G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need help deciding what year G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what about the 05's

also only the 05-07's 6mt was rated at 298hp and 7k rev limit, the auto was stuck with the 280hp motor and 66k limiter

also I heard from a friend that the 04 6mt had tranny problems but there was a recall so it should not be problem if the prev owner had it fixed

I do not have a g35 yet but wanted a 03 due to the price but for about 2k more I have been finding 05's still under factory warranty and will most likely take that path less I find a 06 for a good price

Old 08-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by t6378tp
what about the 05's

also only the 05-07's 6mt was rated at 298hp and 7k rev limit, the auto was stuck with the 280hp motor and 66k limiter

also I heard from a friend that the 04 6mt had tranny problems but there was a recall so it should not be problem if the prev owner had it fixed

I do not have a g35 yet but wanted a 03 due to the price but for about 2k more I have been finding 05's still under factory warranty and will most likely take that path less I find a 06 for a good price
If you can afford it, definitely get an 05+. And don't worry about the HP ratings, being "stuck" with 280 HP versus 298 is not a very big deal. The 5AT has more torque (270 vs. 260), so you're talking very small differences in performance. And the big issue with the 6MT isn't the quality of the transmission (although the 5AT quality is better), it's that the rev-up engines have potential oil consumption issues that can either lead to a new engine or a massive headache (read G356MTB's thread on his problems).

Old 08-01-2009, 01:05 AM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
these guys know not of what they speak. What you really want is an '04 coupe, possibly in the Twilight Blue color in a 6MT so that you get the Brembo option on it. Of course, I may be a bit biased.

Don't worry about horsepower. Regardless of coupe or sedan or year, by the time this site is done with you, you'll have modded yourself silly.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow you guys know your G's well good to hear; i'm starting to lean towards the 05-07 myself. i know they guzzle fuel but i'm still keeping the gas saving 4banger; i drive a V8 on the weekends so a V6 is welcomed. I just want a safe but strong car to have fun in; i'm not to "****" bout having the kids get the car dirty... i'm still a kid @ heart & want the cool ride!

Old 08-01-2009, 01:28 AM
BTW thanks "2K6G35c" & "Ditchdrinker" for the 411!!! I went looking for a "G" today; came up on a 04 for $15's.. but it's not the color i want; i want a white one...

Old 08-01-2009, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by lowrod23
wow you guys know your G's well good to hear; i'm starting to lean towards the 05-07 myself. i know they guzzle fuel but i'm still keeping the gas saving 4banger; i drive a V8 on the weekends so a V6 is welcomed. I just want a safe but strong car to have fun in; i'm not to "****" bout having the kids get the car dirty... i'm still a kid @ heart & want the cool ride!
im young as hck and i'm still **** about my car o.O
**** and proud?

Old 08-01-2009, 01:50 AM
i'm easy going; but if someone gets my ride dirty... all hells gonna break loose!!! just depends... i'm learning alot about the G on this site; i just watched a youtube video on the spark plugs... kinda worried about the "oil pooling"...

Old 08-01-2009, 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by lowrod23
i'm easy going; but if someone gets my ride dirty... all hells gonna break loose!!! just depends... i'm learning alot about the G on this site; i just watched a youtube video on the spark plugs... kinda worried about the "oil pooling"...
the g35 isn't a "perfect 100% reliable" vehicle, but its also not some audi.

don't worry too much, most of the stuff you read on the g35 forums are BAD STUFF like for example, oil consumption. people that have problems come to this site asking for advice or vent when something is wrong.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:22 AM
yea i caught on within an hour of being on the site, no matter what i'm getting me a G soon!!

Old 08-01-2009, 04:14 AM
g35 '05 or up is better.....Even the interior is better

Old 08-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
03-04 No engine problems and have options to get brembos. Well known for window motors, bose stereo, and hood hinges all crapping out. Common rear axle clicking problem. Slightly less power.

05 Little extra horsepower. Gets an upgraded interior, nicer gage cluster (blue instead of amber). Loose the option to get brembos.

06 Finally get projector headlights, updated tail lights and bluetooth (kinda sucks). Also option to get Active Rear Steering, but is not very popular. Did add 19 inch wheels that are very popular. Very well know for oil consumption problem. Could be bad decision because warranty is ending very soon.

07 Added Intelligent Key entry system with push button start for automatics. Very nice to have. Also added dual throttle bodies.

08 Best change to date. Upgraded engine with more power. Much much nicer interior. Added the Akebono brakes (very nice). All cars have Intelligent Key (even 6MTs). Added back up cameras. Many other small changes that were very much needed like both sides have battery and fluid covers, hoods have shocks, bluetooth is much improved.

09 Added the Self Healing Paint, helps to remove minor scratches and swirls. Automatics get 7 speed transmission.

My choice would be to spend a little more to get an 08 G37, mainly just because of the interior. It is really nice.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:02 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
05 Little extra horsepower. Gets an upgraded interior, nicer gage cluster (blue instead of amber) [Still amber].. Loose the option to get brembos.

06 Finally get projector headlights, updated tail lights and bluetooth (kinda sucks). Also option to get Active Rear Steering, but is not very popular. Did add 19 inch wheels that are very popular. Very well know for oil consumption problem.(Only in 6MT) Could be bad decision because warranty is ending very soon.

07 Added Intelligent Key entry system with push button start for automatics.(I key available starting in 05) Very nice to have. Also added dual throttle bodies.

08 Best change to date. Upgraded engine with more power. Much much nicer interior. Added the Akebono brakes (very nice). All cars have Intelligent Key (even 6MTs). Added back up cameras. Many other small changes that were very much needed like both sides have battery and fluid covers, hoods have shocks, bluetooth is much improved.

09 Added the Self Healing Paint, helps to remove minor scratches and swirls. Automatics get 7 speed transmission.

My choice would be to spend a little more to get an 08 G37, mainly just because of the interior. It is really nice.

Made a couple of changes for you. Overall good info though. Even though the 05 doesn't have "push button" start, all you have to do to start the car with the I key is just turn the ignition like there was a key in it. One of my favorite things about my car.

I agree with everyone about 05 and up.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:01 AM
I ment push button start. I forgot about the 05-06 with the turn key thing

Old 08-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
If you can afford it, definitely get an 05+. And don't worry about the HP ratings, being "stuck" with 280 HP versus 298 is not a very big deal. The 5AT has more torque (270 vs. 260), so you're talking very small differences in performance. And the big issue with the 6MT isn't the quality of the transmission (although the 5AT quality is better), it's that the rev-up engines have potential oil consumption issues that can either lead to a new engine or a massive headache (read G356MTB's thread on his problems).
I wasn't worried by the hp rating but I would rather have the HR motor due to the better cooling, rod/head bolts and oil pump and just being a better platform from the factory

all vq35 have oil problems g35, 350z, maxima etc. some claim it's the rings other say it's the valve seats. From what I have seen the problem is hit or miss, I have a few friends that burn anywhere from 1-2qt a oil change to nothing.

I really just need to figure out if the 5AT will handle the beating or if I should just get a 6mt and upgrade the clutch when it goes

Old 08-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by t6378tp
I wasn't worried by the hp rating but I would rather have the HR motor due to the better cooling, rod/head bolts and oil pump and just being a better platform from the factory

all vq35 have oil problems g35, 350z, maxima etc. some claim it's the rings other say it's the valve seats. From what I have seen the problem is hit or miss, I have a few friends that burn anywhere from 1-2qt a oil change to nothing.

I really just need to figure out if the 5AT will handle the beating or if I should just get a 6mt and upgrade the clutch when it goes
The VQ37 have not reported a single oil problem yet.

No matter if you go 6mt or 5at, neither will handle serious beating. Both will have to be upgraded.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding what year G35