BAD manual transmission

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 07:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: BAD manual transmission

My only complaints about the transmission are:

1) the vibration in the shifter when accelerating hard to redline
2) the clutch travel is too long and the takeup is too far up.

It think it shifts well and has a good feel, but the vibration is out of control, and definitely a short sight by the engineers. Some simple vibration isolation built into the shifter would have taken care of 90% of the vibration.

Those of you who say this vibration is normal for a RWD car with direct linkage are wrong. I've owned 4 other RWD manual transmission cars with direct linkage, just like the G35. NONE of them had even a quarter of the amount of vibration in the shifter as this car does. Most of them had hardly any vibration at all, even under full throttle.

This includes: a 1970 Corvette with a 400hp big block, a 1983 & 1985 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe with the T-5 tranny, and my 2002 Z06.

So even a 34 year old American car with an engine more than twice the size of the G35 still had far less vibration in the stick than the G35.

So I'm telling you, its an engineering flaw - it shouldn't vibrate this much.

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black

Old 05-11-2004, 07:46 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

And your experience is simply based on old American cars, and American car manufacturers couldn't build a real car if their lives depended on it

<hr></blockquote>

Of course not! Every American car ever built is the biggest POS that ever was! Everyone knows THAT! Duh! [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Your import loving biasedness is laughable... Get a clue man.

I said it in my previous post and I'll say it again....the shift **** is SUPPOSED to vibrate. That is how you "feel" where the engine is and how know when to shift. The vibrating shift **** allows you to keep your eyes on the road and off of the tach (not completely off, obviously, but enough so that you're not staring at it 24/7). <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

You CAN'T be serious with that comment. Please tell me you're joking. I haven't heard something that idiotic in a long time.

Would it make you feel better if I told you that I've driven manual transmission Toyotas and Hondas, and none of them vibrated as much as the G35 either?

So the G35 is the only car that is correct, because its the only car that has a shifter that vibrates so much that it numbs your hand?

Why do you have to defend the G35 so much? Why can't you admit it has faults, like every car does? I mean the car is great and all, but its not perfect. It has flaws, and the vibrating shifter is one of them.

Old 05-11-2004, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel vibration through the shifter (2003 6MT Coupe) at all speeds, but nothing as bad as you describe. Before giving up on the car, have you talked to the dealer? Talked to another dealer (if the first didn't give you a satisfactory answer)? Talked to Infiniti (if the dealers don't help)?

The extreme vibration you describe IS NOT normal. Don't let a service manager tell you it is. Make 'em fix it. Infiniti is pretty good at trying to keep their customers happy...

Old 05-11-2004, 08:50 PM

My RX-8's shifter vibrated as much or more than the G, but not as much as my dads C5. The Mazda's transmission is a lot smoother but I havent missed a shift yet. I actually like the vibrations from the engine compared to the rotary, and you cant beat the sound from the 3.5.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:40 PM

Dude, the G35C is not the only car that vibrates. Stop basing your experience off of random manual cars. Go drive a REAL driver's car such as BMW or a Porsche, then come talk to me.

<hr></blockquote>

I've driven both a BMW 328i, and a Porsche 928, both manuals. Neither one vibrated much at all, and no where near like the G35 does. DUDE.

Can I talk to you now? Mr. highhorse. You know you're pretty obnoxious and arrogant for someone who doesn't know much. You can check your ego at the door, cause that $hit don't fly with me.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:33 AM

Where did these two cars come from? Why didn't you list them before?

<hr></blockquote>

The BMW was my friend's and the Porsche 928 was my uncle's. I didn't list them before because I listed cars that I owned for a long time. Thought that would be more relevant. But since they weren't imports, I guess they were irrelevant in your twisted mind.

But I have driven more cars than you could possibly imagine and quite a few of them had vibrations.

<hr></blockquote>

Let me guess, you were a valet?

Vibrations is fine. That's not my point. Just about every manual transmission RWD car has at least some vibration in the shifter. My point is the degree of shifter vibration in the G35 is excessive, and way more than any other car I've ever driven of the same configuration. Including cars of considerable more power and engine size, and cars of much older age, and cars of much less luxury and refinement.

The G probably has the most violent vibrations I've ever experienced, but I hardly call that an engineering flaw.

<hr></blockquote>

Why wouldn't you call it an engineering flaw? Other cars of more power and lesser refinement/luxury don't vibrate as much with the same powertrain configuration. Most people don't deem extreme vibration as a desireable quality in a car, and in fact are annoyed by it. And finally, its not difficult to isolate the transmission and shifter from the engine vibrations. So, the only reason for it is, its a flaw! Hey, it happens - I don't know why you get so defensive about any flaw in the G35.

BTW, I know several car magazine testers noticed the same vibration in the shifter and either noted or complained about it.

For all we know, it could be because the engine is working so hard (The G35C has like a 10:1 compression ratio

<hr></blockquote>

Compression ratio isn't it either. My '70 Corvette had a higher 10.5 : 1 compression ratio, as does my Z06, and both have substantially less vibration in the shifters.

Old 05-12-2004, 02:50 AM

I'd would seriously like to thank everybody that responded to my question. On one side, it makes me feel better that I'm not the only one thinking that our tranny is not the smoothest or most refined, however, on the other side, I still like the car but I'm yet to find a way to cope with this problem. I'm also "afraid" that if I try other sports cars with manual, I would probably feel even worse about mine.

I haven't even told you, that when I had 1,800 miles on it, I took it in for a check, as at idling, I was hearing some noise that would go away if I depressed the clutch (in a much smaller scale but the same grinding-type noise you hear when your tranny is about to go bad in a 150k miles car). The technician agreed that it's abnormal and I left it in, just to return the next day and be told that it's ... normal in this type of car (they did tell me that they usually hear it in cars that have close to 10k miles, which even then is bad). A collegue of mine has a 3000 GT Mitsubishi with around 80k miles and his tranny is the definition of smoothnest in comparison to mine. Another collegue has a brand new Honda S2000 and his tranny shifts awesomely (Ok, I'm not going back that road again !).

Somebody did reply that I should have driven more cars (like a BMW) before buying a $40k car, and let me tell you that you are totally right !

Well, I guess, such is life and overall I should be happy for what I have !

Once again, you guys are great !

Old 05-12-2004, 03:35 AM
Never enough

I really like the tranny and the feel of it in our G's. But my throw out bearing is going out and the car has 10k on it. Just so you know. I owned a BMW 330Ci before this car and the clutch went out at 11k. I think in a sports car its just more likely for something like this to go wrong.

Old 05-12-2004, 10:41 AM

This is my 5th manual tranny car. The tranny as well as the engine will loosen up with mileage. I have over 30K miles on my Coupe, so I know from experience. I also owned a manual 325ci for two years and I can say despite being a bit notchy, the G35C's tranny is much more sport oriented. If you haven't chirped your tires going into 3rd gear, then you're not driving the car like it is meant to be driven. Remember, It's built to handle in excess 280 hp and 270 lb/ft of torque. The shifter in the BMW was butter smooth, but its throws were miles compared the the G35C. I had to teach myself to drive a car with such short throws. Now that I've mastered it, the car is more fun to drive than the BMW. The clutch bites hard at any speed, not so it the BMW. The BMW had a unpleasent clutch take-up that dropped rpms before engaging...not cool. By the way, the metallic clattering sound you're hearing at idle when the clutch is disengaged is the flywheel. The sound disappears when you depress the clutch pedal, right? High performance flywheels will clatter because they're very light. Some aftermarket flywheels like NISMO and JWT are even lighter and noisier, but bite like nobody's business. I don't have a problem with the vibrating shifter. Put some more miles on your car and stop babying it and things will loosen up for ya.

'03 G35C, 6MT, Black, Pop Charger, 18x8.5/9.5 BBS RGR, 245/275 40 Toyo T1-S, Tein S-Tech

Old 05-12-2004, 01:30 PM

I took it in for a check, as at idling, I was hearing some noise that would go away if I depressed the clutch (in a much smaller scale but the same grinding-type noise you hear when your tranny is about to go bad in a 150k miles car).

<hr></blockquote>

The technician is correct - that noise is normal. That's the throw out bearing that is rattling in its housing because there's no pressure on it while in neutral with the clutch out. When you push the clutch in, there is pressure on the throw out bearing, and the noise stops. Most RWD manual tranny cars make that noise in neutral. Some have been able to engineer that noise out or muffle it, but most haven't. My Z06 makes the same sound in neutral with the clutch out too - its the same thing throw out bearing. If I turn the car off while in neutral with the clutch out, it rattles really loud and sounds terrible. But its perfectly normal. They even mentioned the noise in the video that came with my Z06 as being normal.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:39 PM

Sure, the G vibrates pretty aggressively, but you guys just need to suck it up.

<hr></blockquote>

WHAT?!? I spent $37k for this car - why should I need to "suck it up" when there are cars at half the price with less vibration in the shifter? Does the vibrating shifter bother me alot to the point I want to get rid of the car? No. But if it did bother me that much, I wouldn't suck it up, I would dump the car and get something else that didn't vibrate so much. Simple solution to a simple problem.

I like it because I can hold the shift **** and know when to shift and I GUARANTEE that the G35C is FAR from the only car with this vibrating shift ****.

<hr></blockquote>

I find it funny that you actually look at the vibrating shifter as a feature of the car. Well hey, I guess you LIKE and prefer vibrating shifters. If that's your preference, I can't argue with that - different people like different things. But I will say that you are definitely in the vast minority of people who prefer shifters that vibrate a lot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BAD manual transmission