G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Seeking G35 coupe advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeking G35 coupe advice

Looking for advice on the G35 as a "jack of all trades" car. Long story short, I sold my weekend toy, a 525hp '98 Corvette, and decided I'd rather have a nice car I can use as a commuter a few times per week. Still keeping my current commuter '99 Mazda Protege, as it's worth more to me than to sell it. It's a fine buzz box commuter, but I'm ready for more luxury and just a nice car. 'Vette was wild, and I know the G35 couldn't match the performance, but it was just not suited to commuting duties. I'd prefer something more with more luxury and comfort. But I don't want a pure luxury sedan, like the last generation Q45, they're too much like a barge. I want something that's got civilized luxury, but can still perform.

I've got my choices down to the Pontiac GTO and the G35. Yes, they're different in philosophy, but they're both sports coupes and they're my two choices at the moment. Being a total car nut like I am, I have a good understanding of the cars, but want to hear from owners. To me, the G35 has more luxuries, will handle better, but the 100 less hp is in my mind too. I have experience with the G35, as my wife and I bought an '04 G35x in Dec. '03. We kept it a few years and I drove it some, but that was an auto trans AWD sedan. I'm looking for a 6MT coupe, so I know they're different. For the record, I thought the G35x was a very nice car. Wasn't too fond of the interior though. I found it a solid handling, decently quick car, but a bit on the heavy side. The wife LOVED it.

Is there anywhere on this forum I can see specific model changes from year to year. I'm aware of the power bump from '04 to '05 (I think that's right), the redesigned interior, the dropping of Brembos after '04 (correct?) and some things like that. But are there other major changes from '05 to '06? I'm looking to buy on a budget, so I'm trying to decide which would be right for me. Would I be happier with the '04 that has less power, but has the better brakes, or the '05?

Also, can anyone tell me about the coupe on an autox course or a track like Pocono Raceway or Watkins Glen?

Tried to keep this post as short as I can, sorry if it's too long. I just want to get some details about the differences in G35 from year to year, and also what the experience of owners is regarding it's ability to be a jack of all trades.

Steve

Last edited by Klayfish; 03-03-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
Welcome. Ill start with this

1) 03 was the first year for the G35, thus the year with the most problems

2) but 03-04 models had an option for brembo brakes

3) 05 is the first year with the rev-up engine (more hp) and better interior (also 19" rays wheels)

4) 06-07 has nice interior also and this is the year they added different sideskirts and projector headlights. Also some models have rear active steering and 19" rays wheels

They pretty basic description of some of the major differences and hopes it helps you making your decision.

Also the auto has 280 BHP and the 6MT has 298 BHP. Something to consider.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
InfinitiHelp.com has a "models" section that highlights all the model year specs and features - might help you with your research.

i'd swing for an 06-07 if you can afford it. i can't speak for the difference between 05 and earlier models, but from my personal research when shopping for mine late last year - i know a few key differences between the 05 and 06/07 auto (may be a few other differences with the 6MT) models are:

Bluetooth (w/ Prem Package)
New Taillights
New Headlights (Projectors)
New Spoiler (w/ Aero Package or optional)
New Front Lip (w/ Sport Package)
Intelligent Key (w/ Prem Package)
Drivers seat and steering wheel memory (w/ Prem Package)
Active Rear-Steer System (versus Passive - w/ Sport Package)

again, you can find all of this and compare the 6MTs specifically over at InfinitiHelp.com.

good luck!