G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

rain in car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rain in car

ok so i live in texas and the weather is unpredictable. so i was suppose to go run an errand on saturday and it was 80 degrees outside so i used my key to lower the windows of my G. (all the way down) then right before i leave my dad wakes up and we start talking, i decide not to go run my errand. so like 1hr later it starts raining like crazy and it doesnt click in my mind that my windows are open. so it rains in my car for 45minutes until one of my neighbors is leaving and notices it and tell s me. so i got a puddle of water on every seat of my coupe. my textbooks and soaked wet. i have water all over my dashboard, cd player, steering wheel, carpets, rearview mirror and everywhere you could imagine. can u plz tell me what i can do to totally recover from this, also my car stinks alot today. and yes i have leather seats.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:04 AM
This is rather unfortunate...I did this to my dad's car when I was young and I just remember some electrical things like windows didn't work anymore. My guess would be you'll have to buy new seats (water ruins leather) and I'm sure you will have a few things in your car that won't work as well as before (steering wheel controls, power seats, windows, etc.) As far as the smell, I would just say to buy an air freshener...my car smelled horrible after it got egged last year and gel air fresheners from yankee candle did the trick for me. GL

Matt

Old 05-18-2009, 11:56 AM
water ruins leather? i doubt they put corinthian leather in the G!! just get a wet vac to pull most of the water and let them air dry, sit on a towel if need be! if the windows went up after the rain then i wouldnt touch em for at least a week to make sure everythg dried out, some times u can get by if you let the water dry up

Old 05-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by OBG3506
water ruins leather? i doubt they put corinthian leather in the G!! just get a wet vac to pull most of the water and let them air dry, sit on a towel if need be! if the windows went up after the rain then i wouldnt touch em for at least a week to make sure everythg dried out, some times u can get by if you let the water dry up
I wish vacuuming up water could cure his problems. It isn't just a little rain, it's "puddles" according to him. His seats will still "work" but they will absolutely look and smell different. I would buy new ones.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:35 PM
well first off try and soak up any of that water. then i would turn on your car and run your heater on blast and leave it on roll your windows up and leave it running for like an hour or untill everything drys up. that would be your best bet.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:07 PM
racing seats :P

Old 05-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Just vacuum most of the water, shampoo the carpets clean all the seats, vacuum it all out and then air it out.

Or just pay someone 100-200 to do it.

Trending Topics

Old 05-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Its supposed to be nice for the next few days just leave your car open where possible and let it air out. Remove the plastic lining by the door and get under the carpet make sure you check the dip by the door theres Styrofoam there and it'll be soaked take it out and get the water that's pooled. You may want to take your seats out too and just get all that water out from under the carpet and you should be fine, good luck with your seats though hopefully they wont be damaged

Old 05-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Buy a dehumidifier. Stand it up some how either on the front seats or the back seat. This might be something you'll need to do all day (while checking the internal bucket and dumping it), or for a few days.

This has worked successfully for a friend's flooded car, and my moms car which suffered the same problem, except it was ALL DAY.

My mom's car doesn't smell. The longer you let the water sit in the car, the worse it's going to smell. Try to get a dehumidifier ASAP.

Last edited by cruzmisl; 05-19-2009 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 05-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
No need for that honestly. Just open the 2 doors. LOL

Just shampoo the carpets.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by vipers
I wish vacuuming up water could cure his problems. It isn't just a little rain, it's "puddles" according to him. His seats will still "work" but they will absolutely look and smell different. I would buy new ones.
Buy new seats? Are you serious? That's one of the more ridiculous suggestions that I've heard on this forum in a while. Do you have any idea how much new seats for our cars cost?.. They're like $1300 each or more at a dealership.

The seats will be perfectly fine once they dry up. If anything, he might want to try to take the leather covers off and dry out the padding underneath.

The carpet is the real problem because wet carpets stink. You will probably want to temporarily remove your seats, and pull up the carpet and completely wash it with some cleaner and dry it out then reinstall it. I don't think our cars have any padding under the carpet, but if it does, replace that layer when reinstalling.

If the car hasn't gotten a chance to get moldy yet, you might even be able to get away with just going to town on your carpets with a blow-dryer for a long time until it dries up. It's crucial to act fast though... if the water has been in the car for a while, you're already too late and mold may have started to grow... meaning you will have to remove the carpets and clean them as I mentioned above.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:40 AM
Nab
i had a similar unfortunate event happen to me the other day. i left my passenger side window open while i spent the night elsewhere. when i got off the train back home in the morning, my car was completely soaked. when i got home later i opened my windows and sunroof and tried to air it out. a day and a half later i found mold on the passenger seat and started looking what to do about leather seat with mold in the cushions. to tell you the truth, if the only way to revive the factory seat is to reupholster, then id rather go with two new racing seat. they wernt going to be a near future purchase, but i gotta do what i gotta do sometimes. and a new factory seat will run you $1300ish as partyman66 said. racing seats will only set me back a few hundred. not the worst. anyone have a good mold remedy? or am i up **** creek?