G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

***An Update For All You Who Want Roof Racks For Your Coupe***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 08:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yakima Q towers with Q46 clips. Ive got them on my 03 coupe. Strap my 9'6 longboard to the roof no problem.

Although anything over 70mph I feel like I am on the verge of taking flight with that giant wing on my roof (joking)

Old 02-13-2022, 08:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35 Coupe 5AT
Just wanted to revive this thread and see if anyone has any solution for roof racks for a g35 coupe from a brand that is still producing them currently in 2022. I need to carry a 10ft longboard surfboard , so i am considering a rack that has one bar on the roof towards the back of the front window and one rack on the back of the trunk like the picture below . I haven't seen a picture of someone with a g35 coupe applying the same strategy. The framless windows on the 07 g35 coupe that i have make me wonder if a rack could work at all on the part of the roof where the door window would contact it, since the window auto rolls up snug when the door is closed.

Old 03-11-2022, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35, Auto, Base
Originally Posted by compuvision02
I've been trying to get a roof rack for my coupe since I got it, I e-mailed Yakima today and got a pretty helpful response, and I assume this also goes for Thule. So, without further delay, here is the "final" conclusion for us coupe owners who want roof racks. "We apologize, but we don't have a rack fit for your vehicle. Our Fit Technicians have scratched their heads over this and they don't easily admit defeat, but unfortunately, your car is 'unYakable'." Sorry it wasn't good news, but better than hoping for something to come out that probably will not. DAMNIT! -Rob
Saris racks.

Old 03-11-2022, 08:22 PM
G35 Coupe 5AT
Sea sucker racks working great

Sea sucker racks were the only thing that I found to work , they may **** yo the paint in your roof over time , but I'm not worried about that

Old 03-12-2022, 08:54 PM
Received 350 Likes on 301 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Originally Posted by GGGman
Sea sucker racks were the only thing that I found to work , they may **** yo the paint in your roof over time , but I'm not worried about that
I've been eyeing the SeaSuckers. You have them on the roof. Have you used them toward the rear? I'd be hauling bikes and would like to get them a little lower. If the front suckers were above the rear window, would the rears work on the trunk? I've seen them used on rear glass, but that makes me nervous about rear window adhesion. Don't know if there are clips to mechanically hold the glass or if it's all sealant.

Old 03-12-2022, 10:27 PM
G35 Coupe 5AT
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
I've been eyeing the SeaSuckers. You have them on the roof. Have you used them toward the rear? I'd be hauling bikes and would like to get them a little lower. If the front suckers were above the rear window, would the rears work on the trunk? I've seen them used on rear glass, but that makes me nervous about rear window adhesion. Don't know if there are clips to mechanically hold the glass or if it's all sealant.
I was skeptical too but they've been working great , I've driven 80 on the highway with a 9ft surfboard for an hour and a half and they didn't loose any suction. Any flat smooth surface works , but windows are the absolute best suction . They are slightly leaving marks that look like water marks only my paint , but my paints not great anyway and it's only on the roof . The only downside is you're not supposed to leave them on the car long term because the rubber could dry out, but they sell replacement cups if that ever happened . You're supposed to be able to leave them on for a few days though if you need to. All you have to do is double check the suction indicator and make sure it's still fully has suction .I haven't heard of anyone having issues with window loosing adhesion from them , it would probably take an absurd amount of pressure to pull a window off

Old 03-13-2022, 01:23 PM
Received 350 Likes on 301 Posts
Coupe, Premium package, sport suspension
Thanks for the details. I would be only leaving them on the day I'd be using them, then storing them. The fact that the sunroof glass is known to have issues with just suddenly flying off while driving gives a little pause, but I agree the rear window is a whole different animal. I'd definitely not attach them to the sunroof. They say push them as far to the outside roof edges as you can for stability....

This is kind of the arrangement I had in mind. Just found this image on their website. This is the Talon; I'd be looking at the Mini Bomber. Looks like you have the Monkey Bars?

Attached Thumbnails ***An Update For All You Who Want Roof Racks For Your Coupe***-challengertalontrunkopensideview.png  
Old 03-13-2022, 02:05 PM
G35 Coupe 5AT
Originally Posted by G2B35AGN
Thanks for the details. I would be only leaving them on the day I'd be using them, then storing them. The fact that the sunroof glass is known to have issues with just suddenly flying off while driving gives a little pause, but I agree the rear window is a whole different animal. I'd definitely not attach them to the sunroof. They say push them as far to the outside roof edges as you can for stability....

This is kind of the arrangement I had in mind. Just found this image on their website. This is the Talon; I'd be looking at the Mini Bomber. Looks like you have the Monkey Bars?
ya I got the monkey bars because they have more height , so that I can position them on either side of the top of the roof because the roof is a dome shape . Also I may use them for a cargo box as well , possibly while also carrying surfboards . They can carry serious weight , daily driven exotics on YouTube drove 180mph and the roof rack stayed on but the cargo box ripped itself apart first. This is my setup . You honestly can probably do whatever setup you want to so , that's a good point about he sunroof though . I didn't realize how sensitive they were