Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
g35 wont start. it wont even click

ok guys..

heres what happened..

pretty much out of the blue my car doesnt start any more

i have a 03 coupe

it has 60k miles on it and just went into service.

couple of days ago. it use to just click click click fast and then would eventually start.

now. it wont even make those clicking sounds nor will it start.

if im guessing right, its my starter.

my battery is like 4 months old. and the car is completely stock. no amps no subs. etc..

alternator? starter?

need advise soon! need it for work!

Old 05-26-2009, 09:07 PM
I'd guess battery based on the fact that it worked recently but was hesitating. All the cars I've had I've never had to replace an alternator or starter, it's always been the battery. Have you tried jumping it or charging the battery? Removing it and taking it to Advance Auto or similar for a test?

Old 05-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Sounds like a battery. Can you jump it and then drive it? or does it not move period?

Old 05-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
if your battery is almost new, then your alternator is not charging your battery. my guess is, you need a new alternator. get a voltmeter and check your battery while your car is running. if you're reading less than 14 volts you'll need to replace the alternator.

Last edited by speedracerg35; 05-26-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Also all my gauge and my headlights turn on with no problem and does not dim. Also, my mechanic said that when you don't hear the clicking sound and try to start it, it means that the starter is stuck and that its not working properly. Any input on this?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:56 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Make sure your battery terminals are clean and the connections are tight and solid.

It's probably the starter solenoid though. You can try taking a piece of 2x4 and putting it on the starter and giving the far end of the 2x4 a solid rap with a mallet or hammer and then try to start it again. If it doesn't work at first, try it a few more times. This is an old trick that people have been doing for a long time to temporarily unstick a sticking starter solenoid. If this is the problem, you'll need to replace the starter soon or at least rebuild it. Don't rely on this trick getting you out of too many jams though, because it will eventually leave you stranded in a parking lot somewhere.

When you go to turn the key to start the car, do all of your cars internal electrical gauges and stuff act normal.. or do they all completely die and then slowly start to turn back on? If they do this, the problem is low voltage from the battery or a poor connection at the terminals most likely.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by partyman66
Make sure your battery terminals are clean and the connections are tight and solid.

It's probably the starter solenoid though. You can try taking a piece of 2x4 and putting it on the starter and giving the far end of the 2x4 a solid rap with a mallet or hammer and then try to start it again. If it doesn't work at first, try it a few more times. This is an old trick that people have been doing for a long time to temporarily unstick a sticking starter solenoid. If this is the problem, you'll need to replace the starter soon or at least rebuild it. Don't rely on this trick getting you out of too many jams though, because it will eventually leave you stranded in a parking lot somewhere.

When you go to turn the key to start the car, do all of your cars internal electrical gauges and stuff act normal.. or do they all completely die and then slowly start to turn back on? If they do this, the problem is low voltage from the battery or a poor connection at the terminals most likely.
I second this. Beating da crap out of the starter may actually get the car to start.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:09 AM
my car internals work completely fine, lights turn on everything normally

where would the starter be at? im trying to look for it but i cant find it.. anyone direct me to where is it at on the motor?

Old 05-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by potmilkz

where would the starter be at? im trying to look for it but i cant find it.. anyone direct me to where is it at on the motor?
I dont know exactly but i think its near the alternator

Old 05-27-2009, 12:12 AM
any one else? a picture or a brief description of where it could be.. i know how it looks like.. driver die rear engine? passanger side front of engine? etc?

Old 05-27-2009, 12:16 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz

You've got to get at it from underneath the car. Remove the engine undercover and look up while laying under the motor and you should see it. It should be easy to identify due to the wiring harness coming from it, and there not being anything else under there that really looks like it.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:39 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The starter is not near the alternator. The starter is underneath the car adjacent to the transmission. The starter gear when engaged connects to the teeth on the flywheel and cranks your engine.

With my experience, a stuck starter does not cause your car battery to die. It forces you to tap it to free it up to get the engine started but that's it.

+1 on checking your battery with a voltmeter. I've never seen a Nissan vehicle put out 14 volts but that is my experience with a sentra, 300zx, and g35. If I remember correctly, they should pump out 12 or 13 volts. I haven't checked the alternator output on my g37 so I can't comment to that.

Last edited by tonke73; 05-27-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:07 AM
it could be a damaged or dead volt regulator to the alternator. because i had the same issue.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 PM
well i have decided to let a professional do it..

labor is only $65.00 so yea..

im also buying a rebuilt starter. weighed my choices between a new starter which is 280+ and a rebuilt is just as good for $85.00

and with 1 year warrant for the rebuilt.

im 90% sure its the starter.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you checked your alternator with a voltmeter? That will instantly rule out your alternator.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: g35 wont start. it wont even click