G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Oil change-Infiniti or Nissan dealership?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
I take mine to Nissan for all service. The only reason I take it to Infiniti is for Warranty work. Nissan charges a cheaper labor rate than Infiniti does.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Infinity dealership in Charlotte NC charges 42.00, not real sure what Nissan charges.

But as long as you have a receipt, it will not effect your warranty.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:25 PM
Yeah well I've had my oil change done at the dealer a few times... cant find a lot of $20 oil changes anymore. Plus places like Valvoline are inexpiernced and usually charge the same price which is around $40 with a coupon. At my dealer it was 34.99+tax with a coupon. If you dont have a coupon then its like $45... kind of steap..... but I would rather pay 10-15 dollars more every 3 months than have someone at wal-mart scratch my car & forget to put the oil plug in... but I have to admit to that I have used the Valvoline place a few times as well as Conrads.

Old 01-17-2009, 07:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by thegame101
The Infinity dealership in Charlotte NC charges 42.00, not real sure what Nissan charges.

But as long as you have a receipt, it will not effect your warranty.
I recently had a problem with the wife's sedan having a severe knock. Took it to Lake Norman Infiniti (under warranty w/ 30K miles) and they did give me a little lip about not having receipts.....I showed them my log (mileage/dates of oil changes) and then went down to my Nissan dealer to get a printout of all of my oil filter purchases. I gave the printout to them and they said they would call me if it was approved...... They called and said it was approved, so they replaced the timing chain tensioner. They said the engine had no sludge and was extremely clean.
They said that next time it will probably not be an automatic 'yes' for coverage again. I told them I was fine with that, I'll just keep their loaner an extra day!!

Also, my manager told me that you DON"T have to show receipts for warranty work. Mentioned a court case...I'll have to do more research on it....

I've been changing the oil in my cars for the past 30 years....not because I'm cheap, but because I trust the mechanic.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
take it to Nissan and you will most likely save money. Infiniti uses Nissan parts, in some cases different part numbers thats the only difference really. Oil changes I do myself, but all other maintenance I'll go to Nissan. Last time I was there it was $59 for a synthetic change as opposed to Infiniti which is $90. I got my brakes changed recently at Nissan it was $200 more for the same service at Infiniti.

Only downsides here is you probably cant get a loaner, and they only have 1 blend of coffee in the waiting area

Old 01-17-2009, 08:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Plenty of places I see do oil changes for $25 or less. Not sure what kind of oil they pour in. I just got 5 quarts of the German Castrol Syntec and a Mobil 1 110 filter from Auto Zone for $34.99.

Radioguy pretty much summed it up. Lower labor rate, no loaner, and they probably won't wash your car. But, not all Infiniti dealerships are made the same. Some around me are far superior to others - Starbucks coffee, work desks, big lounges, big TVs, etc.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I used to work for Nissan, and I've seen quite a few Infinitis roll in for routine maintenance.
For O/C's I'd prefer to do it myself, but that's just me.
But then again overall, I rarely bring my car to the dealer unless if it's my absolute last resort. For anything. [excluding warranty things]

Old 01-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by Yv12345vY
Radioguy pretty much summed it up. Lower labor rate, no loaner, and they probably won't wash your car. But, not all Infiniti dealerships are made the same. Some around me are far superior to others - Starbucks coffee, work desks, big lounges, big TVs, etc.
My Nissan dealer DOES have loaners.
As far as car washes go, I prefer to wash them myselve.
Oh, and my Nissan dealer does have coffee and a TV in the lounge! Not that this matters to me!! I'm more interested in getting my car fixed at a reasonable rate as opposed to having my a** kissed.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
oil change

I take it to Infiniti and yeah they charge me $65 to do it, but it is mobil one and a oem oil filter(nissan). So if I go buy oil and a filter I am at $40 at Auto Zone. I will pay them the 25 bucks to do an inspection of my car, check my air pressure, wash it, and my hands are still clean after the oil change. Best yet during that 45 minutes of waiting I can raid the free fruit, health bars, water, and starbucks coffee. Just my point of view.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:49 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I've been inside parts dept for Infinity Dealers (in the back warehouse where they keep EVERYTHING) and they all have nissan logo on ALL of the parts. As far as oil they go based on what you want, the ok oil or better name brand oil. I personally do it my self, since I run full synthetic on my car and would only take it to a Infinity dealer for warranty. just my two cents.....

Old 01-18-2009, 07:27 AM
Oh, one other thing..
I purchased my 04 coupe used with 44K miles on her. I immediately went online to get a quote for an extended warranty backed by Nissan.
Quote was just over $1,600 for a 36M/36K.
Drove to my local Nissan dealer and got the same exact warranty for $1,100.
When I called the internet site back from the dealership, they said they couldn't touch it.
SO, if anything happens to my coupe, it will be going back to my local Nissan dealer for warranty work.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:54 AM
I agree with Black ACC, I take my G to the dealer incase any oil consumption problems arise in my rev up engine. I pay about 50/ oil change and they always wash my car and clean the inside as well.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:04 AM
to the guy that said all infiniti products have the nissan logo on them...of course they do infiniti = nissan, now the thing that will get you thinking that they are all the same parts, over 1/2 the numbers don't cross over from Infiniti's FAST to Nissans FAST.

Nissans service records whatever they use be it Reynolds and Reynolds or the other one they dealers are allowed to use, does NOT cross over to Infiniti net you must keep those yourself in a folder thats my advice to you.

About extended warranties, i'm not sure but if its a nissan warranty they won't cover Infinit specific part numbers, i could be wrong but i might be right, i'd watch out for that.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Nissan dealer labor rates cheaper than Infiniti's.

Receipts are receipts regardless who or where service done.
As far as future warranty issues are concerned, those are proof service was maintained.
Be sure to keep all those.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Honestly, I just buy synthetic and do the oil changes myself. But then again I work at a shop. So my car is always used as a demo vehicle for new techs. I haven't actually "done" my own oil change in years. But the last time I let a new guy do my oil change, somehow he managed to lose my drain bolt down the oil drain, and I had to "find" a new one for my car. Gotta love it when he came up to me and said "uhhh, There's a small problem. . ." The look on his face was priceless =D

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil change-Infiniti or Nissan dealership?