G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need help deciding what year G35

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do you mean serious beating? Is daily driving considered serious beating?

Old 08-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by t6378tp
all vq35 have oil problems g35, 350z, maxima etc. some claim it's the rings other say it's the valve seats.
This isn't accurate. There aren't any known oil consumption issues with the non-HR G35 engines, but there are well-known OC issues with the HR engine. Infiniti will replace the engine, but they aren't doing it on the 5AT's because it's not happening with them.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
You've turned hella gheyyy on us I see
Come on Blue bro, you know you love me.... come on.... say it.... you love it.... you LOVE IT! SAY IT!

lol

Old 08-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
G35 Coupe
03/04 are the best years, bc we dont got no rev uppin motors

Old 08-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 07 with 19's or nothing. early models with only the brembos as an incentive is a bad choice

Old 08-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
This isn't accurate. There aren't any known oil consumption issues with the non-HR G35 engines, but there are well-known OC issues with the HR engine. Infiniti will replace the engine, but they aren't doing it on the 5AT's because it's not happening with them.
there is a problem the 02-03 maxima have it and I have 2 friends with 350z have it also but like I said it's not every car

you have about a 50/50 shot why do you think n/a guys install catch cans and the problem is worst at high rpms/nitrous or boost

me personally my catch can would only get oil during nitrous passes and when shifting at 7000+ rpms, when driving like a normal person I have zero issues

Old 08-02-2009, 03:07 AM
there is a problem the 02-03 maxima have it and I have 2 friends with 350z have it also but like I said it's not every car

you have about a 50/50 shot why do you think n/a guys install catch cans and the problem is worst at high rpms/nitrous or boost

me personally my catch can would only get oil during nitrous passes and when shifting at 7000+ rpms, when driving like a normal person I have zero issues
As I said, on non-HR G35's. I wasn't talking about older Maximas or 350's or running nitrous or being boosted. Those are totally different situations from a stock or slightly modded G35 NA engine. And I'm sorry, but the chances of having the OC issue where your engine needs replaced is significantly less than 50/50, and almost non-existent on non-HR engines. The facts simply don't back up your claim.

Catch cans have nothing to do with the known OC issue on the HR engines. We're talking about a quart or more every 1000 miles or so with the OC issue. A catch can deals with a few ounces.

Old 08-02-2009, 05:52 AM
NVM
Great info in this thread - Thanks

Old 08-02-2009, 06:52 AM
Received 995 Likes on 727 Posts
05 really is the worst year you could get. They are well known for their OC problems and worst of all their warranty will be up this year.

Your best bet, if you dont have much money is go for a 03-04. If you can get a little more cash, get an 08. (Better engine, new warranty, much much nicer interior, biggest brakes, ect)

Old 08-02-2009, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.the hr engine is the newer model and not the one with consumption..it was originally in the 2007 sedan the the vq35de rev-up engine is the one that has consumption problems
2.I have an 05 with a rev up drive the snot out of it and do not consume a lot of oil so its not all of them.
3.if your going to correct someone make sure you know what you talking about.
4. OP, that being said if I had it to do all over I would get an 06+ check up on tsbs..like the squeeking seat, the annoying seat belt, the rattle in the back, the rattle in the front, most of those are for pre 06. and if your short on cash just be aware the cost to maintain the g35 is no joke.

Last edited by mconklin; 08-02-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:25 AM
As I said, on non-HR G35's. I wasn't talking about older Maximas or 350's or running nitrous or being boosted. Those are totally different situations from a stock or slightly modded G35 NA engine. And I'm sorry, but the chances of having the OC issue where your engine needs replaced is significantly less than 50/50, and almost non-existent on non-HR engines. The facts simply don't back up your claim.

Catch cans have nothing to do with the known OC issue on the HR engines. We're talking about a quart or more every 1000 miles or so with the OC issue. A catch can deals with a few ounces.
you have to talk about those cars cause they all use the same motor till and certain year. reving 7k+, nitrous, boost etc most be talked about also cause thats what I can alot of people do to their cars.

Also I am not going to go into detail about every car but I have a friend that burns about a 1qt every week but he can not get a new motor cause it's out of warranty and some that have zero issues

My statements are base from personal experience and not what I read online

Old 08-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by mconklin
1.the hr engine is the newer model and not the one with consumption..it was originally in the 2007 sedan the the vq35de rev-up engine is the one that has consumption problems
2.I have an 05 with a rev up drive the snot out of it and do not consume a lot of oil so its not all of them.
3.if your going to correct someone make sure you know what you talking about.
4. OP, that being said if I had it to do all over I would get an 06+ check up on tsbs..like the squeeking seat, the annoying seat belt, the rattle in the back, the rattle in the front, most of those are for pre 06. and if your short on cash just be aware the cost to maintain the g35 is no joke.
1. You're right, and my mind kept saying "no, it's the rev-up, not the HR", but I equated the two, and wrote HR. My mistake.
2. I agree, and have said so. It's about 1 in 3, enough that Infiniti recognizes it and is doing something fairly drastic to resolve it (I consider engine replacement pretty drastic). I was countering the claim that there was a 50/50 chance of getting it regardless of rev-up status, and this simply isn't true. The rev-ups might get it, but the problem is almost non-existent on non rev-ups.
3. See my #1.

And I agree about the 06+. Either get a higher mileage 04 or spend some money and get an 06+.

Peace.

Last edited by BuckeyeInMI; 08-02-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:00 AM
you have to talk about those cars cause they all use the same motor till and certain year. reving 7k+, nitrous, boost etc most be talked about also cause thats what I can alot of people do to their cars.
Actually, a very, very small percentage of people boost or NO their cars. Many people you know may do it, but that may be skewing your thoughts on this. The reason it's not relevant is because the OP never mentioned doing anything like this, and you're no longer talking about the stock engine. The discussion is about the stock engine.

My statements are base from personal experience and not what I read online
And I don't think that's helpful to the OP. You said there was a 50/50 chance of getting the OC issue, and that's just plain false. It happens on a somewhat large number of rev-up engines, maybe 1 out of 3, but is virtually non-existent on the non rev-up engines, and non rev-up engines make up a much larger percentage of what's out there. Your personal experience may differ from that, but that doesn't change what's happening to everyone else.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey lowrod23, I'm was in the same boat as you. I had a 07 Camry, nice car, but boring to drive. I'm also in my early 30's and still a kid at heart
I picked up a 6spd '07 last week. Just under $26k with 19k miles on it. I plan to keep the car for awhile and have started a savings account for modifications I was looking at 05-06 G's, which were in the $22k-$24k range so I get a headstart on my mods fund, but opted for a '07 with low miles to get a decent remaining factory warranty (oil issues got me nervous). I like the projector headlights and the LED tails. The center console is easier to remove/replace for an aftermarket stereo/in-dash navi.

That's my 2cents, best wishes on the search and purchase.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:05 PM
06 G coupe /thread.

projector lights, trunk button on tail light, sport bumper, Ray 19 rims, bluetooth, upgraded interior.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding what year G35