G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Best Oil for the G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 01:13 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
G35 Coupe
Question Best Oil for the G

Ive been using Synthetic 5w-30 by Mobile 1, but i ran across an ad in some car mag, saying Valvoline is much better for engine performance comparing itself to Mobile 1 . is this true, and if those arent good , what is the best oil brand ?

Old 10-26-2008, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.bobistheoilguy.com - Go, Learn, Read. The information is there.

No oil is all-in-all best for any certain vehicle. Manufacturer claims are just that...Claims. Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Valvoline, Castrol, Pennzoil are ALL good oils to use in any vehicle. Mobil 1 is sometimes considered an industry standard to which some other oils are compared but there are other oils just as good out there. My personal opinion is that you personally need to make the educated choice. You paid for the car, it's your choice to use what you want.

-Froth

Old 10-26-2008, 04:29 PM
When I first bought my G I spent hours after hours researching which oil was the best. As long as you use a good full synthetic, a good filter, and change it on recommended intervals, you'll be fine. Some of the better synthetics are:

Amsoil
Castrol Syntec
Mobil 1
Royal Purple

There are many others and they should all work great. I personally use Castrol Syntec 5w-30 and my engine loves it. In the end, there really is no "Best" oil. Oil analysis results change from engine to engine, make to make. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion and some may disagree.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Some forget that the oil is important but equally as important is the filter, so remember that as well!

Good filter brands are:
---------------
Pureolator Pure-One
WIX
Napa GOLD
Mobil 1
Amsoil

Do the research and know for yourself why these things are good! You will thank yourself for the knowledge you will gain.

-Froth

Old 10-26-2008, 05:26 PM
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by Froth
Some forget that the oil is important but equally as important is the filter, so remember that as well!

Good filter brands are:
---------------
Pureolator Pure-One
WIX
Napa GOLD
Mobil 1
Amsoil

Do the research and know for yourself why these things are good! You will thank yourself for the knowledge you will gain.

-Froth

i see u didnt mention K&N ic, so it doesnt matter what oil , bc really is the same Sh*t. I guess ill just stick to Mobile, its been going good so far, at 3 somting a quart

Old 10-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Good filters are not limited to what I've listed, K&N Make good oil filters. Do some research and find out what you feel the most comfortable with.

-Froth

Old 10-26-2008, 07:48 PM
So how often do you change your filter? Do you just change it along with your oil at the same time?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Oil and Filter are GENERALLY changed at the same time, Very high quality filters like I listed above can often be re-used to upwards of 10-15k miles depending on conditions.

These are all questions that are not easily answered. What kind of oil do you run? What conditions? Clean Air Filter? What temperature is it outside? To properly gauge the correct change interval there are many different variables. You could rely on the old fallback of 'every 3000mi' but I believe that to be completely and utterly bogus. In past vehicles(My Honda) I've gone as much as 10,000mi between changes using Royal Purple 5w30 under the right driving conditions. The only way to TRULY tell when to change your oil and how well your engine is wearing during the use of the oil is to send a sample off to an oil analysis company such a Blackstone Labs. (http://www.blackstone-labs.com/) They are an industry standard and will do a complete test with print-out of your oil and can even tell if your air filter isn't doing its job or if a certain part of the engine is wearing more than another all because of what is in your oil.

My personal professional opinion is that 3000mi is a joke, with today's engines and oil technology I would have to say in a Daily Driven car 5000mi change intervals would be more of a norm even with regular run of the mill dino oil. Like I said, I used to go 10k between Oil/Filter changes in my Honda and all of my oil reports were very neutral. You need to first understand WHY an oil goes bad and what properties of the oil are good/bad. I cannot count the number of times I've heard people say "That oil is REALLY black, that's bad!" Incorrect in most cases. Oil turns black because it's WORKING removing the carbon and buildup in the engine. If you drain your oil and it looks relatively close to what came out of the bottle you're wasting your money throwing perfectly good oil away.

Do the Research, Find out what works, Get interested in it...you WILL appreciate the knowledge you come out of the experience with and you will feel A LOT more comfortable with the oil in your car.

ALL of this comes with a warning that you SHOULD NOT do anything concerning oil/filters unless you are absolutely sure of what you are doing. I am an ASE Cert. Mechanic and have been working on cars for a long time as a living. I can only offer so much as sometimes you must go out and learn things for yourself.

-Froth

Old 10-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Valvoline
Mobil 1
Amsoil
Royal Purple
Castrol
Pennzoil

Are all good oils to use, Mobil 1 5w-30 Full Synthetic works for me

Old 10-26-2008, 09:18 PM
G35 Coupe
Originally Posted by Solekeeper
So how often do you change your filter? Do you just change it along with your oil at the same time?
yes , every 4500 miles i change , to synthetic, but this time i got a K&N instead of Nissan OEM, i feel that the K&N doesnt feel as good ,so next time OEM im going

Old 10-26-2008, 09:20 PM
I use Eneos 0-w50 in my g35....

Old 10-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by on3_Lo35
I use Eneos 0-w50 in my g35....
WTF? SRLY?

Royal Purple is the best oil to use hands down. It is loved by all of the autox people. I use mobile 1 synthetic when I am being cheap.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
German Castrol 0W30. It's a fantastic oil with proven results from many people to reduce valvetrain wear on our engines in comparison to Mobil-1 and a few other oils.

I personally am against Royal Purple because I know a few guys who have had issues with it when used in autocross and street-legal vehicle circle track racing. One of them actually had a motor start making noises and eventually fail not too long after switching to Royal Purple from Mobil-1. Can't say for sure if that's the cause(obviously), but a lot of people that I know have had issues with that oil burning off rather quickly in cars that otherwise don't burn much or any oil at all.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:18 AM
NTC
Mobil 1 0w30

I recently put Mobil 1 0w30 in my 2003 G30 6MT. It is supposed to be a more efficient oil for vehicles using 5w30. Anyone with experience with this oil?

Old 10-27-2008, 02:59 AM
I love the Purolator PURE ONE filters, I've dissected a few filters and these seem to be the best, the oem filters are garbage, just like fram's, just paper on the inside.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Oil for the G