G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Winter driving the G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter driving the G35 Coupe

I am strongly considering buying a G35 coupe. There is one thing that is bothering me though. I live in eastern Canada where we can get a fair bit of snow. Most of my driving is in the city, so a car will need to make it through at least a few inches of snow. Has anyone had any experience with this? Am I making a mistake looking at the G35 coupe.

Old 05-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Re: Winter driving the G35 Coupe

using the G35 in the winter is very difficult. I live up in the northeast area (massachusetts) and trust me, driving a G35 in the winter is impossible, especially with the kind of snow we get.

I strongly recommend you get a winter car like a truck. I have a Ford Explorer that I was planning on trading in but decided to keep. That was a great decision on my part cause now I can put the G35 away for the winter.

It doesn't cost much to do a partial insurance on the cars either. I take off a majority of the insurance of the cars when they aren't in use for a certain season.

Old 05-27-2004, 05:45 PM

are you saying that it's not too bad to drive in the winter

Old 05-27-2004, 06:30 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I also live in Eastern Canada and my only ride is my Coupe. With a set of snows on for the winter, the ride is just fine.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 05-27-2004, 08:07 PM
G-Squad DJ =)

i live in Brooklyn, NY i currently own a 01 Nissan Altima - probably have my G within the month (lets hope) - i was swayed by the amount of snow we've been getting too here in NYC lately - BUT, then i realized - the altima blows in the snow anyway lol how much worse can it be? and then if its really bad - i have more of an excuse to take off of school/work due to the snow lol - but in all seriousness - a few people i know that are owners say the same thing just get a nice set of snow tires and you will be fine

Old 05-27-2004, 09:43 PM

You will have a variety of answers, depending on where people live, some will only see a thin dusting of snow while other will have to drive through blizzards.

I live in Montreal, and we probably make the top 10 places for bad snow storms. I had to call roadside twice to get my car towed out of driveways or roads because the car had no traction. Don't be fooled by all the technology on the car, limited slip, traction control, vehicle dynamic control, I consider all of those things to be a gas cutoff, so when the tires start to slip, it reduces power to the engine, so you end up pressing the gas peddle and go nowhere.

Don't let me scare you off just yet though. I do think this car is capable of pulling through the winter. The key to doing it is one simple rule. Do not do like I did, use 18" winter tires, bad decision. Not much tread to work with. So my plan is to buy some OEM 17" mags, some new winters, and then stud the tires. The studs is what will help you dig into the thick snow and ice. Keep the 18's for summer only.

I had a post on here this past winter, and I got all kinds of advice, the main one being to drive slowly, but this car wouldn't let me move, some people were on the horn behind me because they thought I just decided to stop in the middle of an intersection when in fact I was trying to get this car to go across it...

So all that to say, put on some 17's instead of 18's, stud them, and you're all set.....and there is always roadside assistance....

Old 05-28-2004, 01:54 AM

A set of 17" wheels with Blizzaks mounted on them got me through the last Minnesota winter, which had more snow than the few winters before it. It still doesn't have the greatest traction, but if you drive carefully it's not much of a problem.

<font color=purple>2004 G35 Coupe Diamond Graphite/Graphite 5AT</font color=purple>
Premium, Nav., 18" Wheels, Z-Xtreme Hyper Grounding Cables,
K&N filter, Clear Corners, 350Z Aluminum Pedals,
Sony Ericsson HCB-30

Old 05-28-2004, 11:33 AM

I've researched and plan on going with Blizzaks, but everyone recommends the 17" instead of the 18" why is this? Also what are studs? Anyone drive the G through Chicago winter? Thanks, you guys have been helpful, picking up my G next week so I'm concerned.

Old 05-28-2004, 11:52 AM

I have the blizzaks on 17" rims. Drove through the last NY winter no issues AT ALL. Like somebody wrote, this thing with good winter tires will do better than a subaru on all seasons. I believe so, I have seen a bunch of 4x4 car/trucks having issues while I had none to minimal getting through the snow. Its very simple, GOOD snow tires on 17" rims + VCD is all you need. Anybody that says this car is not good in winter has no clue.

Crawford Plenum / Z tube + Stillen Hi-Flow / Borla Dual Exhaust / Stillen Xdrilled+Stotted Rotors
Best 1/4 mile 14.371 @ 100.29, 60ft 2.347

Old 05-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Team Transport Member

I know this is off topic but CANADA is the SH*T! I love Montreal no one parties like the canadians party and man you guy feed you women something cuz they are all gorgeous! I just had to get that out.

Where are you guys from?

AJ

Old 05-28-2004, 12:27 PM

Most people go with 17" winter wheels/tires because for one thing it's next to impossible to find 18" winter tires that fits the coupe. The other thing is that due to the larger sidewalls of the 17" tires, they will flex more and thus provide better traction than the low profile 18" tires.

<font color=purple>2004 G35 Coupe Diamond Graphite/Graphite 5AT</font color=purple>
Premium, Nav., 18" Wheels, Z-Xtreme Hyper Grounding Cables,
K&N filter, Clear Corners, 350Z Aluminum Pedals,
Sony Ericsson HCB-30

Old 05-28-2004, 12:33 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I drove this past winter in NJ with the OEM 18" rims and Blizzaks. Zero problems. It's not a license to drive aggressively and with performance in mind. It's to get from point A to point B safely. During my commute I would often see another coupe with the pilot sports on, slipping and sliding, while i would drive past without a problem. I literally want to pull the guy out of his car and beat him for being a dumbass.

---------------------------------
http://www.anythingbox.net

Old 05-28-2004, 01:01 PM

Thanks for your help, this has been very educational. For the guy who was wondering where in Canada we are from...I am in Ottawa, but I did spend 2 years in Montreal, and you are right the girls are gorgeous.

So it sounds like if you have good winter tires, traction isn't really and issue, and it sounds like you can get through about 6 inches of snow. I am not looking for a liscense to be reckless, I just want a car that I can feel will handle the winter without me slidding everywhere and getting stuck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Winter driving the G35 Coupe