G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New Wilwood BBK - Happy, but irritated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 03:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes New Wilwood BBK - Happy, but irritated

My apologies in advance if this belongs in the "Check out my Brakes" thread. (Mod/Admin feel free to move if necessary)

This is my "adventure" in the first big mod I've purchased for my '04 coupe.

I purchased the Wilwood BBK kit from Advanced Racing Technology back in September of last year. (Received the kit about 1 month later) At the time I wanted to get Piaa wheels, but eventually decided on M35/M45 Sport Rims instead. The brake kit sat in my garage untouched for a few months while I paid down my credit card before purchasing rims/tires.

Recently I had the new wheels/tires installed at Big-O. (Picture taken after wheels/tires were installed and before BBK. yeah, yeah.. drop it, remove sticker, blah, blah, blah. )

The next weekend I scheduled my BBK install at the same Big-O. The manager claimed to have installed hundreds of brake kits so I felt safe having them do it.

So I take my car in at 8AM that next Saturday and return home. A few hours later I get a call saying that the back kit went on without a problem, but there was an issue with one of the Wilwood front calipers. Apparently it did not fit over the rotor.

Worst of all, Big-O had installed one of the front calipers with no problem what-so-ever, BUT when they went to install the other side, no dice because of the caliper. The shop charged me $200 in labor for the front install, but I went away with no new brake kit installation on the front. Big-O's reasoning for charging me seemed legit I suppose. They did not want me driving away with one new brake on the front and one old brake. The guy behind the counter said that since the wrong part was sent by Wilwood (or possibly ART), it would be their place to issue me some kind of reimbursement for the $200 in labor. (Not to mention $49.50 for the front brake flush)

I spoke with ART, who referred me to Marc at Wilwood. Marc told me to make sure that the wrong part was placed in the box and then they would send me out the correct caliper.

I checked the part numbers on the front calipers and one of them did NOT match the part number on the box. Picture below is of both calipers on top of one another showing the difference.

I was told that Wilwood would not be able to issue me a refund on the labor I was charged because they could not be sure if the incorrect part was put in the box by them or by ART, who I purchased the kit from. Wilwood also went on to say that it was Big-O's fault for not checking the part number on the box against the TINY part number on the caliper before attempting to install. This is the part I think is garbage. I believe that it is the manufacturer's responsibility to include the correct part or the vendor's duty to make sure the parts I ordered are what I ordered. Any thoughts brake aficionados?

With that being said, I was then sent a correct fitting caliper and I had the entire front kit installed today. Total cost $276. ($100 per side and $49.50 for the brake flush) There were three parts NOT included in the kit and Big-O had to purchase from a local auto store in order to complete the install. (+/- $20.00)

I was also told by Wilwood that they would send me a return shipping label so that I could send them back the incorrect fitting front caliper. They neglected to do so.

So here I sit with an extra front caliper. If Wilwood or ART wants to reimburse me for the $200 I wasted on labor, all will be fine and dandy. If they don't want to help someone out that spent over $3K on a brake kit that almost fit, then the part will not be sent back. It will either be used as an expensive paperweight or if anyone wants it, feel free to send me a PM.

If anyone plans on commenting to say that I sound like a whiny little baby, please include some pointers on how you would handle this situation. I was brought up to believe that the customer is always right, even when they aren't. In this case, I don't think I should be the one taking the $200 hit.

On a side note:
I now also have a single clicking noise coming from my center console area (right behind the radio) when I apply the brake while the car is in park. It clicks just once each time I hit the brake and it doesn't matter if I touch the brake lightly or push it all the way down. If the car is in drive/reverse, there is no clicking noise.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine has the click too, i think its just the brake-safety interlock thingy (if your a 5at..)

Old 01-04-2009, 03:23 AM
Received 217 Likes on 146 Posts
ill take it for free..........

But yea that sucks

Old 01-04-2009, 03:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bro I would be pissed too, and I would try to threaten legal action if they didn't reimburse...maybe they won't call your bluff..or maybe you should take it to a lawyer if you want to go through all that bs...but that really sucks.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:52 AM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Look up what cars use that part number for the BBK, then go on that cars forum and sell it.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:35 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
thats sucks, sorry to hear about the poor customer service

Old 01-04-2009, 05:14 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
G35 Coupe
you can use the extra caliper as a key chain :P

Old 01-04-2009, 06:45 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Clicking noise:

Sounds like you have brake knockback.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_knockback.shtml

Old 01-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
Re: Clicking noise:

Sounds like you have brake knockback.

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_knockback.shtml
Interesting Mike. Thanks for the info.

I will attempt to record the noise it makes tomorrow.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I had the same problem (return of wrong parts) many years ago on a motorcycle. I ordered some really nice back shocks for my DUCATI and was double shipped. I called and said if you send me a return lable, I'll send them back. Never heard from them. So I sold them and made some $$$.

This is really fishy. I tend the think that ART mixed it up (unless the boxes were sealed), it can happen. However, they should make it up to you somehow (credit, parts etc.).

Old 01-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jutn35
you can use the extra caliper as a key chain :P
Good idea or a nice center piece in your home. Would be pretty nice to have a nice turbo and other car parts used as decoration but I don't have money like that.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
ART vs Willwood vs Big O....nightmare!

This is crazy, spend $3k on a BBK and you not only get the wrong parts but
have to pay Big O for NOT doing the install. But I wouldn't blame them
as much as I would Wilwood, they just put the wrong caliper in the wrong box! ART has no reason to open the boxes, they're just the middle man. I'd
call Willwood back and demand to speak to someone other than an order
clerk and explain the situation to him/her. They have a reputation for quality
products I hate to see it ruined by POOR customer service....
Gary

Old 01-04-2009, 01:24 PM
The positive side....You have a Willwood BBK. Congrats! :-)

Old 01-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
Look up the part number and sell the caliper on the respective forum for 200 easy.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
Look up the part number and sell the caliper on the respective forum for 200 easy.
From the WilwoodOutlet website:

http://www.wilwoodoutlet.com/index.p...t_detail&p=924

120-8080-FS Caliper-BNSL6R
SKU: 120-8080-FS

List Price: $442.50
Our Price: $409.73

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Wilwood BBK - Happy, but irritated