G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 Rear Bumper Repaint Darker?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are some pictures of the same thing. As you can see in the pictures the rear doors do not match the front doors (there darker) A body shop down the street painted them and did not tint the color right, and did not blend. So I sanded down the front and read doors and mixed the PPGFREAK's secret DG color and painted them

So now its my turn

Old 10-20-2009, 04:36 PM
So when I was done my my boss gave the other body shop the bill because they could not do it right. But the guy loved is car when it was done. So dont let them tell you it cant be done because I do it all the time!

Old 10-20-2009, 04:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me when I painted part of my rear quarter panel and it did not match. I ended up repainting it and blending it with the door and bumper and now it matches 100% perfect! It was my first time painting and I'm happy with the outcome ( it has some small belimishes but I'm not repainting it just for a few small specks ).

FWIW, I had a body shop paint my trunk and the color is slightly off and they said that it could not be fixed due to the color of my car blablabla....I believed them and went on my way. Now I'm thinking of painting it myself seeing that my first time painting matched better than ther 1 millionth time...lol.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:45 PM
ppgfreak...I have a question for you.

On my new paint, after it dried it developed some VERY tiny pores on some parts ( almost microscopic ). No one has been able to tell unless I showed them and it really doesn't bother me because you really can barely see it...but I'm worried about longetivity. Have you seen this happen before? I can take a pic of it because it's just too small but it looks like tiny microscopic pinholes on the smooth paint and only in a few areas.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Mr.202?

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by PPGFREAK
So when I was done my my boss gave the other body shop the bill because they could not do it right. But the guy loved is car when it was done. So dont let them tell you it cant be done because I do it all the time!

Damn these are nices pics to show where the holes are for the side molding :P

If someone wants to remove them.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:51 PM
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
OP, there are 2 shades of DG, they changed the color a tiny bit for like 06 or somewhere along that timeline. They painted it with the darker one, go back and get them to re-paint it with the lighter one for free.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:54 PM
^There solvent pops There is a couple ways of getting them. But number one is let each coat dry longer before adding another coat on top of it. It traps the solvent and it needs to get out. If you put a coat on and its still wet then dont add another coat on top of it. Because then the first coat cant dry. You think your done because the top coat is dry. BUT the first coat you put on is not, so it finds it way out and ends up looking like little tiny holes. Hope that helps

OP sorry I did not mean to jack your thread. But if you have any questions let me know and I would be happy to help

Last edited by PPGFREAK; 10-20-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by PPGFREAK
^There solvent pops There is a couple ways of getting them. But number one is let each coat dry longer before adding another coat on top of it. It traps the solvent and it needs to get out. If you put a coat on and its still wet then dont add another coat on top of it, because then te first coat cant dry. If that happens a couple time in the job then when you think your done because the top coat is dry. BUT the first coat you put on is not, so it finds it way out and ends up looking like little tiny holes. Hope that helps

OP sorry I did not mean to jack your thread. But if you have any questions let me know and I would be happy to help
Here is the best pic I could get:

Honestly, I can barely see it and if it's not going to make the paint job do bad in the next few months then I really don't care.

Here are some pics to show the color matching ( door was untouched, only the quarter panel and bumper were touched ).

OP...considering that this was my first time ever doing this...I think you should ask to have you bumper matched better...or live with it.

My garage floor really needs to be cleaned...lol....sanding down the car really got the floor dirty.

Last edited by GT-ER; 10-20-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PPG: too bad you aren't in California or I'd have you do it! What do you think I should tell them when they tell me that it's going to look darker regardless since paint looks different on plastic than paint since that's obviously what they will try to tell me, I'm going to take it to the dealership first and have them back me up and then head to the body shop

Old 10-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Ferrarimanic360
PPG: too bad you aren't in California or I'd have you do it! What do you think I should tell them when they tell me that it's going to look darker regardless since paint looks different on plastic than paint since that's obviously what they will try to tell me, I'm going to take it to the dealership first and have them back me up and then head to the body shop
Just ask them "how come the factory paint didn't look different?". While plastic will ALMOST ALWAYS look somewhat different ( I've never seen plastic match PERFECTLY ) the mismatch should be barely noticeable.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:25 PM
^Just what I said in my first post. Yes it will look darker if you dont do anything to it. BUT there are things you can do to make it match better. If they are giving you a hard time let me know and I will call a PPG rep in CA I know and he will drive over there and teach them how to paint lol

Old 10-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Shop with my DG stated there's 7 different shades of DG. Least that's what their database pulled up when factory color code was entered. They spent the time and matched spot-on with no blending. It can be done. Take it back.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by V35 Skyline GT
Shop with my DG stated there's 7 different shades of DG. Least that's what their database pulled up when factory color code was entered. They spent the time and matched spot-on with no blending. It can be done. Take it back.
^He is right for what they have for paint. When I pull up DG (wv2) I get 7 different shades as well. BUT if you go to a Dupont shop they have 3, and martin senior has 5. So the point is there 20+ paint lines out there and it will match great with one and not another. But the shop that might not match it very well might have a great IP and so on.

When I painted Dupont I spent 2 days matching a color PBJ, and then with PPG I can pick up my gun and just paint that one part and its 100% Each paint line had there goods and bads.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:12 PM
mine came out the same

Old 10-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
**UPDATE**

I went back to the body shop and i walked into the front office and let the guy in charge know that the paint was MUCH darker on the back and that it didnt match, at first he was trying to tell me the whole paint is always darker on the bumper bs but as soon as he walked outside he could tell that it was wrong, he went into the back to talk to someone else and came out and said they would fix it and were pretty apologetic so lets see what try #2 will do! Thanks to everyone and their advice i will keep you guys posted.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Rear Bumper Repaint Darker?!