G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 Rear Bumper Repaint Darker?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was your quarter panel ever painted?

It seems that the tints they used to make the color is good, but the way the color was applied makes the metal flakes luster differently making it look like a different color in bright light yet a similar color in the shade.

I'll be honest...I've seen so many off color parts in silver cars that I believe the color is more the problem than the person painting it. This is why sometimes people get a dent in their trunk and you end up painting the entire trunk and quarter panels. Matching colors isn't easy.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Was your quarter panel ever painted?

It seems that the tints they used to make the color is good, but the way the color was applied makes the metal flakes luster differently making it look like a different color in bright light yet a similar color in the shade.

I'll be honest...I've seen so many off color parts in silver cars that I believe the color is more the problem than the person painting it. This is why sometimes people get a dent in their trunk and you end up painting the entire trunk and quarter panels. Matching colors isn't easy.

Nah the quarter panel has never been repainted!

Old 11-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Ferrarimanic360
Nah the quarter panel has never been repainted!
Then I would say that the setting of the spray gun was at fault, the problem is that is hard to know how to set it so that matches the oem pattern. I was able to do it on my car and I'm a first timer...yet the person who painted my trunk was an "expert" and he couldn't match it perfectly. I guess I was lucky?

Heck, I've seen oem silver cars that have off colored bumpers.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:21 PM
It seems like maybe it was just the way the sun hits it? I looked through the DG picture thread and i saw the same thing, maybe this is the closest it gets? here are some samples of what i found:

Old 11-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Yep, it was just the lighting. The right side matched up fine. In your other pic, there was a huge shade in the way.

So you were bltching and whining over nothing. You owe the body shop a huge apology for making them paint it twice for nothing. I would go there and give them a case of beer.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
Yep, it was just the lighting. The right side matched up fine. In your other pic, there was a huge shade in the way.

So you were bltching and whining over nothing. You owe the body shop a huge apology for making them paint it twice for nothing. I would go there and give them a case of beer.
Technically he wasn't bitching and whining over nothing since it really, actually, didn't match...period. Whether it's in the shade or the sun...if it doesn't match, it doesn't match. Can it be made to match perfectly? YES! IT CAN. Is it a pain in the *** to do...YES, it is...and usually involves painting part of the quarter panel in the process. He was paying for a job and he wanted the best...can't blame him.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it and yeah it's not like this was a
cheap job so I def wanted it to be as perfect as
possible.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GT-ER
Technically he wasn't bitching and whining over nothing since it really, actually, didn't match...period. Whether it's in the shade or the sun...if it doesn't match, it doesn't match. Can it be made to match perfectly? YES! IT CAN. Is it a pain in the *** to do...YES, it is...and usually involves painting part of the quarter panel in the process. He was paying for a job and he wanted the best...can't blame him.
^+1

When you pay good money for something you want what you paid for. So jibberjabbers I think you need to give Ferrarimanic360 a case of beer for running your mouth about him when you obviously dont know what your talking about. The first time they painted his bumper it was way to far off and it needed to be fixed.

Now back on topic They did a much better job this time. No its not 100% but it does look 95% and that is very good for this color. As you can see just by looking at old DG pictures the color on plastic from metal just from the dealership is still only 95% Plastic will look a little differet than metal when painted. But it looks like the second time around they got it very close for you. It looks 100% in some lights and then 90% in others. But like I said its not even that good right off the line when you buy the car.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
info on wheels on below pictured G..... anyone?