G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Buyers Remorse. Trading in 2mo old Sedan For Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buyers Remorse. Trading in 2mo old Sedan For Coupe

That's it. I had decided that I'm just gonna trade in my 2 month old sedan for a coupe. Please let me know if I'm just being extremely impulsive.

I came from driving a regular Mazda to the G37 sedan. When I was car shopping I had my mind on a nice looking and quick sedan. I'm 25 and thought that I wanted something on the classier side so I looked at a 328i and G37 sedan. Ended up getting a blue slate G37 sedan, non-sport. I had never had a powerful car before so I completely fell in love with the performance of the G37. I find myself eventually driving it harder after the break-in period and started to enjoy the sportiness of it even more.

Before the purchase I had wanted something more practical and classy, but now I am leaning more towards the performance side of the vehicle. Whenever I walk outside and see my sedan, it just doesn't have the sporty look that I now want. I spend alot of time researching on new rims, tires, brakes, suspensions, body parts, etc. Then I drove side by side next to a black coupe today and it got me thinking that maybe I should just trade my sedan in for a coupe. If I'm going to be spending an extra 4k on making my sedan look sportier, I might as well just get a coupe. I get the 19" oem rims that I LOVE, the sportier suspension, bigger brakes, much sexier exterior, and another big plus would be the 6mt instead of 7at currently on my sedan.

I don't know how much extra I will have to fork out trading in a now depreciated car for a more expensive coupe. I feel silly for feeling this big buyers remorse. Quite honestly I had no idea what I wanted when I walked into the dealerships as I was never much of a car enthusiast until I started driving this car and now I'm hooked. Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:54 PM
You just have to remember that every day you will have to go outside and see the sedan, and if it isn't something that you are absolutely crazy about I would not put money into it. You can upgrade everything that you want but you will never feel satisfied if a coupe is what you truly want. Just weigh out your priorities, if money is not a problem than go for it. Do what makes you happy! =)

Old 07-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
If you can afford it, then do it, but it's gonna cost you plenty to switch, probably more than $4000. You'll take a big hit on the trade-in and the Coupe costs more. Financially it's a terrible idea.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:03 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Sedans FTW!!!!!!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 01:06 PM
More than $4000 is not a big problem considering I was going to be $3k on mods anyway on the sedan. Then again, I'll probably end up getting new rims for the coupe also. Sigh the things this car calls for.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:31 PM
You are going to take a hit if you trade it in.
But hey if you have money to spend and the coupe is what you really want then go for it.
Have you test drive the coupe as yet?

Old 07-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
If you get the coupe, eventually you will want the sedan again.

I wish I had both. I love the sedans. Put a nice set of rims on them and you are set.

I'll bet you a dollar that it will cost you way more than 4000$--maybe closer to 10k overall. The dealer will salivate when he hears what you want to do. At least find a salesman that you like so all this commission goes to a decent person.

Old 07-04-2009, 05:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
When the g coupe came out. I lusted heavily after it. I had bought my 2K SE Max, only two years ago. I put down an average down-payment and but would have still been upside down some. Paid off my Max several years ago and decided to to take the plunge with a coupe. Even though I paid a premium I bought exactly what I wanted, and I'm glad as can be. I don't regret waiting for the car a bit but, trading in a new car can be a very big hit that once tacked on to the a new car's note. You might want to look at the g37 forums and see what the car can do when modded. F.I. exhaust, cats, Stillen intake and some wheels from 360forged.com would be way less than trading it in. I'm definitely geeting a G sedan as soon as the Max conks out, l love it.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're gonna be upside down for a bit, unless you've got the down payment to make up for it. As was said earlier, its a HORRIBLE idea financially unless you are rolling like that, but if you can afford it then I would definitely do it. It would suck to be driving around a car that you didnt like.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Stick with the Sedan. I'm 25 as well, but i drive a coupe - a g35 coupe. You on the other hand have a g37 sedan. Your car is lighter, your engine is bigger, you have more potential to go faster. Stick with the sedan, honestly i think they look pretty damn good as well. I dont think from a financial standpoint that spending $4k+ to switch over is a good investment, cars in general are horrible investments and losing money when you could be putting it back into the car to make it look nicer and go faster. Hell for the amount you are going to pay for the switch, you could boost your sedan!

Just take this purchase as a learning experience, you wouldnt have bought the sedan if you really didnt like it. Just use the car for a few years, deck it out with whatever bells and whistles you like and then in 3-4 years, sell it and buy then next car of your liking. Best of luck.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Alright as much as I want the coupe. I think I'm just gonna get some 20's, drop my sedan, and call it a day. I figured I will have to shell out at least an extra $7k to switch to the coupe and quite honestly there are other things I want to get with that money. I'll pay the sedan off in 3 years and then maybe trade it in for a 335. But if you guys continue to convince me to switch to the coupe I still might take the plunge

Old 07-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by herbiehancock00
Alright as much as I want the coupe. I think I'm just gonna get some 20's, drop my sedan, and call it a day. I figured I will have to shell out at least an extra $7k to switch to the coupe and quite honestly there are other things I want to get with that money. I'll pay the sedan off in 3 years and then maybe trade it in for a 335. But if you guys continue to convince me to switch to the coupe I still might take the plunge
Excellent choice. I've read that BMW will have a 3 series replacement that will be more than worth the coin. Plus, you'll have a sweet sedan in the driveway to use as a DD.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:07 AM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Coupes portrait a certain image that you just can't get from a sedan. Would I love to have an M5, sure but non-enthusiasts are always going to look at that car as just another BMW because it's a sedan. If the G coupe is catching your eye now, you're NEVER going to stop thinking about it. G35/37 coupes are ridiculously attractive and sound surprisingly exotic, especially when compared to the sedan exhaust which does not have the unique ring to it. Have you driven a coupe with the windows down? Believe me, major selling point. It's not the loudness, it's the sound....PURE BLISS! There are coupes for sale with only 10k miles on the clock and you'll be much more satisfied with the money factor along with driving what you want. If you're bent on buying new, I would still do it because you'll NEVER EVER STOP THINKING ABOUT THE COUPE. They're totally impractical, more expensive and who cares because they're just so unexplainably perfect.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:20 AM
Here's what I'm thinking- Trade in your sedan for an 07 coupe with as low miles as you can find. There are still quite a few I have seen with less than 20k miles. Yes it won't be brand new, but you also won't be taking such a huge hit to the wallet, and you will have a beautiful almost new coupe. Good luck!

Old 07-05-2009, 02:33 AM
Get the car you want... Thats why i waited almost three years before i bought my coupe. I didnt want to regret it. And everyday i am reminded of that choice. :-)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buyers Remorse. Trading in 2mo old Sedan For Coupe