G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Am I killing my clutch by doing this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I killing my clutch by doing this?

Hey all,

Let's say i'm in 4th gear and need to downshift to 3rd.
As i ease off the throttle, i slam the clutch and it revs up in RPMs. (Let's say from 2k - 3k) I shift to 3rd, let go of the clutch and hit the throttle.

I know some other people downshift by hitting the clutch, blip the throttle then releasing the clutch.

Am i killing my clutch by doing it this way?

| 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Premium Pkg | Navigation | SKYLINE+GT350 emblems | Clear Corners | 35% & 50% Tints

Old 08-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Re: Am I killing my clutch by doing this?

From my inquiries about this subject, I'd have to answer NO. Apparently the syncros are saving your butt in the downshift case you described. Just make sure you don't miss-shift into first gear by accident.

If you want some good reading on this subject do a search for "rev matching" or "double clutching".

<font color=blue>The above statements are only my take on the issue. If you disagree with anything I typed then you are 100% right!</font color=blue>

Old 08-11-2004, 11:06 AM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like you're doing the same thing as others: blip the throttle before releasing the clutch...
As to Neffster's comment about accidentally putting it into 1st instead of 3rd... won't happen. as the car won't let you put it into first unless you're below certain speed OR if you FORCE it to go into 1st.

My G-enie

Old 08-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Cali Event Coordinator
BASE ACURA TLX NOW WANT A G35 AGAIN THOUGH

WHEW - I'm doing that too..."first 6-speed" and still learning and adjusting to driving on hills in SF etc...I've accidentally shifted from 4th gear into 2nd and missed 3rd and the car jolted big time..WHOOOPS - and on a few occassions going into 3rd gear was really stiff...YIKES...7,500 miles almost got the hang of it...I can do 180's now and peel out..and take off the line..but still need lots of practice downshifting in traffic and on hills...

Also I notice though is that our E-Brake isnt' that good...Meaning it doesn't hold all the time! When I'm on the hill I have to pull up really hard on the E-Brake and then put it into first before I release the clutch and the car rolls back still...Has that happened to you guys?

BoBs - SF 94122 -

Old 08-11-2004, 11:40 AM

Glad to hear that i'm not destroying my clutch.
This is my first 6MT, can you tell? :P

As for the hills, i watch the cross traffic's light to turn yellow then stick it into first and let the clutch hold the car for half a second and then ease in the throttle behind it. (Clutch is holding car under 1k RPM) It might not hold it completely but it slows the roll-down speed. I do use the e-brake method if the incline is SUPER steep or the car behind me is just too close.

| 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT | Diamond Graphite/Graphite | Premium Pkg | Aero Pkg | Navigation | SKYLINE+GT350 emblems | Clear Corners | 35% & 50% Tints |

Old 08-11-2004, 01:30 PM

Speedoholic is probably right but...

Sometimes the shifting in my 6mt is a little notchy. On occasion I have noticed that I've had to "force it" a little bit to get it to downshift. This is usually going from 5th to 3rd at around 65 mph (when I really want the car to get up and go [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]). 3rd gear can handle ~80 mph pretty easily, so the car will allow you to "force it" into 3rd gear at ~65 mph. It is much more difficult to downshift when the car is about to go into the 5000+ rpm range than it is to downshift when the car is about to go into 3000 rpm range (at least it is on my car). Does any one else notice this phenomenon?

FYI, my car is at the dealership today getting the tranny and diffy fluids flushed and the oil changed at 7600 miles. I'm hoping the slightly notchy shifting will be completely reduced after today.

<font color=blue>The above statements are only my take on the issue. If you disagree with anything I typed then you are 100% right!</font color=blue>

Old 08-11-2004, 02:06 PM

i agree with mr elussive... if you get better at rev-matching, you can downshift much quicker and still have a nice smooth ride. If you have to rely on slowly letting the clutch out, it WILL hurt the life of the clutch.. maybe not much, but over time... Also if you have to let the clutch out slowly, that's just it, it's slow. When you want to downshift quickly to catch up to that fart can that just passed you, you want to catch up quickly.

---
2004 TB/W 6mt Coupe. Sunroof only.
Bel Vector 985 Hardwired.
Grounding Kit.
Splash Guards.
Custom Carputer.
Custom FG Sub Enclosure.