New Members Check In If you're new to G35Driver, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your G35!!

Need help Upgrading 2006 g35 6 speed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help Upgrading 2006 g35 6 speed

Ive recently bought my g35. I need help picking the right mods i want to make my g the best i can make it and recently was about to purchase a nismo intake for more hp but i read a forum saying intakes might not even help me get any gains and may decrease it. Can someone help me pick out good moods and a intake?

Old 09-09-2015, 04:56 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
He said good moods, JT. Normally, I like staying in my sarcastic mood throughout the day because it's easier to deal with Soldier's stupid **** that they do. Other good moods could be, and this is personal preference, those of hunger, rage, or even giddy when you get parts in the mail.
Joking aside, go in the coupe forum and read ALL the Stickys as they will give you the majority of info you are looking for.
If you're ballin on a budget, most members will start with a plenum spacer and suspension mods ie sways, springs or coils. If you have cash out the ***, then turbo that b***c ASAP!

Old 09-10-2015, 03:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throw some full synthetic in the vq! Short shifter, clutch, flywheel, headers, y pipe, z tube, spark plugs, fuel system, coils, wheels, exterior customizing lol.. When I don't know what to mod first, I just spend the time replacing old fluid or the little things that go out before 100k.
As for the intake, the stock air box is what your g is factory tuned for, once you get a tune, go for the nismo intake and you will most likely see small gains hehe

Old 09-10-2015, 02:14 PM
Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Congrats! I recently got an '06 6mt sedan too!

So far I've done:
-K&N drop in filter for $40 at my local parts store
-Coupe mid pipe for $40 on craigslist
-coupe rear and 350z front springs, paid $100 for both sets (8 springs)
-Mobil 1 5w30 and filter (something something-110)
-Nissan 5w85 tranny fluid
-Lucas oil 5w90 diff fluid
-OEM Luk dual mass flywheel and OEM Exedy clutch for $740 on amazon + 18ish hours on the garage floor (I went with OEM parts because I didn't want to deal with the alleged rattling caused by a single mass flywheel, and I've heard bad things about pairing aftermarket clutch kits with the OEM flywheel)

-Looking to find an OEM 350z intake runner 'z tube'. You can order them used online for $60ish but if you're lucky you can get them for $20-30 on craigslist or your local junk yard.
-Also thinking about wiring up a sub/amp I've got laying around to the stock Bose stereo.

I was surprised how many OEM upgrades there are for these cars, and their availability assuming you live in or around a biggish city. Browsing these forums is definitely an inspiration. Anyways, welcome, and feel free to shoot me a message if you've got any questions!

Old 09-10-2015, 04:53 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
To summarize what other members have posted, there are no gains from aftermarket intakes! The factory intake with a Z-Tube and a drop in filter like K&N or AMSOIL is your best choice! Results are cleaner/more air and better sound. Best mod for the '06 with MT is Motordynes 5/16" spacer and lower plenum! Best advice at this point is find a independent brake/alignment shop in your area and have your suspension checked out. Not the dealership! They can guarantee your frontend is fresh and tight so you're not running around with a sloppy suspension which isn't safe and will cause premature tire wear! Also read all the stickys at the top of the coupe page, that's where you'll find lots of good information!
Enjoy the ride...Gary

Old 09-11-2015, 10:16 AM
Received 193 Likes on 172 Posts
Everybody says intakes don't make horsepower but, their is evidence they do. However, the gains are very minimal and won't be noticed by the seat of the pants dyno. An intake is designed to reduce weight (although minimal), give the air entering the manifold a shorter distance to travel, allowing it to enter into the intake manifold sooner, also at a higher volume. The down side to an intake is heat soak. The aluminum tubing used to make most intake systems soaks up alot of engine heat and may transfer that heat to the air passing through it. Also, if your intake system didn't come with a heat shield, the cone filter maybe drawing in hot air as well. Most people think a cold air intake works better but, that same air has to travel through a piece of aluminium tubing that is soaking up heat from the engine as well.

How do we remedy this, simple. Instead of asking, what intake should I buy. Ask yourself how do I get my engine to run cooler because, a cooler engine makes more power, last longer, and, isn't **** to detonation. This can be done by installing a bigger and better radiator i.e. Moshimoto, or Koyo, an oil cooler, higher rated thermostat, better oil, their is a gold film you can wrap around your intake tubing because gold deflects heat therefore the air entering the intake should be cooler as it enters the manifold. There is also a system used on the Nissan truck that allows the engine to run cooler. Check Concept Z performance they sell that setup. You can also try coolant additives like Purple Ice, and Redline to name a few. A hood that allows heat to escape is another way to cool your engine while making your car look better.

In conclusion, an intake system isn't designed around horsepower. It's purpose is to give the air a shorter distance to travel allowing the air passing through it to enter into the combustion chambers sooner, giving more horsepower and torque but, the gains are minimal at best. Don't look at an intake for power. That's what turbos, superchargers, cams, and built motors do best. All an intake is going to do is allow the engine to breathe better, that's all. To those that think the factory system isn't soaking up some of the heat coming off the engine....Think again.

Last edited by Mr. Brooks; 09-11-2015 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:51 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Brooks
Everybody says intakes don't make horsepower but, their is evidence they do. However, the gains are very minimal and won't be noticed by the seat of the pants dyno. An intake is designed to reduce weight (although minimal), give the air entering the manifold a shorter distance to travel, allowing it to enter into the intake manifold sooner, also at a higher volume. The down side to an intake is heat soak. The aluminum tubing used to make most intake systems soaks up alot of engine heat and may transfer that heat to the air passing through it. Also, if your intake system didn't come with a heat shield, the cone filter maybe drawing in hot air as well. Most people think a cold air intake works better but, that same air has to travel through a piece of aluminium tubing that is soaking up heat from the engine as well.

How do we remedy this, simple. Instead of asking, what intake should I buy. Ask yourself how do I get my engine to run cooler because, a cooler engine makes more power, last longer, and, isn't **** to detonation. This can be done by installing a bigger and better radiator i.e. Moshimoto, or Koyo, an oil cooler, higher rated thermostat, better oil, their is a gold film you can wrap around your intake tubing because gold deflects heat therefore the air entering the intake should be cooler as it enters the manifold. There is also a system used on the Nissan truck that allows the engine to run cooler. Check Concept Z performance they sell that setup. You can also try coolant additives like Purple Ice, and Redline to name a few. A hood that allows heat to escape is another way to cool your engine while making your car look better.

In conclusion, an intake system isn't designed around horsepower. It's purpose is to give the air a shorter distance to travel allowing the air passing through it to enter into the combustion chambers sooner, giving more horsepower and torque but, the gains are minimal at best. Don't look at an intake for power. That's what turbos, superchargers, cams, and built motors do best. All an intake is going to do is allow the engine to breathe better, that's all. To those that think the factory system isn't soaking up some of the heat coming off the engine....Think again.
So much dumb in this comment.

Mr. Brooks (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 05:16 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by danoman32
Do they delete these threads as they come up? How many of these I need help choosing modification threads do we need? Seriously people. Freaking search.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:04 PM
Prove me wrong idiot. This dude is hilarious. He's using a plenum spacer which is known to make power (although not much on a naturally aspirated engine) so, his comment is idiotic at best. Lmbo.

Last edited by Mr. Brooks; 09-16-2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:33 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
everyone chill and research it themselves

https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...s-results.html

MooseLucifer (09-14-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 11:08 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Lies were created to sell intakes, they do not make WHP on our G35 VQ motors!

A few years ago that was my answer to questions that have been asked a gazillion times, SEARCH it's your friend! Remember? Then you need to realize those asking questions are new and don't know any better. So...now give them a few answers and let them know that Search is available and whatever they're asking has already been answered. Try not to be a dick, almost everyone was new sometime...except me!
Gary

yosip1115 (09-13-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 11:09 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Lol

Old 09-11-2015, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the info Jersey. It's a good read.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:32 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
SePa_8310, welcome to the forum! Great to have another G owner here. A lot of good info here regarding mods in case you are thinking of doing any. Check out some of the garages and you may get some ideas. Good luck and keep us posted!