G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I Need advice, Go German or stay Japanese?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Need advice, Go German or stay Japanese (G35 vs M3)?

I have a 2003 G35 coupe 6mt black on black with navigation and I get bored with cars pretty easily. I like the styling of the G35, the exhaust note and it is a pretty fun car to drive. The things that I do not like about My G would be the cheap plastic used in the interior, the problematic Bose system and the not so great (IMO) power to weight ratio. I am thinking about either selling my G and getting a used E46 M3 with around the same millage and year as my car or modifying my G35 with a supercharger, exhaust and 3.9 gears, etc...

With the M3 I like the interior, it is faster and handles allot better than a stock G35 and I like the looks of the car as well. The downside of the M3 is that parts and labor are more expensive, I am not sure how reliable early model E46 M3's are ( my G is very reliable) and I don't like the exhaust note of that car at all unless it is supercharged,lol.

Just looking for advice here please help me make a decision

Attached Thumbnails I Need advice, Go German or stay Japanese?-4.jpg   I Need advice, Go German or stay Japanese?-dsc09219.jpg  

Last edited by jaisonev; 10-02-2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: I need to modify title with a better discription of the thread
Old 10-02-2009, 02:09 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
supercharge your G

Old 10-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Or go Twin Turbo for your G35. E46 M3's are phenomenal cars, but their reliability (especially electrical and enginee cooling) is not, and when something breaks (and it will), it's super expensive. Great car to lease, not so great to own.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I agree with the above two statements. TT FTW!

Also, if that is the M3 you were thinking about then I would immediately say no because that color is awful...

Old 10-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by LightsOut
supercharge your G

Yeah, that would be the most logical answer but once I supercharge my G I will get the power that I want but then reliability becomes an issue. That is also the same thing that I am worried about with the M3, reliability. I have no reliability issues with my stock G but I don't think N/A mods are just not gonna do it for me with this car. With the M3 I think I would be happy enough with just bolt ons (I have seen M3's hit hight 12's with bolt on's). So I guess it comes down to what is more reliable a supercharged G or a bolt on 03-04 E46 M3? Financially, the cost of modding my G and selling my G and getting a used M3 should be about the same.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Hands down supercharged G...

Old 10-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Get the M3 but not that booger green color.

Anyone seen those vids of the TT G getting romped on by 2 M3's?

Old 10-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by G35fromPA
Or go Twin Turbo for your G35. E46 M3's are phenomenal cars, but their reliability (especially electrical and enginee cooling) is not, and when something breaks (and it will), it's super expensive. Great car to lease, not so great to own.
I used to own a turbo Integra a while back and while I know that performance wise, turbo trumps supercharger all day. I am just looking for respectable performance to make me happy when I jump in the driver seat without the threat of over boosting and the cost of turbo charging properly and safely. I remember that I was so scared to "get on" my Integra because I was always scared of over boosting and blowing my motor. With the boost being controlled by a pulley I think I will feel a little bit better plus the price of supercharger kits are pretty hard to beat nowadays I am leaning towards just keeping and modding my G.... but I really hate the plastic interior, lol

Old 10-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Lol, I just used the pictures for visual effect but I happen to like that yellow color with the carbon lip. The carbon black is my favorite color M3 though.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jaisonev
I used to own a turbo Integra a while back and while I know that performance wise, turbo trumps supercharger all day. I am just looking for respectable performance to make me happy when I jump in the driver seat without the threat of over boosting and the cost of turbo charging properly and safely. I remember that I was so scared to "get on" my Integra because I was always scared of over boosting and blowing my motor. With the boost being controlled by a pulley I think I will feel a little bit better plus the price of supercharger kits are pretty hard to beat nowadays I am leaning towards just keeping and modding my G.... but I really hate the plastic interior, lol
Also, an FI G that does not have built internals is NOT reliable.. an NA M3 is more reliable than an FI non built G hands down.

Its hard to get power out of this car and when you do turbo or supercharge you must build or you'll top out at around 8 PSI and thats slightly pushing it.
These posts are hella funny.. Way easier said than done.. "ohh yea, just turbo it or supercharge it!" LMFAO.. That would leave a nice dent on your wallet too.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by officerdbag
Get the M3 but not that booger green color.

Anyone seen those vids of the TT G getting romped on by 2 M3's?

Yes I have seen that video, LOL. I don't get it? The G35 is only 100lbs at the most heavier than the M3 coupe but when I see videos online the supercharged/ turbo G35 (which usually makes the same power as a supercharged M3) gets beat by a stock m3..wth is that about!! Those videos make me want to jump ship

Old 10-02-2009, 03:05 PM
I think I am going to just keep my G and build it piece by piece. Osiris tune, test pipes, 3.9 FD, JWT clutch& flywheel and then purchase a Vortech kit , etc...... but If I end up on a Youtube clip getting beat by a stock M3 and a X5 I am gonna be so pissed at u guys, lol

Old 10-02-2009, 03:38 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
+1
on piece by piece. Thay way your always happy with each mod you get. Rather than putting all together at once then getting tired of the power after awhile.

or

get a 335i and have turboed warranty

Old 10-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Neither choice is that enticing to be honest.

Going FI reliably on a G35 is going to be a huge money sink, these cars were not meant for boost and you're going to have to replace or upgrade basically everything eventually. Don't listen to people that say you can slap on a turbo and call it a day; they are running on borrowed time as far as I'm concerned and to do it right you have to spend way more than I'm personally willing to fork over. YMMV.

M3's are expensive to maintain and have a ton of little problems, everybody I know with a BMW loves it until it gets to be about 5 years old. Then the headaches start coming. If you can find an M3 that's been garage queen'd its whole life, you may be fine.

Personally, I'd keep the G35 and if the interior bothers you that much (don't blame you, 03-04 interiors look like a Kia) just pay to get it completely redone. Also I'd keep the engine NA and tighten up the suspension with quality coilovers, high end performance tires, various braces, strut bars, etc. It's always fun to drive a slow car fast than the other way around.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I Need advice, Go German or stay Japanese?