G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Guaging Interest on doing Intake Testing: Need your help!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guaging Interest on doing Intake Testing: Need your help!!

Hey guys, being semi' new to this site, i noticed there is alot of talk about dyno sheets and insight from many members on what seems to work/not work on g35s, but I have not been able to find any hard evidence though like dynosheets showing solid gains over certain options.

This is why i wanted to do this Intake testing, to put rumors and "general guesstimations" to rest on what works best on a stock G35.

I want to test any intake you guys plan to throw at me, but i need members to let me borrow their intake to test on my vehicle. So this is where you guys come in to help! If you are interested or are in the Northern Virgina/ Spirngfield area and want to let me borrow your intake, that would be great! Otherwise you can ship me your intake to borrow, and i will ship it right back when finished.

I plan to present Dyno figures, all done on the most common dyno used in the import industry, a Dynojet,have all overlayed on each other showing the gains/losses of each through out the powerband, i will present you all the numbers in SAE, STD, and Uncorrected formats. I will take pictures of eveyrthing, including pics of the intakes to dissect them for what they are.

So what do you guys think? I need to get this all worked out though if possible in the next 2 weeks, as i begin school soon!

Last edited by BolivianFuego; 08-14-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not close, but I just have dropin K&N in stock air box... if you don't find one in your area, I would be interested in seeing if it helps at all... The car "felt" peppier after I spent $50 on the air filter, but that could just be me wishing for some results!

Old 08-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Yea! I'd be down for testing that, if you send it my way, i'd send it right back as soon as i am done.

Personally i wanna test a Stillen Intake, and also an option i thought up of, using a BPI velocity stack mated to this generic adapter for the MAF housing i found on ebay so i cna attach a coupler and attach that filter/velocity stack.

What other intake options am i looking at? JWT right? Anything else?

Old 08-14-2008, 09:12 PM
if you can get someone with a arc induction box id be interested in seeing the differences compared to other intakes seeing that the arc induction box is like 600 bucks at least.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:52 PM
The only thing about testing an intake is that the car is not moving. So you wont have any fresh air coming in. So thats going to skew the numbers a little bit

Old 08-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Well at dyno's to give it real life conditions they have huge fans blowing right into the radiator/intake area. So i dont see that as a problem.

Any others out there willing to let me borrow tehir intakes?

Old 08-15-2008, 10:22 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by BolivianFuego
Well at dyno's to give it real life conditions they have huge fans blowing right into the radiator/intake area. So i dont see that as a problem.

I wouldn't call that a "real-life" condition. I don't think any fans I have seen at a dyno can produce enough CFM's to simulate a car doing 100+mph (4th gear pull). I think it's mainly for cooling purposes.

Trending Topics

Old 08-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I will save you a lot of time and tell you...intakes don't do much except make the car sound good.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by silver g
I will save you a lot of time and tell you...intakes don't do much except make the car sound good.

i agree and disagree. i think intakes that arent taking in fresh air, i.e. a cone sitting in the engine bay dont do much. but if you can get fresh air coming in, there is a little bit of power...but just a little, lol. a system that improves on air flow, i.e. z-tube vs stock is a decent gain...I'd say probably 7 hp (as in the 7 more that the Z has). But a lot of the ones you see sitting in the engine bay of an accord are most likely helping with sound, lol.

it all depends on how resticting the factory was really.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by BolivianFuego

i'd actually like to know the answer for our cars but not bad enough to send out my intake...sorry.

if you'd like, you can send me $100 on paypal and ill hold that as a security deposit. then ill send you my jwt pop-charger since i havent installed it. when i receive the pop charger back, ill refund your $100.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

+13425345............to a certain degree. We've told BolivianFuego this in another post but he wants to do his testing. Open element filters or "Short Rams" injest hot air. This could cause the ECU to retard timing, therefore hindering performance. Although they sound better your performance is suffering.

I remember seeing a thread that a G37 guy wrote about his Fujita intakes vs. Stock intakes. After he dyno'd his Fujita's he promptly switched back to stock and posted the Fujita's on the Marketplace.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by twin001
+13425345............to a certain degree. We've told BolivianFuego this in another post but he wants to do his testing. Open element filters or "Short Rams" injest hot air. This could cause the ECU to retard timing, therefore hindering performance. Although they sound better your performance is suffering.

I remember seeing a thread that a G37 guy wrote about his Fujita intakes vs. Stock intakes. After he dyno'd his Fujita's he promptly switched back to stock and posted the Fujita's on the Marketplace.
Yeah I have talked with some tuners and they said the major problem with most intakes is that they use a larger intake pipe over the stock which screws with the MAF sensor. The only way to see a decent amount of gains is through a reflash...with that said I am not opposed to running one...but at the same time I really feel they do not do much for us. The gains if any are not enough to worry about. I love the way my stillen intake sounds...which is all I really care about.

I stopped messing with bolt-ons a long time ago, and started putting money away for FI.

Old 08-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah I have talked with some tuners and they said the major problem with most intakes is that they use a larger intake pipe over the stock which screws with the MAF sensor. The only way to see a decent amount of gains is through a reflash...with that said I am not opposed to running one...but at the same time I really feel they do not do much for us. The gains if any are not enough to worry about. I love the way my stillen intake sounds...which is all I really care about.

I stopped messing with bolt-ons a long time ago, and started putting money away for FI.

I agree. There's only so much you can do without changing your internals and REALLY tuning your car, N/A

BUT, that doesnt mean you cant make your car more fun.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:23 PM
How do you know? Have you done any dyno testing to prove this?