6MT = win

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
6mt is the only way to go. Period.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6mt ftw ........ It makes me so mad when I see guys with Ferraris in paddle shift

Old 03-23-2009, 01:43 PM
Received 221 Likes on 121 Posts
Paddleshift>6mt

Old 03-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish I had 6mt.

What was I thinking.

Only good thing is when I get in traffic going to work it could be worse if I had 6mt.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cc1012
6mt ftw ........ It makes me so mad when I see guys with Ferraris in paddle shift
In terms of performance/speed and consistency in shifts both up and down a true Ferrari paddle (or comparable system) is leaps and bounds better than what most of us can do with shifts.
Put paddles on a regular auto tranny in a regular car, then no, manual is superior. But any form of modern dual clutch or Ferrari single clutch paddle system will blow any normal driver out of the water.

My best friend has his own exotics dealer in Vegas and I've had a chance to drive a lot of said cars: DCT in a GTR, Ferrari F1 in a 360CS and F430, R-tronic in an R8, PDK in a 911. Aside from the last one looking a little silly with the little buttons and all of them not giving you the true feel of a manual, they are superior in performance. If you have a chance to drive/track something like this it is very apparent. I'm no pro racer, I'd like to be, but for everyday people interested in tracking, true new paddle systems are superior.
Except for parking, that is undeniably horrible, especially when trying to maneuver a bunch of quarter million dollar cars in a showroom to align them perfectly. That kind of ruins it.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Unhappy

6mt ftw ! I regret everday driving an automatic g. EVERYDAY .. like someone before said, nothing like rowing through the gears controling your car. I feel like a girl putting my car into "drive" and leaving it there to move by itself. the tiptronic **** doesn't cut it either LOL. traffic is annoying either way in auto or mt. I never drive in traffic.

UPGRADE TO MT !! (:

Old 03-23-2009, 02:33 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
6mt = more tickets.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:44 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
I wonder how many people who say 6MT FTW have tried driving daily with an upgraded Triple Plate Clutch from say ORC??? My left Calf leg is still more toned then my right thanks to traffic in NY with it. Granted, when there's no traffic, and your in a 2 lane back road,6MT is so amazing. Then again, a transmission shifting gears in 0.2 seconds is also amazing.

Hence why so many Ferrari Owners are going with it compared to 6MT as you have to remember, the paddle shifters transmission in a F430 is STILL a 6MT, just the Clutch is automated. There is no Torque Converter which is what makes a Slush box...a slush box. Remember the differences kiddies, and for those wondering, the 7AT in the new G/Z is a slush box but I think it's an advanced Torque Converter which is why the horsepower numbers are the same, shifts gears better and has the downshift rev matching feature on it.

Hopefully some of you found this information useful.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by BulletproofG35
I wonder how many people who say 6MT FTW have tried driving daily with an upgraded Triple Plate Clutch from say ORC??? My left Calf leg is still more toned then my right thanks to traffic in NY with it. Granted, when there's no traffic, and your in a 2 lane back road,6MT is so amazing. Then again, a transmission shifting gears in 0.2 seconds is also amazing.
That's just it, everyone hates 6mt in traffic, much less a full race clutch setup. But for actual driving...FTW.

Hence why so many Ferrari Owners are going with it compared to 6MT as you have to remember, the paddle shifters transmission in a F430 is STILL a 6MT, just the Clutch is automated. There is no Torque Converter which is what makes a Slush box...a slush box. Remember the differences kiddies, and for those wondering, the 7AT in the new G/Z is a slush box but I think it's an advanced Torque Converter which is why the horsepower numbers are the same, shifts gears better and has the downshift rev matching feature on it.
Exactly, TRUE paddles are still manual but with a computer unit replacing your left leg and brain. I think a better way of saying it CLUTCH FTW. Simple design, wonderful fun. But with any automated clutch, low speed manuevers/parking is horrendous as the clutch has essentially very little slip so it's jerky and a bit unpredictable.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by stradaONE8

Exactly, TRUE paddles are still manual but with a computer unit replacing your left leg and brain. I think a better way of saying it CLUTCH FTW. Simple design, wonderful fun. But with any automated clutch, low speed manuevers/parking is horrendous as the clutch has essentially very little slip so it's jerky and a bit unpredictable.
That's the one complaint I have for it as it is a bit unforgiving but as I've always said: if we ourselves aren't perfect, how can we expect something we make to be so?"

Old 03-23-2009, 03:05 PM
That's the one complaint I have for it as it is a bit unforgiving but as I've always said: if we ourselves aren't perfect, how can we expect something we make to be so?"
Haha, some philosophy mixed in with the FTWs.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Paddle= slit between your legs........ Your right ferrari may have the best paddle shift in the world but they also have the best gated 6sp in the world. I'd have a boner just getting a chance to row thru that gear box. You can say its faster all you want and your right but who takes their ferrari or lamb to the road track? Personally I'd rather be the one drivin the car not some computer. Have you guys ever driven in a paddle shift ferrari? It drives like junk when your driving normally. When you reverse slowly it feels like the car is going to stall.
Bottom line......
6sp= true driving enthusiast
Paddle shift = wannabe

I understand people get AT because they drive a lot but don't do that to your weekend warrior

Old 03-23-2009, 07:50 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Paddle= slit between your legs........ Your right ferrari may have the best paddle shift in the world but they also have the best gated 6sp in the world. I'd have a boner just getting a chance to row thru that gear box. You can say its faster all you want and your right but who takes their ferrari or lamb to the road track? Personally I'd rather be the one drivin the car not some computer. Have you guys ever driven in a paddle shift ferrari? It drives like junk when your driving normally. When you reverse slowly it feels like the car is going to stall.
Bottom line......
Paddle shift = wannabe

I understand people get AT because they drive a lot but don't do that to your weekend warrior
All points true except for saying Paddle = Slit between your legs. Does that mean Michael Schumacher who drove a F1 car with Paddles a "Slit between your legs". You don't have to like cars other then true pure manual clutch manual transmission but to say people who drive them have a "slit between your legs"is the reason all car forums have the never ending AT V.S. MT argument.

P.S. Princess Jen has a "slit between her legs" and loves her 6MT just fine.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Bottom line......
Paddle shift = wannabe

ROFL @ the slit cmomment. No one is saying manual isn't more fun or representative of TRUE driving skill/experience, but that does not discount the many performance advantages of paddles. That's all, you need to relax your oversized ego.

And yes I have driven paddles, many in fact as I listed: Nissan GTR, Ferrari F340, 360 Challenge Stradale, 575M, Porsche 911 PDK, Audi R8, TT-S...
yes the older Ferraris (360 and 575) weren't the smoothest in Auto mode, but in manual mode the paddles work just fine during normal driving.

All the newer cars are wonderful on the street but as stated many times before, a chore during fine low speed maneuvers/parking.

As for who takes Ferraris on the track? Not many people, but some that I have met. But last I checked that point is irrelevant as they were kind of made to do that...and that's all I'm saying. For an average person, paddles will be a good bit faster with a true clutch based paddle setup than a manual. For pros, different story...but again, I stated that.
And as for Ferrari's having a the best transmission...some are quite notchy and finicky. Drive a 997 GT3, see how you like that transmission, hell drive a manual Audi R8...that is pure sex in terms of transmission, it depends on what you like anyways...

Jump off your high horse. Experience more than hearsay and then talk in absolutes...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6MT = win