G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 or STi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2004 | 11:39 PM
Re: G35 or STi

neohh... while the hp loss to drivetrain sucks, it's still something like a second faster than a z through the 1/4 mile. you're not just buying a 4.7 sec 0-60 time. you're buying all wheel drive handling that, other than the evo, is without compare in its class/price range.

i don't know what starbucks you go to, but on the way to starbucks around here you'll see something like 30 Gs. i've already said that the g is a more general car that appeals to a broader demographic... that's why the jackass at wendy's will say something. but the image of a g is nowhere near as defining as the STi; the STi implies you're into road racing, rally, autox, etc. etc. the G is too vague. that's my point. only the people that are into the implied interests of the STi will know or care about your car, whereas the jackasses at the local yuppy hangout with audi tts will fawn over a G.

Old 04-30-2004 | 01:05 AM

The G35's 18" wheel/tires supposedly have great wet traction, so it shouldn't be an issue in a rainly state.

As for seeing tons of G35s on the road, I think it depends on where you live. Here in Minnesota, G coupes are still relatively rare. I probably see as many G coupes as STis, which isn't many. I see significantly more Audi TTs, Mustangs, and Eclipses here (especially the latter 2, almost as plentiful as Accords).

<font color=purple>2004 G35 Coupe Diamond Graphite/Graphite 5AT</font color=purple>
Premium, Nav., 18" Wheels, Z-Xtreme Hyper Grounding Cables,
K&N filter, Clear Corners, 350Z Aluminum Pedals,
Sony Ericsson HCB-30

Old 04-30-2004 | 10:35 AM

Hueman,

If you read my post I compared STI being more maxed out thans the G. If you understood my point you'd see that an STI is already FI'd as is a 4 cylinder. The G is a 6 cylinder 3.5L non-FI'd car. You can't tell me putting a TT or Supercharger on a G similar to a STI has wouldn't put the G HP in another class. There have been plenty of people on this board that have gone FI and can attest to the difference. So my point is that the G has more potential considering it doesn't come standard with FI...make sense? I'm sure if you took the cars and did the same type mods the G would have more HP and torque due to engine displacement. If you stripped the hell out of the g and put light/cheap material like the Sub has I don't think there would be much to compare performance wise.

Regarding the drive through "jackasses" and "yuppies" I can only comment that insulting people in general won't hold much water on this forum. You sound exceedingly immature making comments like that. I'm clear you favor the STI over the G...that's fine. I like the STI too, but not for its looks. Had Subaru put out a 4 seater that didn't look like a riced out hyundai and had SOME sense of what I feel is classiness I'd consider it, but I'm not 20 anymore and don't want the styling of an STI. Again my 40 year old coworker drives a new STI and he says its an ugly SOB but its a blast to drive, which is what Subaru decided to sacrifice to price a value performance car.

Personally I don't like being labeled by what kind of car I drive. An idiot with money or a credit line (and they are out there) can buy a G or an STI. Should I label them as being a Yuppy or a Road Rallier respectively, just because they bought a fricken car? Lets all show some maturity and agree to disagree without throwing meaningless insults at people working in coffee shops...some of them own STI's and G's you know.

3 kids, 1 wife....1 DG/Willow G Coupe.....what more could I need?

Old 04-30-2004 | 12:10 PM

2 very diff cars for diff tastes. STi's are for the more perfomance oriented while G is for the more refined. everyday driver G's gets the nod but car with a bite and appeals to the performance nut? id say sti. Personally i was thinking about the sti, but that damn interior is inferior~

Old 04-30-2004 | 12:56 PM

i never ever comment about post like these, because they always end up the same way. the car forum (in this case, the G35) you post in , no matter what you will always get more biased opinions FOR the forum car (G35) with some occasional comments for both cars (people who own both, or are car enthusists with open minds). im sure the post you put in the STI forum went the same way, more towards the STI because infact i read a few on G35 vs STI in STI forums because i too was interested in the same topic, and there too you had people saying how the infiniti was not reliable blahblah.... i have seen countless posts in dozen of other forums (nsx vs. surpra, being one that seems to always stir alot of emotional posts) and some people in the nsx forum will always dog on the supra, and some people in the supra forum will always dog on the nsx. and whats with all these comments??? "subarus break easy" yea maybe early 90 models (my uncles pos suby backing this up) but the new models have been rated fairly high in consumers reports etc... and "but not by using carbon fiber like evo and nsx, it's light becuz it uses cheaper materials and no moonroof." yea by the way there is no carbon fiber anywhere on a nsx, its all aluminum buddy, and the evos only part is the MIDDLE of the optional wing. they didnt use "cheaper materials" to build the STI, they just didnt use any extra comfort materials (anything to damper outisde sound in the doors being one example). but really it all comes down to you must make the choice for yourself, drive both, see what your needs are and go from there, dont take a majority of your advice from forum members opinions.

Old 04-30-2004 | 02:08 PM

you're right, i apologize for those remarks. i use the term "jackass" in constant rotation in my lingo and i don't mean it as degrading, though it comes off that way without my intention. i refer to my strangers, friends and myself as such on more than regular basis and have come to use terms such as those (and worse) to refer to people.