G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

flywheel chatter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
flywheel chatter

Hey guys,

I have an 06 6mt coupe with 34k on it. I took it into the dealership because i was getting the "chatter" coming from the flywheel are while the car is at idle. The dealership just called and stated that I need a new clutch and flywheel assembly because of "poor clutch performance" i asked them to elaborate they stated that the clutch catches too high and isnt grabbing the gears properly. I know the clutch isn't slipping and I don't see how that explains the chatter. Any opinions?

Thanks

Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Thats BS. Chatter is common in all 6MTs. and the dealership probally quoted you well over 1200.00 for parts and labor.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:52 AM
Also if you do need a clutch you can buy one from one of the vendors here and save yourself a lot of time and money. When your clutch is ready to go you will deifinately know with these cars. The pedal becomes really stiff, the RPMS start jumping all over the place and the car is really hard to get in gear.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I get the same chatter/rattle some times, I read on this forum that it is the throwout bearing. I think it may be due to me shifting bad when I first got the car?

Old 01-05-2009, 09:55 AM
I hear what you're saying, I know the chatter is common but I doubt its "normal." I'm going to go there during lunch and have them show me exactly how they determined the clutch engages "too high" which according to them is a sign of a bad clutch and also how that would relate to the chatter. I think its BS on their part not bothering to diagnose it properly. Any other suggestions on ammunition to use with them?

Old 01-05-2009, 09:56 AM
I'm thinking throwout bearing too, anyone know if its covered under warranty?

Old 01-05-2009, 09:57 AM
Do not pay for shyt!

Old 01-05-2009, 10:02 AM
I don't plan on it. oh they also told me I need new belts.... new belts at 34k? that sounds fishy to me.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:04 AM
sounds soon to me, but I just found out that you can get both drive belts for 50 bucks or less and put it in yourself. There is a video in here on how to due it. You can probably wait but do it yourself and save some $$$

Old 01-05-2009, 10:10 AM
Sounds like your dealership is trying to really rape you on the prices. 34k and your belts already need replacements....yeah okay. I could see 50k but it sounds like there trying to get youn under the service plan setup. Dont fall for it.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:56 AM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
all 6mt have high clutch engagement, there is a thread on here on how to lower it.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Well I went to the dealership and asked them to show me what a normal clutch would feel like. They brought around an 06 coupe that I drove. The pedal in theirs felt a bit lighter and the engagement point was slightly lower. Apparently the original owner was advised that the car needed a new clutch at roughly15k. I spoke with the service manager and he stated that infiniti hadn't done any work on that clutch.

My theory is that for one if the clutch was bad at 15k at 34k there should be absolutely nothing left. The previous owner prolly had the clutch replaced and might have put in a lighter weight flyweel causing the rattle or chatter.

Guess I'll keep on driving it until she starts slipping, that or take it for a second opinion lol/

Old 01-05-2009, 01:24 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by khezik
Well I went to the dealership and asked them to show me what a normal clutch would feel like. They brought around an 06 coupe that I drove. The pedal in theirs felt a bit lighter and the engagement point was slightly lower. Apparently the original owner was advised that the car needed a new clutch at roughly15k. I spoke with the service manager and he stated that infiniti hadn't done any work on that clutch.

My theory is that for one if the clutch was bad at 15k at 34k there should be absolutely nothing left. The previous owner prolly had the clutch replaced and might have put in a lighter weight flyweel causing the rattle or chatter.

Guess I'll keep on driving it until she starts slipping, that or take it for a second opinion lol/
Glad you reach a fairly solid conclusion. Keep on drivin until it causes you a problem

Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 PM
i have an 04 6mt with 83K and i have a similar problem, after i drive around and let the car idle i can hear the fly wheel kind of skip. i called the dealership and they said its normal because on all mt. i bought the car used and the guy told me the clutch had already been replaced and i was just wondering if i may need a need one soon because i sometimes have a hard time shifting from first to second but i think its more of a shift timing issue with myself rather a clutch or fly wheel problem, what do you think.

Originally Posted by Hi-Tech_G
Also if you do need a clutch you can buy one from one of the vendors here and save yourself a lot of time and money. When your clutch is ready to go you will deifinately know with these cars. The pedal becomes really stiff, the RPMS start jumping all over the place and the car is really hard to get in gear.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:33 PM
That noise is most likely a lightweight flywheel in there (normal) or the rubber in between the dual-masses of the OEM dual-mass flywheel has deteriorated (which I've never heard of before in a G35). If the problem was your throw-out bearing I would think the problem would be when your clutch is disengaged (foot to the floor), not when it is engaged.

Does the noise happen more when the tranny is warm? If so it's probably a flywheel. A quick check is to wait until the car makes the noise (preferrably when in neutral), then press the clutch in. If the noise goes away, it's a lightweight flywheel. Also, the noise is easier to hear outside the car than in it.

--Bryce

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: flywheel chatter