G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 6MT vs 350Z Track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G35 6MT vs 350Z Track

Brembo Performance plus Leather styling is a sexy combination...People have complimented on how sporty our cars are while still maintaining plenty of luxury...Not to mention It may not mean much to some of you, because only one person briefly mentioned it in all these replies but the Z does NOT come with a sunroof...You can't get it from the factory...Personally if I'm not trying to have a full blown sports car then I need a sunroof...I was originally a Z lover and kind of downplayed the G's after test drives and comparisons of what each offers for the money...The G won hands down IMO...Thus I own a 6mt coupe..

Old 08-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is my take on it:

Both cars are awesome sport cars that are horribly overweight. For the same price, I'd rather have the luxury/styling/practicality/quality of Infiniti unless the Z car is at least 400-500lbs lighter than the G35C. As it stands, 150lbs is nothing compared to what the G35C has over the Z.

That being said....... both cars are still horribly overweight. With all that aluminum parts they brag about you'd think these cars can be less than 3000lbs.

Before anyone jumps in and say "hey, the RX-8 is very light" Oh please~ 230hp with no torque, the RX-8 is also ridiculously overweight.

Old 08-09-2004, 09:50 PM

I was putting emphasis on Bose and leather for the simple fact that there is a minute difference in performance. Since they are so close the G is the better choice as it has more class and comfort.

04 Coupe 6MT Laser/Graphite Premium No Aero

Old 08-10-2004, 09:44 AM

Thanks for the informative replies guys! I did not realize all the differences that you mentioned. I think I am leaning toward the G because of the luxary differences. I love performance though. So, that brings me to this question. What types of mods are available and how expensive are there to get performance equal to or better than a Z? I know I can look at some aftermarket suppliers and see what mods there are, but I would like to know the most effective mods for engine performance and handling, without voiding the manufacturers warranty.

Thanks!!
Adrian

Old 08-10-2004, 10:55 AM

You can go as fast as you Have money.
FI offers tons of options, I/H/E, bodykits are pretty light on the g however.
Regarding weight - these are production cars - something has to give. We've got a great chassis and engine.

i hardly consider A Z at 3200 Horribly overweight. Maybe you should tell nissan and toyota how to build their cars. The old Z was 3500+, the MKIV supra was 3500, The 90K NSX is 3000, most 996 porsche 911 are ~3100.

Similarly, 200lbs diff IMO is significant - those are all of your "extras" either you want the sunroof and the ~60lbs or you dont. It adds up. 200lbs means slower accel, more inertia to counteract with changing direction.
Everything has a cost.

No freebies.

Old 08-10-2004, 03:08 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I was putting emphasis on Bose and leather for the simple fact that there is a minute difference in performance. Since they are so close the G is the better choice as it has more class and comfort.

<hr></blockquote>

I'm sick of these stupidly biased G owner based post. I bet you bought your car recently because I remember myself justifying why in the world I had bought a G35 coupe when I had my mind set on the Track 350Z back when people were pre-ordering Z cars. Let's give the guy an honest opinion so he doesn't have to second guess.

Straight line wise, the Z and G are pretty similiar in performance. That is NOT the difference between the two cars. The difference is the 13" difference between length and the 8.5" of wheelbase between the 350Z and the G35 coupe. That and the 200 + lbs. No amount of modding can make the Gcoupe less of the beast of a GT that it is. THE WHEELBASE IS AS LONG AS A G35 SEDAN! Please keep this in mind as it affects how you drive, A LOT. It's the difference between making those tight turns in a Z and having to reverse a bit to avoid hitting the curb in a G. Also remember that the track Z's Rays Engineering wheels are forged aluminum meaning they are lighter than the OEM 18" Infiniti's. Less unsprung weight is your friend.

The pseudo-luxury G35 interior is by far nothing close to Lexus if this is what you are thinking. The front leather seats are VERY nicely scultped, almost everyone admits that. Most small people (under 6') fit snugly right into them, and the Infiniti emblem that is embroidered into the seat is frosting on the cake compared to the spartan 350Z seats. The rest of the G35 interior is just wanna-be luxury. I can find all these gaps in the plastic panels especially in my back seat. If you roll up all the windows and turn off your music, you will hear rattles EVERYWHERE (I think the Z has this problem too) so don't expect a REAL luxury car here. The aluminum center console is nice looking but the material is very fragile. The rest of the interior is nice looking but again it's of very cheap quality. I think best way to describe the G35 interior is pseudo-luxury. Infiniti has a long way to go to reach the benchmark of Lexus (I can't compare it much to Mercedes Benz or BMW because I haven't had much experience in them).

It's your pick between a sports car (350Z Track) and a performance GT (Gcoupe). I think I made the right choice for myself, as the sunroof, smoother styling, and LED tail lights did it for me. What I regret the most about not getting the track 350Z is : exclusivity that you will never get with the G, lap timer, shift light, tire pressure monitor, oil pressure, battery meter, lower and farther back seating, shorter wheelbase, minus 200 + lbs, projector Xenon lights, AND FINALLY only TWO SEATS because some of us don't want four.

Please don't fall into any of these very biased buy-the-G-since-it-has-more-options-included-with-near-similar-performance posts. I think that a few of us are trying to give you a really subjective view of the two cars for your own benefit. Just trying to save you the hit in the wallet if you decide down the line that you had bought the wrong car.

If I had to take it all back I would have taken the 2003 brand new black M3 on the BMW dealership next to Miller Infiniti in Van Nuys where I got my G. I thought I was buying something new, different with the G35 coupe but the cheap price brought out the non-enthusiast public on it very quick. It's now like the Japanese 3-series and I'm very disappointed. Should have just taken the M3 and owned a very cliche car that is put together much better inside and out.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 08-10-2004, 03:45 PM

the Z headlights are not projectors. THey are like a hybrid of projectors and reflectors hence why they use reflector hid bulbs. The Z's 18" ray rims can also be changed/swapped so that is not much of a thing to change ones mind on choosing the car. Overall, the reason i couldnt get a Z (my first choice) was the fact that it had 2 seats and maybe no sunroof. That was all!

The wheelbase and length of the G being too long and narrow does not really make a dramatic difference unless your auto-x'ing. Granted i wish i had a wider wheel base and shorter body at times but its all about comprimise. What i got in return is a smoother ride w/ above average handling that most cars.

Performance wise, i think they are bth the same with maybe the Z with a better edge. If you check out the Best Motoring Import videos you will see multiple race (track and handling) between the G and Z and nethier of them can pass each other. Its pratically the same!

Some will agrue that the Z has a better time in the 1/4 mi but i will have to ask you how many people do you know run their G in the 1/4mi vs the Z? The G was made for the older/matured audiences while the Z is more for the spirited drivers. I bet if more people ran the G the times will dramatically drop from the current average of what people got. IE: my very first time at the 1/4mi runs i managed to do 14.2 with intake,exhuast,cats. Imagine if i worked on it a few more times. I believe i can do a 14.0 flat. I am not a racer, i juwt spirit right every now and then and i manage to getg a decent time like that. But like i said, the 200lb lighter Z will typically get a faster time due to the weight advantage but not much.

I also agree with the the G being the new *** 3-series but that also shows how popular and bang for the buck it is. Lets put it this way, any sort of mass produced car is no longer a rarity in my eyes. Being that it is a M3 or a S class, i see them all the time too. You just see less S-class than G in a ratio of cars you see everyday but i see a lot of M3s where i live. PLease do not be dissapoited in the car you got just because a lot of other people got it. Do you wish you had a rx-8 because i one rx-8 every 2 weeks. Lets be smart, everyone buys the car because of its good reputation, not because of the rarity or one wants to stand out. If one wanted to stand out they would have gotten the M5 or a italian stallion.

Old 08-10-2004, 04:22 PM

It really depends the on the type of driving you do.
I chose the G35c over the 350Z because of it's luxurious presence yet it still presents it's masculinity as being a heavyweight powerhouse per the driving style into. I'm an avid road racer/autox'er. I've tested both the 350Z (Enthusiast Model) vs my G35c (Base). The 350Z corners better in tighter reducing radius turns. whereas the G35 will likely get loose on the back end, causing "drift". The G35's longer wheel base is advantageous in drifting. it's causes faster tail whips while doing "choku dori" and being much more stable on high speed drifts. where as the 350Z is likely to oversteer too quickly if you're too heavy footed, and due to the smaller wheelbase, it's easier to spin out. the tighter the radius, the easier it is to lose control. the G35 is much more forgiving. The 350Z would make a better car for gripping, the G35...a better car for drifting. it's weight carries enough momentum to pull off drifts at high speeds. though to better enhance it, you'd have to lower the stance a bit. the stock suspension handles well...but could be better. Some TEIN's dampers should do the job. Brakes could use some help with an adjustable proportioner to bias the brakes to the front on either cars. Both cars are great, they are both at similar prices just over $29k. I've raced against the 350Z on the circuit, and it's pretty close, near tie. the only advantage the 350Z had over me was it could brake a bit later, whereas I had more momentum to stop. which caused the 350Z to have faster entry and exit speeds. whereas I had better control in large radius sweeper where I regain myself. Both cars are fun cars. If I had my way...I would have both but my wallet wouldnt be able to handle it.

| Hawaii International Race School | Formula Hawaii | Drift Session | Mid Pac Road Racing Association |

Old 08-10-2004, 06:50 PM

I would like to commend you guys with keeping the discussion relevant and being objective. most fan sites are full of guys who feel that their car is the best/greatest at everything.

Some of you G owners love your cars - but are still objective and realistic. To you - I say kudos.

I've newfound respect for you G'ers. I must admit that my impression of this site is usually represented by the *** who feels that his car is better b/c of how many buttons are on the dash.

I wonder how comapanies pay quailty construction - is it the design? the manufacturing, quality control?

I ask this b/c my FX and the Q/M45 i test drove *had* lexus/mb level quality. Back in the I30 days it was easy to use the maxima clone excuse. However, the upcoming M, and the FX are all built on the FM platform. I dunno, something I've always wondered.

Old 08-10-2004, 08:38 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

qirex37 you are very right, and not to get off topic right now becasue i put in what i had to say already =) But that's why i love this forum, mostly every other forum i go to its like they are brainwashed into their car is the best, fastest and they are so narrow minded when it comes to other cars especially cars that get brought up and know that are faster or nicer that are in the same class lol, all of you guys are car enthusiasts like myself and open minded to everything, props to every 1 also!!
Anyway, to the final decision, which are you thinking about going for? It it was up to me, and my needs, i would def. take the track Z or just modify the suspension and make it just as sporty as the Z because of the G35's beautifull and unique look!! Good luck with your decision, Martin.

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 08-10-2004, 11:20 PM

Ummm I think the dude just wanted opinions and that is what I gave him. I am by no means G biased and I drove both cars before I made my decision. I love how people get their panties all in a bunch on the internet. I love my G but it isn't the best car out there like some people think. I would rather have a 96 through 99 911 C4S or Turbo or a Ferrari 360 Challenge Stradale but I bought what I thought was the best car(performance and overall quality+features) for the money I had. I gave the guy my opinion so he can make a decision. Now leave me alone so I can make some more money for my 911!

04 Coupe 6MT Laser/Graphite Premium No Aero

Old 08-11-2004, 02:45 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts

qirex37,

2004 350Z's that factually have the revised suspension have softer shocks and alledgedly slightly stiffer springs. Otherwise the spring rates on the G35 coupe, G35 sedan with sport and the un revised 350Z are the same. 314/342. The Z differs with much stiffer shock valving (less so as mentioned above). Sway bars are the same between them all.

Frankly this whole discussion here has too many wrapped up in their love of their car and the love of test numbers, only a few people don't have their judgement clouded. I would place my pink slip on which car would lap Willow Springs faster. But with emotion's ruling, I just don't care to prove why.

"All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing.”
Edmund Burke

G35 6mt

Old 08-11-2004, 03:10 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think between the two, the 350Z will perform better, even though the tires and long wheel base on the G35C gives it an advantage in grip. The turn in response and crispness is undeniably better in the 350Z versus the G35C. The extra 150lb can also be felt when braking and turning into a corner. IMHO I can't tell the difference in acceleration even though the Z motor seems louder. Still..... as a daily driver I don't see a reason to get a Z over the G, the performance advantage margin is too little. I would consider the Z Roadster for it's topless nature, but not the Z, even the track model.