G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Help body shop giving me hard time..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:30 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Got cha' thanks for the clarification, I just couldn't wrap my head around how you would do that ON TOP of a clear coat.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update... talk to mngr ordering new bumper..since there was a warping issue on a certain part of the bumper.. as far as paint, i was ask where the car was made, i reply Japan.. Then they stated ok. As of today it won't be done, they sent another guy from a different company to come and look at it and thats the last i've heard. They need to order paint from japan or something to get this issue straight cuz this body shop was suppose ot be good and high rating but i don't think they can tackle this job problem with my vehicle..

Old 02-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Another tragic story of a painter not making a test panel and not blending the fenders.

PPGfreak do you think the paint from Japan is gonna match? lol

Old 02-20-2009, 07:31 PM
I got a feeling they aren't going to go that far... they might just get another company to try to paint it.. n they are goign to say well this is the best we can do we used special camera's from painting company.. we've tried it 5 times.. we've gotten diff company to do this and this is the best we can do.. I can already hear all those reasons next week..

Old 02-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Even brand new off the lot, the bumper is slightly darker.

I agree they should be able to match it but there is a difference in the way paint looks on plastic vs. metal.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Yea i know there is a difference but when you can clearly see its a BIG difference then its a diff story,

Old 02-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by naughty240
Another tragic story of a painter not making a test panel and not blending the fenders.

PPGfreak do you think the paint from Japan is gonna match? lol
Thats to funny!
naught240 is right, if the painter did a "test" panel and walked over to the car with it he would of said oh **** this is wrong.....then tint the color as close as you can and blend it. Then go home knowing you did the job right.
Originally Posted by chester
I got a feeling they aren't going to go that far... they might just get another company to try to paint it.. n they are goign to say well this is the best we can do we used special camera's from painting company.. we've tried it 5 times.. we've gotten diff company to do this and this is the best we can do.. I can already hear all those reasons next week..
Tell them not to call you untill they do it right, oh and if they paint it more then twice then tell them to keep it and you want a new bumper. If thats the best they can do then take the car some where else and they can pay the bill. What state are you in? and what insurance company is paying? I will pm you my cell number so you can call me if they cant figure out how to paint. I can get your car shipped from any where so I can fix it right and have it shipped it back.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:19 PM
insurance is state farm... Florida... I forgot to mention they took my gas door off to try to match it .. but i guess it didn't help from before.. PPGfreak about ur Pm i went with a state farm selective service cuz it has life time warranty.. they said i can go wherever i want but won't have the life time warranty if it isn't one of the select services..

P.S. suppose to take only 2 days but its been almost 2 weeks now.. im losing my patience..

Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 PM
A lot of shops go by the gas door which to me is dumb. I match to the panel it is up against not one 8ft away.

I personally think you should never go to the recommended shops that insurance companys recommend. They recommend them cause it cheaper for the ins co and they will skip steps to save money(like not blending the fenders, taping door handles and mouldings etc..etc..).

Any shop with a decent reputation will have a lifetime warranty. No one keeps cars more than a few years nowadays anyhow.

The place you went to is a text book example why everyone hates body shops and think they are all crooks.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Originally Posted by chester
insurance is state farm... Florida... I forgot to mention they took my gas door off to try to match it .. but i guess it didn't help from before.. PPGfreak about ur Pm i went with a state farm selective service cuz it has life time warranty.. they said i can go wherever i want but won't have the life time warranty if it isn't one of the select services..

P.S. suppose to take only 2 days but its been almost 2 weeks now.. im losing my patience..
Taking the gas door off as naughty240 said is not that smart, IMO. The gas door is not even in the same area there trying to match the paint What if the cap had been painted? On top of that I would take your old bumper to try and match. There trying to tint a color by the metal painted part and then put it on plastic? lol good luck with that. If they told you to go to a shop its because there "DRP" Direct Repair Program. They got together with the shop and said we will give you all our work if you will do it cheaper? The shop said yes because they know there going to make less on each job but they know there going to get more work out of it. Would you rather make %80 off 100 cars or %100 off 10? So there for State Farm is the one giving the life time warranty, the shop might not even have it. A good shop with good body/paint techs will give you a life time warranty. The shop should have your new bumper in before you drop off the car so when the car shows up the take it a part and paint it. Then the second day they put it together and take care off any buffing if they need to. I can see three days if there busy but a week two weeks Your car has been sitting in a body shop for two weeks? I would show up and check on it, see if it covered so they dont grind,weld or paint near it.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Your never going to get a perfect match on any color when something is being re-painted.
Unless it is straight black, thus no blending is needed.
The body shop should however, be able to come close...

Old 02-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by PPGFREAK
Im not talking about "clear coat blending" im talking about "color blending" You blend most color's the same, not all but most. If you put a new door on a car the you paint half the fender and quarter with color. Then clear the hole fender and quarter.
Look at it like this the door needs %100 color but the fender and quarter allready have color just darker,lighter, or has a different side ton or flop. So the first 2" of the fender and quarter get %100 color and 6" get %80, 10" get %50 14" gets %25 color and then nothing. If you still dont understand then let me know and I will pust pictures.

I guess that's why you are called PPGfreak...that is correct..I had a little ding on my door that somebody did and they had to pretty much paint that whole side of the car..the fender..door and part of the quarter to "blend" it..it looks awesome, you can't tell...but you know your paint!!! having IP is definitley a hard color to match...the guy said "oh no..it's a three stage"...I said YUP!!!!

Old 02-23-2009, 05:18 PM
^Too bad he uses PPG

Old 02-23-2009, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by naughty240
^Too bad he uses PPG
I'll second that...

Old 02-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Why is that?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help body shop giving me hard time..