G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Problems with window tint??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with window tint??

I live in California and am considering getting my windows tinted. As some may know, Cali has strict tint laws, basically the front windows cannot be tinted below 80%. I was wondering if those who live in cali with tinted windows experience any problems with the cops. What percent do you suggest for tinting? I am going with formula one tint, and considering 38% on the sides and 18% on the back. Thanx for the feedback in advance

Old 07-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Problems with window tint??

wow 80%! goddamn.... i was so happy to find out that the texas tint legal limit is now 25% all around.... it used to be 35% and my dad asked if i waas going illegal when i got tint and said no initially until he later changed his mind (i find it best if i dont argue... gives me a better chance of getting my way) but i was planning on doing 25% anyways....s o YEA for me.

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas

Old 07-29-2004, 03:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

o yeah i relaly cant comment on the cali thing except for the fact that that SUCKS. I have a bunch of friends with 5% or so all around and they dont get any trouble from cops around here.

2004 Black on Black g coupe 6spd.... aluminum pedals, clear corners, z tube, and pop charger. soon to have 19" volk gt-c's and PIAA xtreme whites in the clearance and corners
Houston Texas

Old 07-29-2004, 05:33 PM

Look in this thread here for pics of my car (also in California).

Also here for the unofficial California Tint Job Legality thread.

An exerpt is below:

There's been some confusion here lately about the legality of tint jobs in CA, so here's a thread with the code to spell out what the law says.

I have two friends that are both CA street police officers. They both state they only cite vehicles for tint violations if they are excessively dark (below 35-40%). They do say, however, colleagues of theirs routinely add on a tint violation citation if they notice it when they stop a vehicle for something else, regardless of how dark it is. Now, the entire CA vehicle code is online here if anyone wants to review it. It can get a bit confusing, but the information is there if are persistent.

What does the law say?

Well, the current code states that you can legally tint your front two windows in CA down to 88% transmittance:

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:
(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

Now, while technically a legal tint, 88%T is clear to the human eye. You can’t even notice tint jobs until they get close to 50% transmittance, so that level of tint is hereby thrown out for practical purposes. Unless you are concerned only with blocking UVA/B rays, 88%T does nothing for you.

Some people think a note from your optometrist (or ophthalmologist) saying you need the tint due to a sensitive eye condition gets you through a loophole. There is code regarding that too (see below), but standard tint jobs are clearly not covered by it. In a nutshell, you have to use those framed, suction-cup window shade devices so you can remove them at night, and even then, they need to transmit 35% or greater visible light:

CA Vehicle Code-
Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver's View-

26708. (a)
(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.

(b) This section does not apply to any of the following:
(4) Side windows which are to the rear of the driver.
(8) The rear window or windows, when the motor vehicle is equipped with outside mirrors on both the left- and right-hand sides of the vehicle that are so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

Sun screening devices permitted by paragraph (10) of subdivision (b) of Section 26708 shall meet the following requirements:
(a) The devices shall be held in place by means allowing ready removal from the window area, such as a frame, a rigid material with temporary fasteners, or a flexible roller shade.
(b) Devices utilizing transparent material shall be green, gray, or a neutral smoke in color and shall have a luminous transmittance of not less than 35 percent.

In conclusion, it seems any standard “tint job” in California breaks the law as stated. Anyone have any other data or code interpretations?

For how I did my car.

Black/Willow 03.5 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, SAT
350Z Nismo CAI

Old 07-29-2004, 05:42 PM
Team Transport Member

if you dont to get pulled dont tint other wise its on you dude i get pulled over at least once a month but that is cuz i have Limo all he way around and 50% on the front windshield you cant even seen in the car with a flash light P (peekaboo)

03 6MT Coupe Blk/Blk> Injen CAI, Hotchkis adj Sway Bars, Test Pipes< "Nt G R8D" Aj