G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Drive by Wire?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive by Wire?

Mmmk, so I've noticed that my recently acquired 6MT is drive by wire. I'm appalled. I noticed the horrible throttle response and decided to take a look under the hood to make sure and although there is a ridiculous amount of plastic covering the engine, I think I've determined that it is drive by wire (as far as throttle is concerned). Please let me know if I'm wrong. In my opinion, the problems everyone has been having with their clutches is not because of a high-engagement point, but a unresponsive throttle. Is there any way to convert the system to a cable and TPS system or increase the response of the existing system?

I don't mean to dog the car extra hard. I do love the vehicle to death, but there are always those little things that leave you thinking. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys, have a good one.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:11 PM
whats Mmmk?

Old 07-21-2008, 10:14 PM
you mean like M'kay.....

Idk, I have an AutoMAtic, with the Extra Cool Tip_Tronic Feature, no clutch for ME !!!

Old 07-21-2008, 10:15 PM
most all production cars nowadays are so emotional attached to Computerized bullshyt its amazing

Old 07-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The throttle is electronic.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:45 AM
Have 86K on my 'drive by wire' 04 6MT and have no problems at all... Throttle response problems? Whats that?
Wanna' check my throttle response? Pull up on side of me!

There is nothing wrong with drive by wire, all manufacturers are playing with it now, Nissan is just a little ahead of them.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by htownboy
Have 86K on my 'drive by wire' 04 6MT and have no problems at all... Throttle response problems? Whats that?
Wanna' check my throttle response? Pull up on side of me!

There is nothing wrong with drive by wire, all manufacturers are playing with it now, Nissan is just a little ahead of them.
Although I appreciate your . . . help, in my opninion the throttle response is poor. This is coming from someone who has done a lot of driving in a lot of different cars, and I'm not talking about just daily driving either. I race and I work on cars, I am not some dumb kid who wants to do better burnouts. I know manufacturers are playing with drive by wire (yes it is actually called that) and although you may not be having problems, in order for me to do what I know this car can do, I would like some better throttle response. I did not make the post in order to challenege you to a race or insult your G, so unless you have something to offer, please do not reply.

I'm terribly sorry if I insulted anyone else by making an agitated reply to this guy. Feel free to take it up with me in a private message.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
rumor has it the the GTM reflash or the Technosquare reflash reduces lag time in the drive by wire. no other way to modify those values on your own, so you have to live with it.

i know what you are talking about.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Nin
jesus...i HATE drive by wire as well

it's definitely annoying in the g35 but i've managed to deal with it

cable > wire

why mess with a good thing?

Old 07-22-2008, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by SenorCole86
Although I appreciate your . . . help, in my opninion the throttle response is poor. This is coming from someone who has done a lot of driving in a lot of different cars, and I'm not talking about just daily driving either. I race and I work on cars, I am not some dumb kid who wants to do better burnouts. I know manufacturers are playing with drive by wire (yes it is actually called that) and although you may not be having problems, in order for me to do what I know this car can do, I would like some better throttle response. I did not make the post in order to challenege you to a race or insult your G, so unless you have something to offer, please do not reply.

I'm terribly sorry if I insulted anyone else by making an agitated reply to this guy. Feel free to take it up with me in a private message.
No insult taken and please don't take the comments wrong... The drive by wire works great when all is properly working; I was just trying to make my case... Nisssan races with this technology; do you really thing they would handicap themselves with an inferior throttle body?
I want to make a strong statement that it's 2008 and drive by wire, when properly working, is better than the conventional butterfly setup or it would not be on these engines or the GT-R.
Seek a reputable shop to have your car properly repaired because if it were responding like mine, you would not be here expressing doubts about the drive by wire

Last edited by htownboy; 07-23-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:12 AM
Interesting thread. I just bought a g35 also. I noticed the DBW, its noticeable but not toooo bad, but just not as easy to drive un jerky with throttle cable cars.

And whats up with the jump in like 500rpm everytime you shift and get off the throttle??? That cant help Gas Mileage.

And can someone explain to me the "lsd" on tehse cars? Its liquid filled or something??

Old 07-23-2008, 10:09 AM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I did some searching on the web and came across this old thread about proflow throttle bodies. The company proflow design can bore out the throttle body from 70mm to 72mm (this assuming the throttle body for Z and G are the same) and they state this results in a increase in air flow capacity as well as throttle response.

Here is a quote from the thread with a response from proflow design about what they do with our particular throttle body:

"Jim informed me that with these throttle bodies there is little to be gained from the bore itself. We are talking only a few mm. Where the gains come from are the new throttle plates, low profile fasteners, and modifying the shaft that holds the throttle plate. He said that modifying the shaft is what results in better flow and gains."

link: CLICKY

Old 07-23-2008, 10:52 AM
Check out Technosquare's website. Their reflash addresses the drive-by-wire throttle response. Yes there is a slight hesitation with the OEM setup...

Bolivian, LSD is limited slip differential.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:59 PM
VDC would be impossible without throttle-by-wire. That's the way it cuts the power when the drive wheels break loose.

Not sure if you will kill the sensors if you manually operate the throttle while the engine is going. I know you will if you operate it when the engine is turned off (that's why so many have to reprogram their throttle after doing work on the plenum).

I'm sure you could convert to cable if you completely replaced the engine management system, but that seems to be a big step.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by Curt G
VDC would be impossible without throttle-by-wire. That's the way it cuts the power when the drive wheels break loose.

Not sure if you will kill the sensors if you manually operate the throttle while the engine is going. I know you will if you operate it when the engine is turned off (that's why so many have to reprogram their throttle after doing work on the plenum).

I'm sure you could convert to cable if you completely replaced the engine management system, but that seems to be a big step.
Also things like how the computer calculates Fuel, speedo, new computer, etc.

And not to mention a new pedal with a cable connection from some Nissan car.

My question was lol how does the LSD in these cars work? I am from the honda world where we have Helical LSDs not so much vicious ones like G35s. Do they work the same? Can they take abuse? Isnt it have to do with liquid in side?

Edit: Here is a Def. i found from a quick search on google lol.

[Helical/Honda LSD's]
Manual versions of the Nissan 2005X are fitted with a helical limited-slip rear differential, as fitted to the V Spec Skyline GT-R coupe. Under acceleration, the helical LSD provides faster traction control than a conventional clutch-type LSD or viscous LSD and without relying on the performance of the Viscous Coupling oil as used in a Viscous LSD. Basically, the Helical LSD generates torque to both left and right rear wheels by frictional force between the gear teeth and the differential case.

If one wheel loses traction and tries to spin, that axle's side gear rotates slightly faster, so transmitting the lost torque through the helical gears and back to the differential case. The engine torque is also applied to the same part of the case through the final gear so it in turn drives the road wheel through its side gear.

Honda equipped the Integra Type-R with a helical LSD, which is a superior type of LSD that does not incur power loss compared to the normal viscous coupling LSD

The helical LSD tranny of the Nissan SE-R Spec-V allows the front wheels to rotate at different rates while still applying torque equally, reducing understeer in the corners and allowing you to grab gears on the twisties and apply the throttle in turns sooner with more control.
[/quote]

Originally Posted by Viscous-type limited slip differentials:/G35's
A viscous-type LSD uses a thick fluid sandwiched between plates, one plate being connected to (drives) each wheel. When a rotation difference occurs between wheels, the faster plate spins the fluid which in turn spins the slower plate, hence transferring power from the faster wheel to the slower wheel. Viscous units have two spinning disks that face each other. Each has a vaned surface and there's a viscous (oddly enough) fluid between them. The fluid has the property that shear forces thicken it. As long as the two disks spin at relatively similar speeds the fluid is "thin". When there is a differential between the two, because one wheel is slipping or you're going around a corner, the fluid is sheared and thickens. The thicker fluid loosely couples the two vaned disks thus limiting slip. <u>Viscous LSDs generally provide something like 20-25% coupling efficiency</u>.

A viscous-type LSD has the advantage of requiring little to no maintenance, since the fluid never wears out. However, from a performance standpoint, a viscous-type LSD is not ideal. On a viscous LSD, it takes a split-second for the LSD to react to slip as the fluid must speed up before it starts turning the slower plate. On higher horsepower cars, any lag in response resulting in uneven traction is especially undesirable.

In Miata’s, Viscous LSD's are notable for failures at your 145K milage with moderate to hard usage.
This was interesting, and led to my last question, what i have bolded.

It seems that this LSD it says is not good for High WHP, but how about for a weekend drag/autox'er? Will it do?? Or is my 60ft not being helped at all???

The slip part is wierd too that i experienced recently when i took a windy turn that was really sharp, i had the Traction button still on and it said slipp and messed with my throttle response! So if i take turns i have to turn it off right?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drive by Wire?