G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

People with carbon fiber roof overlays

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Timothios
^I guess everybody here with an aftermarket bumper is rice. People actually buy things because they like how they look and they only way a pound or two. If you have a CF hood and trunk it really completes the look imo. You really need a cage with a carbon fiber roof so the weight savings are probably nill unless you need a cage anyways.
you're not getting my point. so are you saying that you would get a cover for your hood if it was made in carbon? since you like the look? imo, carbon fiber is used for weight savings but for some reason, it has become more popular for its look. i don't mind the little bits here and there for looks but for a roof cover that costs that much seems like a waste to me. i guess it's all based on my opinion. if the OP wants it, i'm not going to stop him. just advising that the money might be better spent elsewhere.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:12 AM
Originally Posted by Beebo
Dude if the M3's was a full carbon fiber roof... the car would need a cage... and it wouldn't even be street legal

The M3's roof is pretty much what this is but from the factory.
dude.
i'm pretty sure that the m3's carbon roof is not one layer of carbon. in fact, i'm positive it's multi-layers of carbon fiber. bmw DOES NOT just put a carbon cover over the regular metal roof. that would be pretty stupid and would not explain why its carbon roof would lower the center of gravity. who knows, maybe the roof has some structure to make it stronger than just the carbon by itself.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by kreestofur
i'm not going to stop him
I'm not a him

Old 09-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Originally Posted by emmas04
I'm not a him
my bad...
but you're really free to do whatever you want. everything i said is my opinion and in no way should it stop you from what you want. good luck on your mods.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:32 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Timothios
^I guess everybody here with an aftermarket bumper is rice. People actually buy things because they like how they look and they only way a pound or two. If you have a CF hood and trunk it really completes the look imo. You really need a cage with a carbon fiber roof so the weight savings are probably nill unless you need a cage anyways.
I think you're missing his point. Although I don't agree with it being rice, the way I see his comment is that adding modified parts, such as carbon parts, are supposed to decrease overall weight of the vehicle, where this adds to it.

I can't comment on aftermarket bumpers as I forgot how much they weight as opposed to stock, but his point is that the purpose of going with a carbon part is to reduce weight, not add it.

Not taking any sides here, because I think the carbon would look cool. It has a cosmetic purpose, but no functionality purpose. Many people that describe people are ricers are people that do modifications, mainly aero, that don't actually improve the aerodynamics of the car, rather, hinders it.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
most CF hoods for the G35 are the same or heavier than the OEM aluminum hood FWIW