G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Stuck Oil Dip Stick

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2004, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck Oil Dip Stick

Well this is embarrassing. I picked up my brand new coupe 2 weeks ago and tonight decided to check the oil. First off, the placement of where the dip stick enters the engine is just about the most awkward thing I've ever seen, and you're pretty much guaranteed to receive 3'rd degree burns over most of your hands trying to get the stick back in the little, tiny hole located just about but not quite under the air intake. But more to the point: I can't get the #@($*#@ dipstick OUT! It's like it's stuck in there. I finally managed to get out 12 inches of the dip stick out, but that was it. Then spent a really wonderful 30 minutes trying to get what I got out back in (ok.. NO sexual connotations here guys, ok??)
I guess I'm going to have to take it back to the dealer and let them take a look at it. Going to feel pretty foolish going in there and saying, "Umm... can someone here show me how to get the oil dipstick out?" Good grief. Anyone else experience this issue?

Old 05-14-2004, 01:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Stuck Oil Dip Stick

It's quite simple really.

1) Open the hood.
2) Sacrifice your firstborn child.
3) Remove the dipstick using the winch off an old Jeep.
4) Buy a new one, 'cuz that thing ain't going back in.

Simple, see? [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Rest assured, you're not alone in your frustration. However, as much trouble as I've had with mine, I haven't quite managed to get it stuck.

Old 05-14-2004, 02:45 AM

That's hilarious!! Same thing happened to me, only worse. The first time I decided to check my oil was when I was filling up my gas tank. I pulled the dip stick out, but couldn't get it back in! There were two cars waiting for me to pull out so they can fill up. After 5 minutes, I started panicking and just jammed the thing back in. I hope it's ok. How embarassing.

Old 05-14-2004, 11:40 AM

I'd say pull really, really hard. Thats what I had to wnid up doing. I cannot believe how awkward the placement is...makes me not want to ever check it.

2004 Twilight Blue Coupe
6MT
Premium Package
Aero Package

Old 05-14-2004, 01:52 PM

Thats so funny and here I thought I was the only G with this stupid little problem. Now I feel a bit relieved.

03 6mt black/black
Ztube JWT PopCharger

Old 05-14-2004, 10:19 PM

LOL!
Thanks for the response guys. I thought I was losing my mind or something. I even (gawd.. how embarrassing) went back and re-read the manual cuz I thought I was doing it wrong.
Now whenever I hear the phrase that the "G35 is tight"- I know they're talking about the @(*$@# dipstick!

Old 05-20-2004, 07:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless my coupe is different than yours, I found it really easy to remove and re-insert. Awkard yes, but difficult no. Which direction are you pulling the dipstick? You have to fight the urge to pull it straight out. You need to pull it towards the right. The plug will then pop out, then you rotate it and pull it straight out.

To reinsert, do the opposite. Rotate, get end in the tube, rotate again, push towards left.

I don't know what Infiniti/Nissan was thinking with this awkward placement. Even my old van was more intuitive. It had a long **** tube the pointed right to the front. The tube had smooth bends everywhere in it, and the dipstick was like 4 ft long

Old 05-22-2004, 01:22 AM

good opportunity for an after market dip stick.

does the Z and the other VQs have the same problem?

Dave

03 G35 Coupe, Black/Graphite, 5AT

Old 05-22-2004, 07:47 PM

Actually because of my unfortunate situation I am very good at removing the dipstick. Here's the technique. The dipstick has an ability to be rotated while within the engine either forward or back towards the air intake. Rotate the dipstick back so that the yellow handle hits the air intake, don't pull on the handle but put your thumb down at the bend of the dipstick and pull out at a 45 degree angle sideways. I don't know why that yellow handle is on there because you can't naturally pull that thing out if you were to used it. And a reminder to always wait awhile after the engine has stopped runing to let the oil settle to get a good reading.

Old 05-22-2004, 11:09 PM

I can't get a good reading no matter what I do. Not only is the dipstick entry/exit designed poorly, but you can't read the darn thing. I took some heavy grit sandpaper and roughed up the cross-hatched section a bit to get a better look at the oil level--really nice, clear oil (like it's supposed to be) just doesn't register on that dipstick. Last bit of silliness--that "don't remove the dipstick if you're pouring oil" sticker on the engine compartment . . . as we say in the Air Force, WTFO? What the f----, over?
Now, having whined, I love my G, and with my new stereo system, it's the best car I've ever owned--hands down.