G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Premium gas

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 07:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks to those who said they used 87 and it pinged..that was the info I was looking for..vice all they people who still told me not to buy the car if I could not afford the gas which was not the point of my post!

Old 10-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by johniZzlee
thats a HYANDAI -_- gosh if ur so picky about the gas price, give up ur G go and live in china or something where car is not an essential transportation in everyday life
Again-read my post-I am not questioning the extra price of gas...

Old 10-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GJ Hazlett
I understand all the posts about don't buy the car if I can't afford the gas; that was not my question; I know in other cars the computer pulls timing if it detects high IAT's, knocking, etc and wondered if the G was the same way.
The Hyandai Genisis advertises 375 hp with 93 and 369 on 87 so the technology is out there for the engines to run on either..
They also forget to mention the huge MPG hit you take when you put in 87.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the info!

Old 10-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
They also forget to mention the huge MPG hit you take when you put in 87.

It's ven worse on my Max, aside from the horrific pinging, I also lose abour3-4mpg, YIKES!

Old 10-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just rolled my 2005 6MT outta the dealer last week. It pinged on the way home. They cheaped out and put 87 in it.

I was pissed. So, I put in 94 to offset it. It got moderately better. When it got low, I filled it with 94 again, so I am still somewhere below 94 octane, but above 91 for sure. Low RPM cruising power is noticeably different. I shift earlier and she runs nicer with not a ping to be found, even pulling at low RPM.

It's a different car. And I am the king of all skeptics when it comes to using premium. I am dying to put 94 in it again.

I thought, as many others did, that premium is merely recommended, and that I would give away 5-7 ponies and use regular grade. I'm telling you, I never even got that option, because the dealer did it, and I didn't find out about it until I called them about it after the pinging. They said, "It's only recommended, not needed...blah blah blah..."

If you look deeper into the advice about it being ok to run 87, and that the engine comp will adjust, there is always a disclaimer about how you should switch back to premium if you experience pinging, etc.

Some cars can run on 87 if premium is recommended. My Audi was one. My girlfriends BMW is another. The G35 isn't.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The G35 can be drived on regular if driven conservatively and not pushed to it's limits. Only under hard accerelation will the timing automatically be retarded (to avoid engine damage) and a loss of power will be noticeable. The G37 does not have this option and will run like crap if regular is used. It's up to the G35 owner if optimal performance is desired.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:21 PM
there's 94 octane? where? def. not in cali!!!

as for the pinging for using lower grade as recommended..the dealer said 89 is ok..but def. not 87 at all means...

i have a civic w. JDM b16 as well, use the lower grade and it performs differently without the 91. as hard as i push it, i rather use the right fuel to get the most optimum performance..

that goes for my pops 3series when my bro put 89 instead of 91...there was a difference too...

as for people saying "can't afford the gas" u shouldnt drive the car" its true. LOL...its FUNNY when people with luxury cars pull up to a AM.PM, its like..are u serious? ur gonna put that watergas in ur car? and u spent how much?

THERES def. a difference between octanes and performance..lower burns faster n can hurt engine/performance.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by hyperlite21
kinda funny, but in my town in anaheim i was watching a gas tanker fill up the station, he filled up all the tanks with the same hose connected to the same part of the truck...lol is there really a difference in the gas or a government con haha can i do a test on the gas somehow?
They could have more than one 87 tank in the ground.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
91 only avail here. Pinging like a **** recently (why doesn't my knock sensor prevent that ). Trying different station and I'll see.

Hope there were more than one 87oct tank at that station in Anaheim. Otherwise....wtf is up with that Love to test somehow the 91 at my usual station to see for sure...

Manual and GAS door tells all. Mine says prem only. 06 6mt coupe here with the 298hp VQ. 280hp VQ's say prem recommended. 306hp and 330hp VQ's I'll bet anyone a cookie...prem only

Old 10-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by LaConic
there's 94 octane? where? def. not in cali!!!

as for the pinging for using lower grade as recommended..the dealer said 89 is ok..but def. not 87 at all means...

i have a civic w. JDM b16 as well, use the lower grade and it performs differently without the 91. as hard as i push it, i rather use the right fuel to get the most optimum performance..

that goes for my pops 3series when my bro put 89 instead of 91...there was a difference too...

as for people saying "can't afford the gas" u shouldnt drive the car" its true. LOL...its FUNNY when people with luxury cars pull up to a AM.PM, its like..are u serious? ur gonna put that watergas in ur car? and u spent how much?

THERES def. a difference between octanes and performance..lower burns faster n can hurt engine/performance.
Well, Sunoco (NASCAR sponsor) has just about completely phased out the Ultra 94 and is going exclusively with 93.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
91 only avail here. Pinging like a **** recently (why doesn't my knock sensor prevent that ). Trying different station and I'll see.

Hope there were more than one 87oct tank at that station in Anaheim. Otherwise....wtf is up with that Love to test somehow the 91 at my usual station to see for sure...

Manual and GAS door tells all. Mine says prem only. 06 6mt coupe here with the 298hp VQ. 280hp VQ's say prem recommended. 306hp and 330hp VQ's I'll bet anyone a cookie...prem only
The DE's all recommend premium, 87 minimum. The HR is recommended premium, 87 minimum. The VHR is 91+ only.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
The DE's all recommend premium, 87 minimum. The HR is recommended premium, 87 minimum. The VHR is 91+ only.
Not according to my 2006 coupe gas door for my revup VQ35DE...premium only...

Old 10-28-2008, 10:37 PM
either way **** gas = **** perf= **** engine life. I do apperciate all these cheap gas stations giving me **** gas for the price of good gas if they are going to cheat us atleast gimme a discount eh

Old 10-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Not according to my 2006 coupe gas door for my revup VQ35DE...premium only...
Correction.

Premium UNLEADED fuel only.

Leaded fuel will destroy your Catalytic converter.

Check a civic or something, they'll all say unleaded fuel only.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Premium gas