G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Handeling & VDC at the Limit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 06:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Handeling & VDC at the Limit

I have a question for you guys who have had the chance to really push the car or had track time......
I have not had the chance to really flog my coupe yet.
Let's say that you are driving with the VDC on, dry pavement...and come into an exit ramp loop too hot.....
How good (or bad) is the VDC? Is it easy to loose the car or will it pretty much get you out of trouble?
I have had track times in Porches and BMW's in the past...but they did not have the type of traction (VDC) sofistication.
I'm not talking about controlled power slides with VDC off.
Thanks for any insight.

"I like you.....You remind me of myself when I was young and foolish"

Old 07-28-2004, 09:15 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Handeling & VDC at the Limit

I've noticed a big difference using VDC when exiting the freeway into a loop. It helps a lot. Be careful you can still push the car too far.

Old 07-28-2004, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Friday day night, I was heading out to LI for a party. It was rainy and I never had any experience driving a RWD car out in the rain. The LIE was trafficky as usual and my friends and I were late. So they suggested the LIE service road. After a stop light, which I was first, I got up to speed at about 40mph, there was a guy on the right hand side passing me and a guy on my *** for some reason. Then after a blind turn, I catch a hold of a huge puddle run off. I couldn't do anything as I glanced at the mirrors so I decided to dive in. I tried to hold the wheel as straight as possible but when I got in, the car steering wheel jerked so I counter steered. The car ended up hydroplaning 10 degrees toward the barricade. I came as close as 4-5 ft away from the barricade. As the hydroplaning ended, VDC and LSD kicked in. The car bogged down like crazy, set me straight and off I went. My heart was pounding. Not even a month into ownership and here I am about to wreck it... blah...

'04 <font color=white>Ivory Pearl</font color=white> G35 coupe 6MT Fully Loaded /w Navigation
Brooklyn, NY

Old 07-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Please go take a safety driving class in local SCCA or BMWSCCA club. PLEASE~~~~ If you want to test out the car and learn how to handle a car at the limit, do it in a safe place. The class usually cost less than $100 and they spend a whole day teaching you how to save your butt in emergency situations, oversteer, undertseer, emergency braking, ABS....... Not to mention it's a fun class taught by veterens and you get plenty of seat time. It's not racing or tracking, just driving school so it won't affect your insurance or warranty.

Old 07-28-2004, 11:07 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Alright, now that I've done ranting......

With the VDC on, it is difficult to lose control of the car on dry pavement unless you are nuts and go into a hairpin at 80mph. No electric gizmo will save you if you overestimate the limits of your car and goes in way too hot. If you go in alittle too fast, VDC will correct the oversteer/understeer within reasonable limits.

Unless you have absolute confidence in your driving skills, I recommend leaving the VDC on at all times. Powerslides, drifts and donuts look fun on TV, but in real life, it's very dangerous and difficult to control. (good analogy would be kung fu movies.... don't try it at home) Now then, if you go into a freeway onramp and you are constantly setting off the VDC, then you are not driving correctly. (unless you know how to powerslide through the loop) Leave VDC on and drive slightly more aggressive, if the VDC goes on, you know you are not driving smoothly.

Old 07-29-2004, 07:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey....your point is valid.
But I have been to many driving schools and track days...just not in the G yet. I haven't had a chance to push it and actually see how the VDC performs....let alone turn it off and power slide!
Just wanted some input as to how it actually works in real life driving.
Thanks!

"I like you.....You remind me of myself when I was young and foolish"