G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G or 05 Mustang GT???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G or 05 Mustang GT???

I agree..this is by far the best body style since the 60's...I give the designer's kudos on this one..but its a ford..and a ford from my experience are bad news..

I have a friend that hates ford and I mean despies ford's..but hey..tats a tuff decision..best of luck..hehehe

GGG Member Signup

Old 06-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Banned

Have you seen the motor in the Cobra...its huge....390hp stock..on 10psi .Can up boost to 16psi easy .Has great torque . Freind has one and even with my Vortech and 379wph Im kinda leery to race him .

Couldnt afford it when young...gonna play when Im old

Old 06-02-2004, 02:08 PM

Think about the resale value of these cars, Ford got the bad resale value in the market. Infiniti products brings a good resale value same as Honda, Toyota, BMW, Etc.

Old 06-02-2004, 02:32 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all let me say I am a classic Mustang fan, owning a '70 Mach I. I also own a G coupe.
I think the new Mustang looks great and sounds great on paper. I just am skeptical about it though. There is no question that Mustangs have great straight line performance. However, my experience with their new models is that they do not handle very well and are not that safe. Also the quality of the car is way below a G.
Will the new '05's have 4 wheel independent suspension or still have a solid rear axle?
If I were you, I would get a G now, and wait and see how good the Mustang is after it is out and tested. The way the G's resale value is holding up, you won't lose much if you trade it in on a Mustang later!

Old 06-02-2004, 03:11 PM

The new GT is supposed to continue using the solid rear axle and the Cobra will continue with the independent rear suspension.

I like the look of the new GT. It's going to be the best Bang-for-the-Buck competitor out there. Even the GT will most likely whup the G in 0-60 and 1/4 so if that's what's important to you then go for it. I doubt if it will be able to out-handle the G.

As mentioned earlier, the G will hold it's value better but then again you're going to have to pay thousands more for it and investment value should be the last thing you would want to buy a new car for.

04, TB/W, Nav, Aero, 6MT, Z-tube/ZWT, etc...

Old 06-02-2004, 04:27 PM

Hi I am new to the G35 but no stranger too mustangs I just picked up a G35 coupe for my wife and we traded in my 2001 Bullitt GT mustang i am a ford man all the way, but i have to give it to the G it is a well made car , Dont discount the mustang so fast i put 41,000 miles on my 01 GT and it never need any work. There is a huge aftermarket for the 99-04 and with the 87-93 94-95 5.0 there are even more parts. Ford is moving on to a 3 valve ohc VVT set up on the new gt with the GT set to make 300 hp and the cobra and special ed. who know how much HP. The G35 copue and the GT are two of the same with the G35 being more refined and The mustang being more of a brute with down low torque. for more on the 2005 GT www.2005fordmustang.com or www.stangnet.com

Old 06-02-2004, 07:23 PM

I think if you want to talk about the price range, G35 and the Cobra SVT will be in about the same, but clearly the Cobra outpowers the G (390 vs 280)

anyways, i love the GTR look, but i doubt they'll have that out in the aftermarket...or maybe o.O

Old 06-02-2004, 07:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I think the new Mustangs are pretty sweet and you simply cannot argue with that power! I don't think it will out handle the G but in a straight line it will probably handle it very easily! As for looks, you have to give the nod to the G. The Mustang looks way cool in my opinion but the G looks very classy/sexy. The Mustang looks good in the way a **** star looks good but the G looks good in the way a supermodel looks good. It all depends on what you are looking for and what you find important. One thing I would advise though, I would not buy a 2005 GT, I would wait and buy a 2006 GT so as to avoid all the problems that we all know will plague the first year Mustang. Heck my 2003 G35c had it's problems and Ford quality is not even close to Infiniti!
Goodluck with your decision.

R.I.P. Pat Tillman 1976 - 2004

Old 06-02-2004, 09:45 PM

OK, I just gotta jump in here. I just sold my 1990 Mustang GT that I had bought brand new in March of '90. I loved the power of that baby but it doesn't hold a candle to the power of the new G I got to replace it. I agree with what was said above about it being able to hang close to the G in a straight run but if you put any turns at all in the race, the G blows the 'Stang away. I can't tell you how many times I had it fishtail on me around a curve in the last 14 years. Despite my trying, I have not been able to force this G to fishtail. Can the '05 'Stang with 390 hp handle the power without fishtailing? Can it handle a 90 deg. turn at more than 45 mph without loosing traction? It would have to in order to keep up with the G.

The Mustang also did have more than its share of reliability issues although it was better than most Fords. It was not in the league with the reliability of "Big Three" Japanese car though.

As far as appearance goes, I agree with what Sinurgy says. The **** star vs. the supermodel is the perfect analogy. I am in to more class 14 years out of college now.

Go for the G for its handling and class with about the same amount of power.

Old 06-03-2004, 12:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, 2005 mustang. have absolutely aweful drag coefficient, meaning it will not slice through air like our sleek G-coupe. Again, american auto makers don't like new sleek design or modern design but only like "old fashion" non-efficient design, also its dash gauges. Don't need to argue, its only the truth, so "SUCK IT UP".

Old 06-03-2004, 02:40 AM

Interior Design :
G35 - Not the best, but just OK
Mustang - Crappy

Exterior Design :
G35 - Sleek, stylish
Mustang - Retro

Powertrain :
G35 - 3.5 v6
Mustang - 4.6 v8

Considering the high price of gas, the G is a better choice since the mustang will pee ur gas out.

Old 06-03-2004, 07:08 AM

First of all some of you must have went to car college or something. I mean your knowledge of cars reflected by your facts, figures, and specifications is impressive. I work on cars but don't know compression ratios and the like. Anyhow, getting back to the stang vs. the G. I agree with the previous posts. In addition, to what has already been said, the G is a refined car that in my opinion wins hands down over the stang in looks, handling, etc,. The stang has the edge in horses, but you could take the G and supersize or turborize your engine to terrorize stangs, 3's etc,. I don't like the look of the front of the stang, but love the rest of the car, because it does capture the classic look of the past. So it really is a matter of your personal preference, because it is not like the days of old when the stang went head to head with the camaro and trans yams, I mean Ams. So let the force guide you Luke, I'm sure you'll make the right choice. As for me the G still rules.

Old 06-03-2004, 07:19 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

...The Mustang looks good in the way a **** star looks good but the G looks good in the way a supermodel looks good. It all depends on what you are looking for and what you find important. ...

<hr></blockquote>

...or, the G is a car that you'd bring home and introduce to mom where the Ford is a car that you'd bring home and introduce to dad... [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

301-bhp!!! ...and growing!

Old 06-03-2004, 12:15 PM
Registered

don't be surprised if u get charged with a gas guzzler tax..hahah

GGG Member Signup

Old 06-03-2004, 07:02 PM

Thanks for all the comments... I guess it comes down to waiting until the Mustang comes out... It may sound superficial but if the GT-R kit will be available for the Mustang, I am pretty sure that I'll get the Mustang... I have to disagree with the GT looking like a **** star and G looking like a supermodel... YES, G is CLASSY/SEXY... but I think Mustang, in its rights, is all that CLASS/SEXY... I guess I'll just wait a few more months until the Mustang comes out and test-drive that ****... Thanks again!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G or 05 Mustang GT???