G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Front plate holes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2003, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front plate holes

Hi guys,
this is my first time in here. Just got my G35 coupe on monday night. Dimond Griphite, Prem., Perfor., Aero, and Navi. Will post pictures soon. In California dealers must put a front plate frame before delivering the vehicle to the customer.
Now I have two ugly holes on my front bumper. Anyone can tell me were can I get plugs for those holes. I was told that there are avelable for this purpose. Thanks..

Old 03-27-2003, 02:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Front plate holes

Whoa,

The dealer had to place the front plate for you by law? That's a no. I bought my G35C here in San Diego and they told me that if you want to place the front plate, I could come in and have them install it since they had to drill holes in the front of the bumper. They do not have to do it by law, it's your car and you can do whatever you want with it.

Now to fill those holes up, looks like you need a filling compound like bondo and touchup paint. There is a method on this forum on how to place the front plate without drilling holes on the front bumper. Good luck =)

Old 03-27-2003, 03:09 AM

Yeah, that doesn't really make sense.. especially since all they're doing is installing the plate holder, you don't get the plates until they show up in the mail several weeks later.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 03-27-2003, 11:26 AM

Ray is right...it is "state law" to have them...but not for the dealer to install them. Also...your dealer should've made you sign a separate form that said you either asked the dealer to install the front plate, or not install it. Was it installed already while it was on the lot...? Or was it not installed until you purchased it...? If it wasn't installed until you purchased it, I personally think that you should go back to the dealer and have them fix this problem in some way, considering you were supposed to sign a form for it (at least I did, and some other people I've talked to have had to as well). Either tell them to replace the bumper or tell them to find a way to fix the holes...IMO.

Old 03-27-2003, 12:14 PM

No matter what they do it will not be the same. Filling in the holes is not going to come out good, replacing the bumper will take a long time, since they will need to get one first and then color paint it to match your car. I am in the process of going back to my dealer who not only drilled two holes but also an additional one accidentally. They did not even tell me about their mistake until I took off the plate holder. I am pissed off and very upset. The dealer has assured me they will do anything to make me happy, I will see if they keep their promise.

Old 03-27-2003, 12:40 PM

I am thinking of doing the same. Cerritos Infiniti drilled and mounted the plate before I even bought the car. After I took the plate and plate holder off I found that not only were the holes there but they had used screws that were too long to mount the plate. As a result there are two big scratches from the screws rubbing the bumper paint. That is B.S. I think that no matter what the law I should have the right to decline a front plate. What made me even more angery is that I read a post from someone who lived in Ohio or something. They said that there is a plate holder that is made by infiniti I believe that is designed to "snap" into the square hole in the bumper for the front tow hook. It access door is located directly under the front license plate holder. According to this guy this snap-in holder causes no damage to the car. So time to open another can with the infiniti service dep. Sheesh! [img]/w3timages/icons/mad.gif[/img]

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 03-27-2003, 02:26 PM

Here in Chicago, front plates are also required "by law" - but as most of you said, the dealership left it up to me whether to install the plate or not - they simply left the kit in the trunk. But then again, this same dealership also offered to tint my driver/passenger windows, which is also illegal in Illinois.

Old 03-27-2003, 06:13 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll try going back to dealer but I dought that they'll do anything to it. So maybe I'll look for those plugs.
I've seen some they dont look to bad.

Old 03-28-2003, 11:02 AM

Purchase the Nissan/Toyota body panel plugs from any parts store. Scuff the tops (just slightly). Apply several coats of the touch-up paint from dealer and let dry. Push the plugs through the plate holes. Done! Took me maybe 15 minutes and $2. BTW, the bumper is very weak. It bends simply by pushing on it.

G35 Coupe 5AT, Brilliant Silver, Tire and Wheel Pkg.
G RIFIK 1

Old 03-28-2003, 11:08 AM

Pic of plate plugs

G RIFIK 1

Old 03-28-2003, 11:19 AM

Once more.

G RIFIK 1

Old 03-28-2003, 08:27 PM

Last try.

G RIFIK 1

34511-Plate Plugs revised.JPG

Old 03-28-2003, 10:41 PM

Thanks for the tip and the picutre. The only problem is the morons at the dealer drilled the holes not leveled. The hole on the left is at least 3/8" to 1/2" lower then the one on the right so even with small plugs it will be visable to a naked eye. I've gone back to dealer to talk to the sales manager and he told me to bring the car on Saturday and they'll take care of it. I realy don't know what to excpect. So I'll let you guys know how it went.

Old 03-30-2003, 02:20 AM

Went back to dealer today. After much debate I decided that removing the bumper cover off the new car is not the best option that I have. So I decided to drill a new hole to make it strait. They admitted that it was their fault so they gave me a chrome license plate with chrome Infiniti logo insert plate. So after all it's not to bad. I will eventualy cover the hole somehow but for now it looks nice the way it is. I'll post pictures soon.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front plate holes