G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 6MT vs 350Z Track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 6MT vs 350Z Track

Hey! i am very interested in getting a G35. I love the looks and the performance. I was wondering if you guys can highlight the differences in performance between the 2004 G35 6MT, 2005 G35 6MT, and the 350Z Track. Also, some lists of mods that make up for the performance difference between the 350Z and the G35 would be nice. Thank you!

Adrian

Old 08-09-2004, 11:20 AM
Re: G35 6MT vs 350Z Track

Basically this is a no brainer. The Track model doesn't have leather, or the Bose system so get the G and look alot classier with leather and Bose and only give up maybe half a second 0-60. As a bonus you have alot more room for beer and luggage should you want to take a weekend jaunt.

04 Coupe 6MT Laser/Graphite Premium No Aero

Old 08-09-2004, 11:41 AM

No Bose either! I know alot of people complain about the Bose and I agree it could be better but I don't really have a problem with it. I don't know if you can even get heated seats on the Track.

04 Coupe 6MT Laser/Graphite Premium No Aero

Old 08-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Actually, skip the Bose system on the G35, it is garbage, and it's virtually impossible to do aftermarket w/ it.

Performance-wise, the G35 does just as well, if not better in handling tests. Just go to some car magazine websites and read some articles. As for the 2005 model, we don't know the performance. It will have at least 15 more HP, smoother shifting, bigger wheels, and revised suspension.

-------------------------------------------
2004 6MT DG/G Coupe | Premium | Aero Kit | See bio for pix

Old 08-09-2004, 11:51 AM

The view on the 350z is horrible....I've test driven it and I don't like the view at all. Its hard to see out of the back.

The leather isn't a big deal, unless you want it really badly....and as for the bose...its true...the bose system sucks. If you get the bose on the g35, the only difference is that the amp is replaced to a bose amp that is it. None of the speakers are changed...and the head unit is the same. I think...someone double check me on this.

Coupe is also suppose to get a hp bump from 280 to 295 and suppose to ride on 19' rims...There are pictures somewhere here...but i'm too lazy right now to find them. <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by Boggie1688 on 08/09/04 08:54 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 08-09-2004, 12:02 PM

I only test drove a 6MT 350Z for about 10 minutes, but I couldn't really tell any performance difference between it and the 6MT G35C. There should be a few tenths difference to 60 though.

Otherwise, the G coupe corners as well or better, while riding more smoothly thanks to its longer wheelbase. Braking is probably about equal.

Then there's the leather interior, far more storage space (especially with the back seat folded), much nicer interior quality, the Bose stereo (not that great but included with the premium package and nav options anyway), a much better warranty, generally much better dealer and service departments, most likely much better resale value, better predicted reliability, a back seat for occasional use, and...I could go on and on...

Styling-wise I greatly prefer the G too, but that's always a matter of personal taste. I was quite disappointed when the 350Z came out, as I had high hopes of it possibly being the next car for me. When I saw the G coupe, it was the opposite. I simply HAD to get one, immediately. So I did...

Old 08-09-2004, 01:02 PM

the g comes with better tires - sticky michelin pilot sports vs the rin-flat potenza re040 on the Z.

This alone accounts for the higher skidpad in some mags.

Basically you can get lots of near-lux stuff or a real sports car.

If the faux aluminum painted plastic console is your style then you should get a G. If you cherish the simplicity and "work environment" of a sports cars ockpit get the Z.

The Z *WILL* be faster and handle better. Less roll, more direct response etc. Granted the G gives up a litlle, but makes up for it with creature comforts.

That said, I found my perfect Z to be the touring. Leather was imp for me. The bose finally got fixed for the 03 Zs, so a 04+ will sound pretty decent.
I'v e never had a prob with the iinterior. Its sporty, simple and finished in nice quality plastics - much nicer than the 97 honda prelude I had previously. A lot of complaints re: the Z interior were based on the NAV door on the 03s. The internet has a way of propagating untruths (e.g. Gs handle better than the Z - heavier, softer springs, longer wheelbase = better???) so get out for yourself and test drive both.

In terms of storage, who cares. i have an FX i use when I have to get big stuff from home depot - GRill!!!, lumber, but realistically, I can fit most things in the Z. The Z has a pretty big hatch area, so I would imagine that whatever you can fit in the G's tiny trunk would get swallowed in the Z.

Styling is purely subjective, guys on this site think the G looks great. It looks nice, but not too far off from an acura Cl-S IMO, real long in side profile, kinda fat andf tubby from the front. 2.5yrs later i still think the Z looks great and still get compliments on it.

both are great cars - but also appeal to 2 very different demographics. I have to admit that infiniti ownership has me kinda spoiled when I take the Z in. Not a reason to buy a near-luxo tug over a sports car IMO, but enough to make me decide to unload my Z when the lease is up and get the REAL DEAL accept no substitutes....911.

Old 08-09-2004, 02:05 PM

The Z is more tossable but the G holds a line in the corners much better IMO. The Z was bouncier around roads and corners similar to the ones that I tested the G on.
__________________________________________________ _
"This alone accounts for the higher skidpad in some mags."
"The Z *WILL* be faster and handle better. Less roll, more direct response etc."
__________________________________________________ _
What is your source material for that assessment?

If I am not mistaken, the G-Coupe springs are the same as the Z.

2003.5 G35C 5AT
Premium Package
Tire/Wheel Package
K&N Filter, Z-Tube, EGK

Old 08-09-2004, 02:29 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok here it goes, the Gcoupe is similar tot he 350z touring and non track 350z's in performance and the g coupe i think has a little better handling. The 350z track is nowhere near a stock z, and you can get it in a burnt orange leather!! Stock ive been seeing test from 13.7-14 flat, i mostly see 13.8 and 13.9's for this car in magazines so the track z is quicker than the g35's and a 13 sec car from factory. Its a great car, but which do you want more? A full out sports car like car, track 350z two seats or classy g35 coupe 2+2? That's your decision.

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
Injen CAI
B+G Springs
ADR M-Classic 19's..

Old 08-09-2004, 03:16 PM

Get the Track Z.

The G35 coupe DOES : have a sleeker styling, the same Brembo brakes, and a rather wide assortment of accessories for roughly the same price. While the heated seats, Bose system, and 2-way power leather seats may sound appealing... They aren't all that they are made out to be. The heated seats weigh my car down seeing as I've never used them in So Cal, so it should be a god damn option that I can de-select. The Bose adds to weak 6x9 subs and an amp which sucks. I have to admit have the 6 in dash CD player is nice, but an aftermarket Alpine multimedia LSD display head unit would blow it away. The leather seats are pretty damn cool if you're small sized like me (5'7). The automatic sliding forward feature seems cool at first until you realize that after you click it back in to move back .. it doesn't return to the position you had it set in. People have only sat in the back seat three times in my 1 year ownership of the car. The back seats (to me) are useless since I wanted a 2 seater anyway.

Now onto the Track Z. First off -- you will rarely come across these! Not many times in your driving will you see those signature Rays forged 18" wheels and Brembo calipers on a Z. You come across a Brembo G35 (meaning its 6mt) about one out of every four cars. If I had known this, I would have bought the Z in the first place. While the Track Z seems to come with nothing... IT REALLY DOES COME WITH NOTHING. You don't seem to get leather seats, Bose "premium audio" nor anything else related to the touring. You do get all the performance features though. Oh and you get projector Xenon headlights.

Enough about the sh*t the cars come with. Onto the drives. The Z does ride a little rougher than the G. Due to a bit tighter suspension, and less padding on the seats. However the coolest part about the Z is the wheel base. The G coupe wheelbase is actually as long as a G sedan. WOW. You cannot make sharp radius turns nor weave in and out as easily as the Z. Weaving through traffic on a freeway seemed a lot funner in the Z too because while you're sitting near the center of the car for the G, you're actually sitting closer to the rear wheels on the Z. You don't have to watch out for that huge *** sticking out as you do with the G. I'm no where near a good driver, but I guarantee that you can feel the difference of 200 lbs between the two vehicles.

Z much better of a sports car the the G. That being said .. I picked the G because : while the 350Z styling looks really good. To me it is an update of the classic Z cars (240, 260, 280) to make the new Z car look very modern. Nissan did a great job in this. The G35 coupe though, is such an original design. Nothing on the car market really looks like it. At night the rear LED tail lights look meaner than a cornered dog, and the overall styling of the car is much smoother and sleeker.. classier, if you will.

I'm 17 years old, never have to transport kids or anyone except the occasional girlfriend, so that reflects much of my opinion.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 08-09-2004, 04:57 PM

nice objective post dragon, it still amazes me that ppl confuse more stable (longer wheelbase) w/ better handling. The spring rates are diff. in fact, nissan softened the spring rates for 03.5+ 350Zs as well.

Dragon brought up the biggest diff IMO btw the two. The drive. You sit much higher in th G than the Z. At 6'3" this means that my head rubs in a G but not a Z. More importantly, it really does allow you to use the car differently as you are sitting IN rather than ON.

either way you go - they're both great cars, for different ppl. if you want a no-bones-about-it sports car - get the Z. If you think that guys who pay the same money and give up lots of stuff are dumb (dual zone climate, steering wheel buttons, sunroof, backseat, faux-metal trim, lots of dash buttons) in exchange for tire pres monitors, a multifunction computer with lap timer and analog speedo, suspension/chassis reinforcements and a Carbon fibre driveshaft - then get the G and be happy!

Just make sure you actually get out and drive them both!

Old 08-09-2004, 05:37 PM
J_P

Do you want a sports car w/o luxury or a luxury sports car w/ slightly less performance?

Looks are too subjective.

IMO, the 350Z interior isn't much worse than the G35 (which isn't known for it's interior either).

On avg, the 350Z is about 0.2 s quicker in the 1/4 mile so it's not a big deal.

I respectfully disagree w/ people here who say the G35c handles better. The G35c has a similar but softer suspension, less handling but better ride. It also has a longer wheelbase, again, good for ride quality but not for handling. The 350Z has a lower centre of gravity, & weighs some 200 lbs less as well.

For those that say the G35c has higher skidpad numbers, I would argue that skidpad is more a reflection of tires more than anything. The Mustang GT's skidpad numbers are almost as good as the G35c, I doubt anyone believes it handles anywhere near as well as the G35c. Slalom speed is a better indicator. I believe R & T is the only mag which got a higher slalom speed w/ the G35c than the 350Z.

Drive the 350Z & G35c, there is a nimbleness & tossability w/ the 350Z that you just don't get w/ the G35c. Having said that, overall, the G35c represents the better car for MY needs. I'm willing to trade a bit of performance for some luxury & comfort, the G35c is an excellent compromise.

Old 08-09-2004, 07:49 PM

Dragon, Qire, and JP did a great job on relating the performance. :-) I was cracking up with the first couple posts because people kept talking about leather and bose audio when the question is how do they stack in performance department :-P

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 6MT vs 350Z Track