G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Bose audio system not up to par?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 09:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bose audio system not up to par?

I have been driving a G35 4 door for the past week while my coupe is for service. The highs in the Bose sound system seem to sound much brighter to me than my coupe. I know it is only a stock sound system but I did by the premium audio system and have to admit that while the bass sounds decent, (being and audiophile). That the highs just don't sound very crisp at all, in fact they seemed to get drowned rather easily by the bass. I have tried adjusting the Treble and bass to many differant settings as well as the road noise adjustment. A friend of mine whom owns a 2002 Audi A4 has the stock premium bose system in his car and it sounds even better. Wondering if I should ask them to look at it while it's in for service? I don't know what they could do but does anyone have any suggestions beside replacing the stock system. I do have to admit I was spoiled because my last car had all top of the line MB Quart speakers but hey I think it should at least moderately good. Ideas?

Jason
Laser Red 03' Prem/Aero/6MT/SnRf

Old 03-10-2003, 10:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Bose audio system not up to par?

This may be a common thing. My coupe has the same problem and I suspect it may have to do with bad filters for the front tweeters. You get some midrange and even some high-frequency bass in there, which you shouldn't on tweeters. It can be remedied pretty easily if you don't mind ripping up your door to get at the speaker, all you need to do is install a capacitor on the speaker line as a high-pass filter.

Old 03-11-2003, 12:16 AM

I'm a big audiophile and maybe back in the day when I drove junkers that's exactly what I would do. But I guess with this car I just expected a little more from the Bose system especially with the extra expense. I've also heard the premium bose system in the old I30 and it even sound better. That's where my concern lies. Hmmm..

Jason

Old 03-11-2003, 12:50 AM

The coupe has 220watts on the bose system while the sedan has 200watts

Old 03-11-2003, 02:44 AM

And yet, the sedan has 7 speakers, while the coupe has 6. Strange.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 03-11-2003, 08:31 AM

the coupe has eight.
2 in the rear deck.
2 in the rear side panels.
2 in the front door panels.
and 2 tweeters up front.

Old 03-11-2003, 09:16 AM

You're right. It says "eight" right there on the website, right next to "6-disc in-dash changer" -- that's what I get for reading late at night.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 03-12-2003, 07:06 PM

Dude...different cars, different cabins, different sized speakers/positions...different acoustics. Not all cars are going to sound the same, no matter even if the maker and the wattage are the same. And you do realize as well that the sedan you were driving had a sub...which in turn, gives less work to the other "6" speakers...which in turn allows each speaker to cover a certain sound range better. I think the premium system in the coupe sounds pretty damn good for a lack of a sub and the location of the tweeters in the rear...and the lack of the sub in the coupe means that the other speakers have to cover a broader range of sound, which means that each separate speaker is not going to be as accurate as say, the sedan that has the sub. I'm sure it's something that as Bose has more time to develope in upcoming models that they will fix or make better.

Old 03-12-2003, 11:38 PM

I'm quite aware of the "differances" that may exist between the two. Howevre, I consider my ear a very discriminating one and am measuring the frequency response of the "front Stage". Those are the tweaters and door speakers. I know the Coupe has * speakers and does not have sub. This bas response is quite good and not a problem with me. My issue is with the audible clarity and brightness of the front speakers. The Sedan and and the Coupe I drove seemed differant. The Sedan (to me) had a clearer front staging. Also being an "audio expert" yourself you would most certainly understand that the response of differinng speakers in differant cabins is a direct result of the speakers frequency range. Tweeters have a high frequency range and therefore should not be effected by cabin size changes as much. As Higher frequencies travel at slower speeds through the air which causes this effect. Lower frequenies travel faster since their wave length is differant, thus being more affected by cabin size. So your arguement is really not valid since what I am "complaining" about is high frequency sound in the front. Off my box and thank you....

Jason