Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
1 - Lighter.
2 - More rigid.

Both properties of sports cars.
LOL! it would need to be much lighter and unless your truly tracking the car, most performance demand is on the highways and byways so the rigidity plays very little in this type of driving... How does the G compare in performance to the Z??? Very, Very close; in fact, to close too give up the extras in the G!
I came into my 04 G from an 03 C5 Vette, so I know what you sacrifice to drive a sports car, a real sports car.
No thanks; I'll keep suggesting the G to people; it's a great balance; a nice machine... The Z, just not worth it unless it was 500lbs lighter and had 100-150HP more; but it don't!

Old 08-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Well from the box Z comes with better suspension/steering (because of the shorter wheelbase)/strut bar. If Both modded they become very close. Tight, lower speed tracks will favor the Z and high speed tracks will favor the G because of the longer wheelbase for more high speed stability. If i was to get a two door i would defenetly go with the Z.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:15 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by htownboy
LOL! it would need to be much lighter and unless your truly tracking the car, most performance demand is on the highways and byways so the rigidity plays very little in this type of driving... How does the G compare in performance to the Z??? Very, Very close; in fact, to close too give up the extras in the G!
I came into my 04 G from an 03 C5 Vette, so I know what you sacrifice to drive a sports car, a real sports car.
No thanks; I'll keep suggesting the G to people; it's a great balance; a nice machine... The Z, just not worth it unless it was 500lbs lighter and had 100-150HP more; but it don't!
Oh I understand. It all depends on your priorities. If you want a daily driver, with sportiness thrown in, then get the G. If you want a sports car that behaves reasonable well as a daily driver, then get the Z.

To me it's as simple as that. Of course, the OP didn't go into much detail.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:31 PM
The Z doesn't look as pretty, get a G.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by SteveBlake
If you like this car for the looks then your ok, but if you want to be fast, then maybe not. I mean dont get me wrong, these cars are quick, but to make them FAST you have to go FI and that means $$$$$.
He said that the 350Z was his first choice. The G and the Z stock for stock in speed are... let's just say that it would come down to the driver around a race track.

I don't think he had his heart set on Lingenfelter performance numbers.

That being said, the G is a nicer car all around. More comfortable, much prettier, IMO and much better interior build quality.

Plus, once you start throwing money at a 6MT or a Z, it becomes a moot point. They have basically the same potential. Besides all of that, the G attracts more girls and not the type who pop their bubble gum and like techno.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Well said Munky, you're right. This is going to be my daily driver and probably will never see a track, maybe once or twice.

Yeh, I'd rather not have all the disgusting clubby girls who dye their hair daily and wear pounds of makeup.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate your input.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm on the same boat as well... Everyone I know has a car so there is really no need for a 4 seater. Although it's nice to have some extra room just in case she wants to bring her friends. Interior and exterior are much nicer in the G.

The turning point for me is the oil consumption. You can pick up a 2007 350z with the HR motor instead of a 2006 G35 6mt that has a potential of having the oil consumption issue.

The Z is also a better performance car. Look at my350z and compare the track times compared to G35driver. The Z's are achieving much better times. This is negotiable because I would assume there are more Z performance enthusiasts than those of G35's. The two cars have identical platforms and engines. Weight is the factor here.

This is where the big decision comes in. Well at least for me. You will still have warranty remaining just in case.

That or just save up for a used G37.. I don't think I'll be that patient. You only live once. In a few years I'll be buying myself a nice m3..

Decision is all yours..

Good luck

Old 08-22-2008, 06:45 PM
I had a C5 Corvette that I traded on my G35c. I had always liked the coupe, and the Vette was at the end of its usefullness. I had never paid attention to the 350, but I find I notice it more now. That said, I like the coupe, I can use the backseat for my son, and I like the way my dealer treats me.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally Posted by Guida Veloce
I'm going to say sorry in advanced for all the serious forum guys but this one's a little different. I did use search and found out some good info but I need a little more.

I have had my heart set out on the 350Z until I went to check one out at the dealership tonight and also got to experience the G35. The interior is crap on the 350Z and there is no back seat and the 2 cars are pretty much the same price!

Ok so, I will likely be buying an 05-06 MT. From what I've read it seems there are some small but noticeable changes and mechanical problems. Is there anything I should be looking for/ aware of in these years? I've been told the market for 350Z's is crap and that you can lowball hardcore, is this the same for G35's? Finally, it seems the performance of both cars are about equal but what would you do with 1 grand to make your G35 faster?

Thanks for the help and hope its a little different from the norm.
I know the feeling all too well. I was dead set on buying a 350Z. I searched the internet for hours everyday trying to find the perfect deal. After driving a few, i was surprised at how cheap the interior was. I somehow came across an 03 G35 and fell in love with it and couldn't pass it up. I still love the sporty look of the Z's but the G's are definitely a lot more classy looking.

I'm sure you will be happy with either one. They are both nice cars.
Good luck.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:42 PM
I was on the same boat. I wanted a Z but I have a family so the G was more practical. Now I am happy with my G just because i can use the back seat and trunk for stuff. The big catch is the interior, the G has much nicer interior than the Z.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:31 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Jeremy clarkson says the Z is rubbish thats good enough for me! JK.

Seriously though my brother and I have a G35 and 350z, he wishes he got the G and I'm glad I got it over the Z. Both are nice in their own way, but all in all I prefer the G over the Z, the interior, the quality, the better dealer experience. My brother has had problem after problem with his Z my G is still running flawless.

In the end both are awesome cars, I just prefer the G.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by G-4ME
I know the feeling all too well. I was dead set on buying a 350Z. I searched the internet for hours everyday trying to find the perfect deal. After driving a few, i was surprised at how cheap the interior was. I somehow came across an 03 G35 and fell in love with it and couldn't pass it up. I still love the sporty look of the Z's but the G's are definitely a lot more classy looking.

I'm sure you will be happy with either one. They are both nice cars.
Good luck.

I agree. And the interior IS what you will see most of the time, right? To me, a better interior contributes to the experience of driving a car. Then there's the performance and the Z's not that much better. In fact, if its true that its only a few tenths faster in the QUARTER, then their acceleration would IDENTICAL to the average driver.

Plus, I personally saw a Z brakes wheels and do a 360 (a few times) in the middle of the highway. Dude would have died had he hit the wall. I can only assume that the G is a more stable car...even if it isnt, seeing that programmed my mind that it is, lol.

There's a certain CLASS about the G, even though some ppl take that aspect away when they go heavy on the body kits and stuff, lol.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:10 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
Sure, you can correct that via the aftermarket, but stock for stock, the 350z is a more serious sports car.
There's also more aftermarket performance parts available for the Z that the Gs won't ever see...

Old 08-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by dofu
There's also more aftermarket performance parts available for the Z that the Gs won't ever see...

Performance wise, which of those parts dont fit the G though?

Old 08-23-2008, 12:11 PM
The G has a much nicer looking a$$...I mean look at those sick tailights. That right there convince it for me to get the G, though the Z was my 1st choice until I saw the G in person. Maybe if I cared about performace, my choice woud've been different, but i'm more for practical and looks.

Last edited by noize; 08-23-2008 at 12:16 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: g35 vs. 350z