G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Best Oil for the G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
^schweet! I bought some for my last oil change at my local autozone. Im going to try and buy a case sometime this week. How many qts in a case and how much was it?

Old 10-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by viceversa
^schweet! I bought some for my last oil change at my local autozone. Im going to try and buy a case sometime this week. How many qts in a case and how much was it?
I've never seen them in whole cases at my local place, although I'm sure I could get them that way if I asked(assuming they had them in stock). I think the last time I bought them they were like $6.25 a quart, but I bought them all on sale during a week where they had a special where you could buy 5 quarts of the stuff plus a Mobil-1 oil filter for like $27 bucks. I went every day for like a whole bunch of days in a row and bought 5 quarts of oil plus the filter, and plus used my auto-zone rewards card. In the end, I ended up saving a crapload of money between the sale, free oil filters, and the auto-zone rewards. They offer the same specials every once in a while(like every 3 or 4 months), so keep your eyes peeled. I made a post about it last time they did, but I haven't gone back to check if they've since offered that special again. If they do, I'll be sure to post about it since I'm sure others will want in on the good deal.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:22 PM
I just got back from lunch and stopping by the Auto Zone in my town. They still sell the German Castrol 0W30 there, but the price has gone up pretty significantly. It's now $6.99 a quart for single quart purchases. Yikes!.... I'm glad I bought as much of it as I did, when I did(at the price I did).

They do, however have a special in effect from now until Novembre 19'th where you can get 5 quarts of Castrol Syntec(Any Castrol Syntec, including German Castrol) plus a K&N oil filter for $29.99. If you don't mind using K&N oil filters, that's a pretty good deal... but I do mind(nothing but Purolator Pure-One oil filters or the Mobil One filters), so I wouldn't go for that deal personally.

Last edited by partyman66; 10-28-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Ouch! $6.99? yeah price has gone up since i last bought some too. I will post up what the prices are in my area when i ask about buying a case haha.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by viceversa
Ouch! $6.99? yeah price has gone up since i last bought some too. I will post up what the prices are in my area when i ask about buying a case haha.
You're from Maryland.... so I would think that if I can get the oil here in Massachusetts Auto Zones, you should be able to do the same... since we're both in North Eastern states that likely share similar product distribution lines.

If you go on the Auto Zone website, you can find locations of other Auto Zones near your house. If you're adamant about getting some of this oil, just take a swing by some of those other local Auto Zones and see if they have any, then buy a bunch of it if they do. Normally I would just recommend calling them and asking, but I've already done this myself in the past(there was about a 3 month stretch where we had no German Castrol anywhere around here about a year ago)... and believe me when I say that there is only about a 2% chance of the Auto Zone employee on the other end of the phone line being able to properly identify the actual German Castrol over the phone based on a description you give to them of it.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:15 PM
I know for sure I can get it here, I just bought some a couple months ago and I am currently running the oil in my G right now heh. It would be nice to just stock up on it but of course, at a cheaper price.

and believe me when I say that there is only about a 2% chance of the Auto Zone employee on the other end of the phone line being able to properly identify the actual German Castrol over the phone based on a description you give to them of it.
Haha and i thought it was just my area where the employees at autozone were all retarded. (no offense towards actual mentally retarded people who work at autozone... )

And now, i would like to apologize for totally jacking this thread with an ongoing back and forth conversation between 2 people.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Double post in a row w00t w00t!

well I went to one of the autozones in my area and sure enough they had loads of the castrol syntec 0W-30 in stock. It was also $6.99 but they are having a special deal until November 19. The deal lets you get 5qts of any castrol syntec oil and a k&n oil filter for $29.99. I think the k&n oil filter alone is like $15 so its a pretty good deal. I was planning on going with an Amsoil filter on my next change but i haven't heard bad things about the k&n so I will give it a try considering the deal. Also, they sell by the case which is 6qts for $38 if i can remember correctly.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW I recently went with Valvoline dino 10w30 with a wix filter vs. RP.
My oil consumption stopped (about 1/4 between changes) and the valvetrain is alot quieter on start up.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo nasty
FWIW I recently went with Valvoline dino 10w30 with a wix filter vs. RP.
My oil consumption stopped (about 1/4 between changes) and the valvetrain is alot quieter on start up.

Interesting.

I recently switched from Mobil 1 syn 5w30 to Valvoline syn 5w30 and also noticed that the amount of oil used by 2500 was dramatically reduced--from about 1 qt of mobil 1 to almost no Valvoline!!!!!!

Before moving to Mobil 1, I never burned any dino oil.

Something's different between the two, but I am happier to not be burning oil and saving about 6-7$ per 5 quarts for the Valvoline.

Old 10-30-2008, 02:29 PM
^i noticed that too since i switched to valvoline synpower...

Old 10-31-2008, 12:53 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by JZ39
Interesting.

I recently switched from Mobil 1 syn 5w30 to Valvoline syn 5w30 and also noticed that the amount of oil used by 2500 was dramatically reduced--from about 1 qt of mobil 1 to almost no Valvoline!!!!!!

Before moving to Mobil 1, I never burned any dino oil.

Something's different between the two, but I am happier to not be burning oil and saving about 6-7$ per 5 quarts for the Valvoline.

so its proven by yous guys up there ^^ that valvolien is better and cheaper ? il ltry it next time

Old 10-31-2008, 02:07 PM
Canada, eh?

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
If you're going to shell out $7 a quart, just get Amsoil. It's what I use.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mobil1 also has "european" 0w30 that I think I will try once my new v2 hits 3k miles. I did my first change on the new motor at 100 miles to 10w30 castrol dino and my second at 1300 miles with 5w30 castrol dino.

I always use the M45 filter no matter what the brand. same fitment, 30% larger capacity at the same price. That's a no brainer.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:22 PM
i use mobil1 ep. 15k oil. im at around 7500 miles. i use the k&n filter. i was wondering if it's ok to go all the way TO 15K? or should i change it. Also i've been monitoring the oil levels and it's around by the bottom of the hashmark.. What is the proper level be at?
PLEASE HELP

Old 11-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally Posted by echang0501
i use mobil1 ep. 15k oil. im at around 7500 miles. i use the k&n filter. i was wondering if it's ok to go all the way TO 15K? or should i change it. Also i've been monitoring the oil levels and it's around by the bottom of the hashmark.. What is the proper level be at?
PLEASE HELP
You always want to have your oil at or just below the full mark on the dipstick. Make sure you're using proper technique when checking your oil though to ensure accurate measurements. That would be as follows:

-Start your car up and warm it up to operating temperature.
-Turn car off and allow it to sit for about 5 minutes so that the oil in the upper parts of the motor can drip back down into the sump.
-Pull your dipstick and whipe it clean with a clean rag, and then put it back in
-Pull the dipstick out again and look at the level on the dipstick. If it's up to where it should be, you should be just below the 'F' (Full) mark on the dipstick. If not, add a little oil and repeat the check procedure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Oil for the G