G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

***An Update For All You Who Want Roof Racks For Your Coupe***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
***An Update For All You Who Want Roof Racks For Your Coupe***

I've been trying to get a roof rack for my coupe since I got it, I e-mailed Yakima today and got a pretty helpful response, and I assume this also goes for Thule. So, without further delay, here is the "final" conclusion for us coupe owners who want roof racks.

"We apologize, but we don't have a rack fit for your vehicle. Our Fit Technicians have scratched their heads over this and they don't easily admit defeat, but unfortunately, your car is 'unYakable'."

Sorry it wasn't good news, but better than hoping for something to come out that probably will not. DAMNIT!

-Rob

Old 06-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Rob....and we wanted one why?
Gary

Old 06-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
What are you planning on mounting on the roof? Aren't a set of ski's supposed to be able to fit inside the trunk if you run them through the armrest opening in the back seat area?

Old 06-27-2009, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Gary
Well, seeing that I use the search function both when I am researching for parts for my G35 (and my other vehicles) and before posting, some people actually do want them. Sorry that not everyone has the same tastes as you or want to drive a G35 coupe and still need functionality out of a rack system but absolutely despise trunk/hitch racks. Seriously, would you rather see a nice car rolling down the street with a nice, clean, top of the line roof rack? Or with a trunk/hitch rack in the rear? In my honest opinion, I'll take the roof rack any day of the week. Learn how to create a signature, Gary, save you some time between posts with the whole bold, italic, blue thing you have going on. I may be a noob on here, but not a noob to the world of forums.

Originally Posted by partyman66
What are you planning on mounting on the roof? Aren't a set of ski's supposed to be able to fit inside the trunk if you run them through the armrest opening in the back seat area?
I want a roof rack for three reasons. One, I snowboard in the winter so it would be nice to have, although I also have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a set of Yakima Powder Hounds, so driving the G35 up to the mountains will be few and far between. Two, I would like to be able to start taking my bike to work with me since I am thirty minutes away from home, my lunch breaks are quite dull, so I would like to be able to ride around and atleast be doing something. Three, I personally love roof racks, have/had them on four of my ten cars, it is a personal choice. But honestly, when my car is done, the roof rack will only enhance the vehicles look, just in a more unconventional way. Believe me, once I figure out a way to make this work, I can almost guarantee someone who hated the idea of roof racks on a G35 coupe will think it looks good.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've actually contemplated this idea, but I find it to be more of a Sedan accessory since I would find it more practical on that vehicle. I like you're idea though, keep us updated. I'd like to see it when and if you get it completed. If not, a Audi RS4 wagon would be beautiful with a roof rack.

Old 06-27-2009, 07:11 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Gary
To carry more stuff on trips.....sorry, stating the obvious to most.

We have a Thule box that we put on our Yakima rack system on the G Sedan.
If we could put the box on a G Coupe, we MIGHT consider trading the Sedan for a G37 Coupe. Wife REALLY wants one.
But, we've had two coupes before and didn't last long.
But, the kids are all now driving their own cars.....
We'll see.....
Yes, the rack would help.

Old 06-27-2009, 08:44 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I cant wait to see what you can make from this.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Saw a bike rack on a G coupe at the lake, tolerable. Roof racks, I really don't think so. I can't hardly fit anything in my coupes trunk. If I need the room, I just take my Max.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:26 AM
GreenGoblin, yeah, once I figure something out I will post some pictures. Once I get some coilovers and some wheels, the rack will just set the car off, at least the way I want to put the G35 together.

2K6G35c, aAs stated, I also have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee to haul things and for the snow, but again, it is a personal preference of appearance and I want to be able to carry a bike daily without having a stupid bar hanging off the trunk. It isn't a matter of me needing to do this, it is a want.

The following users liked this post:
G'dUpFrmFeetUp (07-06-2012)
Old 06-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
compuvision02, I see what you mean, it's just that a bike rack in the back can be taken off when not in use. However, a roof rack is more of a permanent thing once installed, and one rarely,(if ever at all), seen on a sports coupe. But, if it's a matter of personal taste and want, knock yourself out. This forum has changed a lot since our economy took a downturn last year, we used to spend lots of $$$$ on improving the looks of our cars. Oh, well.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:46 PM
I looked into this thoroughly last year. Yakima, Thule, Saris, Inno, etc... all offer nothing for us. So....

https://g35driver.com/forums/sports/...ack-coupe.html

Old 06-29-2009, 07:38 AM
Believe me, when you guys see the rack on the G35 setup the way I want, you will probably change your mind on roof racks. People are just knocking it down, because they have yet to see it on there. In all honesty, I've seen a lot of G35's on here that I would never drive do to poor modifications and I know a ton of people who wouldn't consider a G35 a good vehicle to own, but to each their own. I'll do mine, you do yours. If you want to see any of my cars I own/owned, you will see that I know how to modify a car right.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:28 AM
Originally Posted by compuvision02
I've been trying to get a roof rack for my coupe since I got it, I e-mailed Yakima today and got a pretty helpful response, and I assume this also goes for Thule. So, without further delay, here is the "final" conclusion for us coupe owners who want roof racks.

"We apologize, but we don't have a rack fit for your vehicle. Our Fit Technicians have scratched their heads over this and they don't easily admit defeat, but unfortunately, your car is 'unYakable'."

Sorry it wasn't good news, but better than hoping for something to come out that probably will not. DAMNIT!

-Rob
For a snowboard you could just use soft racks. It's what I use for my surf board.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:29 AM
Though I'm looking at mounting some racks too. Needs to bolt onto the rails. So will need a little customisation. But the rails at least are replaceable if you need to return to stock.

Old 12-18-2016, 07:19 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Not sure why you're giving advice to a long gone member and a 7 year old thread but hey, glad you can use the search function..........

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ***An Update For All You Who Want Roof Racks For Your Coupe***