<font color=green>04 G35C DG AT
Prem Aero Perf RSG CC
2004 Pathfinder for the family
</font color=green>

Old 07-08-2004, 10:40 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: HELP! My tires WON'T chirp!!!

Ahh Joel, what do ya know I think me and you should trade, it would suit the age difference better rite? =))))) J/K

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 07-08-2004, 10:59 PM

Chirping is sometimes indicative of power, occasionally indicative of poor shifting, and often indicative of BAD TIRES. I'm half kidding, but as folks have pointed out chirping is not making you go faster. I agree that it is fun, though, so you should learn how to do it.

Here's a suggestion. Stop in a flat deserted parking lot. Push the VDC button so that the VDC OFF light appears. Depress the clutch and rev your engine to 3500 rpms. Now release the clutch and mash the gas in one fluid simultaneous motion. You'll chirp To chirp between gears, hold the pedal all the way to the rev limit and practice shifting as fast and as smoothly as you can.

That said, unless you're powershifting chirping doesn't always happen. In my car, unless I'm powershifting (which I never do anymore) I NEVER chirp between gears. EVER. Even with 385rwhp. And if you think it's because I'm granny shifting, just <a href="http://www.audioenvy.com/DownHill.wmv">check out this little video</a>. Reasonably fast shifts at 7100 rpms, no chirps whatsoever.

Hint: It's because I'm driving around with drag radials as my everyday tires

--Steve

Old 07-08-2004, 11:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exactly is powershifting? Sorry for my ignorance

Old 07-08-2004, 11:17 PM

Powershifting is holding the gas pedal to the floor even during shifts.

--Steve

Old 07-08-2004, 11:32 PM

Zimbo- so rather then releasing the gas while I press in the clutch...I'd continue applying gas even while having the clutch fully engaged? This sounds like it would be terrible for our cars...When I mentioned earlier that I have "chirped" my tires, I've done so through hard acceleration after shifting gears...I let off the gas completely while having the clutch in and then mash the pedal as soon as I've completed the shift..But after watching your video I'm guessing I should start trying to practice shifting hard and at high rpms without spinning my tires...My car is only a month old and I just thought it was normal for the tires to chirp when under hard acceleration..I must be doing something wrong..DAMN

Old 07-08-2004, 11:49 PM

I didn't want to confuse anyone. When I was running stock tire widths, chirping tires was pretty easy do to. Now that I'm running sticky 275 width T1-s out back, it's a little harder to pull off. I almost have to powershift everytime to get a chirp. This isn't something I do all the time. As Zimbo stated, a good manual shifter is one that gets minimum chirps no matter how much power is being put down. That's where I am on the learning curve right now, but I do like to chirp once and awhile. The method I suggested to him will result in a chirp MOST of the time, however it's not meant to be done daily. You must take into consideration that he doesn't know how to shift fast enough to get a chirp otherwise. As far as not belonging in this car...we have to start somewhere. I wish my first manual was a G35. Like I said before, I'm on 40k miles with the same tranny and clutch. Some of you guys baby your cars way too much. The tranny and clutch can take a powershift once and awhile. Remember, we have the same clutch, shifter, and tranny as the 350Z and that's a full blown sports car.

'03 G35C, 6MT, Black, Pop Charger, 18x8.5/9.5 BBS RGR, 245/275 40 Toyo T1-S, Tein S-Tech

Old 07-09-2004, 12:04 AM

Yeah, powershifting is pretty hard on the transmission.

I should point out that when I was running regular street tires, traction was a much bigger problem than it is with drag radials, to say the least. After installing the supercharger, sometimes even on a flat dry road the tires would lose traction while accelerating (i.e. not just in between shifts).

--Steve

Old 07-09-2004, 12:40 AM

Zimbo,

with that kind of power, I guess you have to force yourself to shift smoothly. A powershift in your case could be disasterous.

'03 G35C, 6MT, Black, Pop Charger, 18x8.5/9.5 BBS RGR, 245/275 40 Toyo T1-S, Tein S-Tech

Old 07-09-2004, 12:41 AM

After reading all of the posts.. i see what the issues are with my not chirping.

1. Me not driving the car hard enough or shifting hard enough to make the tires chirp.

2. Me not having VDC off.

I'm not a guy that wants to chirp through the first few gears all the time. My main concern was that maybe i had some retarded version of a G35 that didn't have the same power as others. Now i know it's just me babying the car too much.

| 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Premium Pkg | Navigation |

Old 07-09-2004, 12:51 AM

I agree with your assesment...Especially the VDC having to be turned off....The first time I tried to open my baby up I had VDC turned on and when I shifted hard my car felt like it died down..The VDC applied brakes to my rear tires because it felt I was in danger...DEF shut the VDC off and report back to us..lol g'luck

Old 07-09-2004, 02:37 AM

Yeah, stop babying the car and turn off VDC... I forgot to turn off my VDC when racing my friend in his altima... sadly he beat me to like 40MPH then had to stop...
I pretty much got made fun of by him and I felt terrible... to this day I wake up with hight terrors because of that VDC button...
Now, I always turn it off before I move, just so that doesn't happen again...

Old 07-09-2004, 09:56 AM

i dont always cruise with my vdc off like some people here.... the area that i live in has these RIDICULOUS roads.... i dont know if most people realize it, but all the car people around where i live understand thats its just flat out dangerous. The roads have little smooth pebbles that are just raised higher than the cememnt that they are in high enough to have very small amounts of traction on the very slippery rocks. When i had my suburban and my anti lock brakes were out, i could drive down one of the streets while it was wet just tapping my brakes and getting sideways then switching to my gas and tapping my brakes and counter steering.... ic ould go down the road sliding right then left then rigght and so on and so forth.... haha so if i went with no vdc all the time i would probably kill myself on that road. I have done 2 180's on it when i was simply trying to slide a little bit (once in a suburban in heavy traffic... once in the g with no one around.) I have been saved a couple of times when i wasnt thinking and took turns like i was on grabby cement and not realizing i was on tar + smooth pebbles, and my SLIP light came on and cut power perfectly for me to regain control..... vdc is pretty embarrassing with other people in the car tho because of how it throws u forward.... i chirped a gear with vdc on once not thinking about it... just driving my car hard to show off to my female passenger , and she just was like "UHHH i guess ur getting a little better at driving stick.... but still need work". It's ok tho cause when i first got my car i was just cruising in 1st gear taking a girl home and i would just hit the gas WOT and let off and throw her back and forth just messing around..... all the time in 1st gear not shifting or anything.... and the girl was just like "WOW ur really bad at driving stick"

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas

Old 07-09-2004, 12:19 PM

Damn Deang35c6,
I got my Coupe in December of 2002 also...Ive got about 17k mile on her now. You've been doing some driving.

"Dont start none, won't be none"

Old 07-09-2004, 04:12 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

Well sometimes I get in my car in a rush and then I look down at my dashboard and see VDC off LOL. Im like WTF?!?! I do it now EVERY single time I get in my car and don't even realize. Its such a bad habit.. Ive gotten in trouble with that a few times while spinning out after a rainfall on wet grounds but luckily nothing happened. Now with my new wider tires and rims also that the car is lowered I can hardly slip with vdc off and it pisses me off sometimes cause its not as fun anymore!! Might sound stupid to people but I like to have fun with it although the better traction is a plus anyday. One time I turned it off coming out of a carwash with a lot of traffic (jericho tpk.) in ny for those who know and I did almost a full 360 because of the slippery driveway of the carwahs, now that was scary. now im alot more cautious. Becarefull raz Same with anyone else, ive learned! Martin

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP! My tires WON'T chirp!!!