of slightly lower straight-line performance, classic looks and a nice measure of luxury suits you better, get the G coupe. Either car will be surely lots of fun to drive.

Old 04-29-2004 | 05:23 AM

i think u go for g35...
cos for the money u get good inside and outside look!
STI cost more then G35 ...
i mean if u have the money to buy STI
u also have the money to add a TT or SC to G35 smoke the STI any time!

Old 04-29-2004 | 06:39 AM

neohh,

Be careful using that logic. I know for a fact that the BMW 3 series and the new TL are selling higher volume than the G35, that doesn't necessarily make them "better" cars...

I do, however, understand your point.

Self proclaimed member of the 300bhp club (soon to be even more [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img])

Old 04-29-2004 | 08:53 AM

neohh,

# of car sales might be one measure, but... there are more bmw 330's on road, yet g35 owners will say how our g's are better. you can also find other cars outselling it.

04 6mtC, DG - possibly most babied G on the board.

Old 04-29-2004 | 09:17 AM

get the STi

fewer G's on the road then =)

---
2004 Twlight Blue/Willow 6mt Coupe.
Bel Vector 985 Hardwired.
Grounding Kit.
Splash Guards.
Next Project: Carputer.

Old 04-29-2004 | 09:31 AM
FGC Central Florida BOD

i second that...I think infiniti should make a max of ONE g35 per month and sell it for..umm... quarter mil sound reasonable???

'03 G35 Coupe | Black on Black | Performance | 20% tint | Clear Corners | http://www.cardomain.com/id/dabomb3

Old 04-29-2004 | 10:00 AM

I'm sure if you looked at resale value the G35 will long term probably hold its value much better. Based on recent reports the G35 Coupe was in the top 5 or 10 cars I believe for retaining value over 5 years. Not having looked up STIs I would think primarily due to it being a Suburu and not as "attractive" to the general public it wouldn't demand as much as a resale. Again I could be wrong but I'd think there are more people intersted in a G Coupe as a resale than a STI resale since the STI is more of a specialty car for track purposes.

My coworker has an STi and he thinks its "fugly" but he has a blast at AutoX. To me its just misses entirely on the classy looks side....no way in hell would I have got an STI by my wife coming from an A4....of course she thought I was nuts getting the G but I did it anyway 8^) And now she drives it whenever she can.

Just consider what purposes you intend to use the car for and perhaps how long you will have it. For me it was the far superior (IMO) looks, 4 seats, nice interior, reliability, of course the higher performance characteristics and value that sold me on the G. I could find no other car that rated strongly in all those categories and it was much less than any close competitor. The G has plenty of potential for improvement to boot with engine and handling mods whereas STI's are a boosted 4 cylinder closer to its safe performance max than the G would be. To each his own...for me the STI would be a fun weekend car but would fall short as a daily driver with a family and more corporate job to consider.

Good luck deciding....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 or STi