G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Someone settle the infamous 6mt Clutch Chatter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 01:41 PM
DJM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Someone settle the infamous 6mt Clutch Chatter

Where did you go to get your clutch adjusted? Dealer, yourself? I noticed on my 6MT that the clutch grabs really high, toward the end of the clutch pedal swing. I thought this was different than most other MT's I have driven. Also, correct me if Im wrong, but it seems like the clutch grabs really fast, quick bite and not a more gradual grab, probably better for performance. Thanks

Old 08-19-2004, 03:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The issue with gear rattle is that conventional lightweight flywheels retain the car's original solid-hub clutch disk. First, the lightened flywheel has less mass to damp the power pulse variations. Second, there is no mechanism within the solid-hub clutch disk to absorb the power pulse variations. The result is that a conventional lightweight flywheel with solid-hub clutch may create a noticeable amount of rattle. There is simply no cushioning action at all. Note that this gear rattle only occurs at idle, in neutral, with the clutch let out. It is not heard at any other time. Above idle (even just a couple hundred rpm) and the increased frequency of power pulses outpaces the speed at which the components couple/de-couple, therefore no rattle whatsoever. "

From what you stated, if we have the dual-mass flywheel, we should not be having this noise. Consequently, in every other car I've owned, the clutch disc itself has a sprung hub and makes none of the same noises. So my speculation is the excess noise is still a result of the transmission design. The dual-mass was used for it's better control of the noise. Many reports indicate there will be more noise when you switch to a lightweight flywheel. So your post, while informative doesn't appear to apply to the G or Z's tranny.

And by no means to I consider a dual-mass flywheel to be high performance. At least not for the purposes of track racing. Heavier flywheels have more momentum which result in decreased acceleration and is harder to rev-match as smoothly. About the only place a heavier flywheel tends to really increase perforamce is at the launch. The increase momentum allows you to use the potential energy stored in the rotating flywheel as well as the crankshaft torque to drive the car forward. So other than when hauling a load or launching in a drag race, a heavier flywheel will decrease performance.

Old 08-19-2004, 05:50 PM

if this is true about the trannies making this noise normally, does that mean that the majority of people with 6mt coupes that are perfectly quiet have bad trannies? i have to agree tho, the noise is very embarassing at times, especially in garages where the noise is very noticeable. the technician at infiniti told me "we had another guy come in and complain about the same thing, i replaced his tranny and the same noise was happening. don't worry, you have a warranty, if the tranny blows, come back and we'll give you a new one." thats cool and all, but my main concern was the nasty noise coming from the tranny that the majority of 6mt owners do not have.

04 DG/G/6MT/Premium/Nav/Clear Bra
Bone Stock...to be continued...
"You kill mah brodah, now I kill you!" - some old kung-fu flick

Old 08-19-2004, 11:24 PM

I don't think it's so much of a noise issue. I doubt it's loud enough for anyone outside the car to notice...at least in my case. But like CKwick said..."Clutch chatter is generally felt more than heard, if at all. The engagement of the clutch will not be smooth and feel like the clutch pedal is being pressed and released very quickly. "......that is clutch chatter. Many high performance clutches have "chatter". I've had friends that have 600 HP+ on their LS1's that have installed high performance clutches like 'RAM' clutches, 'Centerforce', etc. They are awesome clutches....but the drawback is chatter. I did not expect chatter from an OEM clutch...and I hardly consider this clutch "high performance"....but like I said..I drove a friend's clutchmaster stage III, and loved it...so I had got one for myself(for my LS1).....no chatter!!! and it's an awesome clutch...when the time comes for a clutch change for my 'G', you bet I will get a clutchmaster stage III.

http://www.clutchmasters.com/shop/?p...000&AppID=5195

btw, moderators....I don't work for clutcmasters...just pointing out a great clutch hope it's ok to post a non-sponsor link

or for the hardcore...
http://www.clutchmasters.com/shop/?p...000&AppID=5202

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrow...elected=551133

Old 08-19-2004, 11:36 PM

DJM and others interested in adjusting pedal engagement. (I got this picture from fresh alloy)

1- Loosen the locknut. Use some pliers or a punch to hold the fork(I used a punch), then take a 12mm wrench and break the locknut loose.
2- Push down slightly on the clutch pedal to release the tension on the rod.
3- Turn the rod clockwise. You'll notice that the rod is threading deeper INTO the fork.
4- Tighten the locknut.

I turned the actuator 3 times...but start off with 2 and see how you like it.

326450-Clutch1a.jpg

Old 08-20-2004, 12:24 AM

The real question is what do we do about it? Organize a petition to present to Infiniti, asking them to find and solve the problem for those of us WITH clutch chatter? I mean, come on, if the VAST majority of G owners never experience this, then there must be something different in ours, right?

Who wants to start a petition? How many of us are there?

---------------------------
2003 G35 Coupe 6MT
Black, willow, premium
AIM: alanlewstherin

Old 08-20-2004, 11:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to clarify what you are referring to. Clutch Chatter(felt) or the transmission noise?

Personally, I feel the majority of folks with chatter probably broke the clutch in wrong. I don't feel its a warranty issue if that's the case. And I still feel the noise from the tranny is normal.

Old 08-20-2004, 12:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree and think I know what the original post is refering to....(more like...clutch "shudder")
There are two seperate issues that some people are running together...
1)The "normal"? throw out bearing noise most G's make when clutch is depressed.(Mine's loud as hell)
2) A Shuddering of the clutch plates upon engagement...(which I DO NOT have by the way) My clutch and transmission is smooth as butter.(knock on wood....at 12K miles)
I have had several Porsches in the past that had bad clutch shudder with the stock plates.
I'd get it looked at by the dealer under warranty.

"I like you.....You remind me of myself when I was young and foolish"

Old 08-20-2004, 01:14 PM

Here is just my .02 cents. There is alot of tourque on this car and the chatter only happens on my car when I don't give it alot of gas in 1st. So I'm thinking that the load on the plates are making the noise. When I do give it enough gas I don't have any chatter. I took it into the dealer and they don't know why and they said everything is normal so no help from them. If anyone finds any concrete evidence of malfuntion please post.

'The Rice is mightier than the corn'
DG 6MT, Baby G

Old 08-21-2004, 12:21 AM

Hmmm, my camaro has 361 ft.lbs of torque and it doesn't chatter..shudder...etc at all. With my G, I have to be perfect in order not to get the shudder. But adjusting the pedal helped quite a bit.

Old 08-23-2004, 02:06 PM
DJM

Well, I picked up my car on Saturday. Service center said there is nothing wrong with it and drives perfectly. Ok, great. So, I will just drive it and rely on the fact that I have a warranty. Actually the sound does not appear as much as it did. Also, I adjusted the clutch grab point. Much better in my opinion.
And listen to this. I picked up my car on Saturday, drove home, parked it in the garage. Went to wash it on Sunday and noticed a scrape on my driver front wheel. Not curb damage. I called and they said there is a post it note on the service paper saying there is a scrape on my wheel and the service guy never said anything to me at all when dropping it off or picking it up. The service manager is going to have it fixed though, not replaced. I guess Im ok with that. I started to second guess myself, wondering if I did it. But, Im pretty darn sure that it was not from me, about 100% sure. Well thats my story.

Old 01-16-2005, 04:02 PM
I know this thread is fairly old, but I have to say that improper clutch break-in, while valid in some cases, is not the universal cause of clutch chatter issue. If it is, then why do I experience the exact same thing described here when engaging 1st or going from 1st to 2nd in my brand new (< 200 miles) 05 6MT? More to the point, why did I experince this on the very first shift when I took delivery of the car and it only had 15 miles on it? Like others, I have driven manuals since I was 16, which gives me over 15 years of experience, so I think I have some experience driving them.

Old 01-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
man, i thought hearing about problems with clutch shudder was over after selling
my WRX. You guys have them on your 6MT's, huh? that really sucks.

I don't have shudder on my G35C yet(?)...3.5k miles. I'm very easy on the drivetrain
and been driving MT's for a while. I hope I don't get this. If it's really caused by
abrupt engagements, I don't foresee getting it myself....but the problem with shudder
on the WRX was more of a moisture absorption related issue in the plates.

Can you guys rid the shudder if you slip in 2nd from a stand still a couple of times?

Old 01-17-2005, 10:01 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
same experience here

Originally Posted by ironrice
Here is just my .02 cents. There is alot of tourque on this car and the chatter only happens on my car when I don't give it alot of gas in 1st. So I'm thinking that the load on the plates are making the noise. When I do give it enough gas I don't have any chatter. I took it into the dealer and they don't know why and they said everything is normal so no help from them. If anyone finds any concrete evidence of malfuntion please post.

'The Rice is mightier than the corn'
DG 6MT, Baby G
Most of the time I drive car quite easy and I find there is some chatter and slight jerkiness if there is not a good amount of throttle to raise the revs up. The clutch itself has a small sweet spot for the engagement which occurs quite high in the pedal take up. Overall it seems to be much more sensitive to being fluid with your driving style than any other standard I have owned. If driven slightly more aggresive than I like to day to day it works more smoothly.
At idle there is a tiny bit of chatter feel which goes away with the clutch depressed.
I don't know if all of this is normal but from all of these posts it sounds like it is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Someone settle the infamous 6mt Clutch Chatter