G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Someone settle the infamous 6mt Clutch Chatter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by uther
I know this thread is fairly old, but I have to say that improper clutch break-in, while valid in some cases, is not the universal cause of clutch chatter issue. If it is, then why do I experience the exact same thing described here when engaging 1st or going from 1st to 2nd in my brand new (< 200 miles) 05 6MT? More to the point, why did I experince this on the very first shift when I took delivery of the car and it only had 15 miles on it? Like others, I have driven manuals since I was 16, which gives me over 15 years of experience, so I think I have some experience driving them.
I don't think it is always the case as hot spots in the flywheel or pressure plate, or a contaminated disc can easily cause chatter. But clutch break-in is the most common. Knowing how to drive a manual doesn't mean anything here. If you experienced it on the very first drive, perhaps someone wrecked the clutch before you even got to drive it. Perhaps your clutch is defective. Just so you know I've replaced about 8 clutches personally in about 7 different cars. Only one chattered the first time I drove it with the new clutch. It was a high performance clutch that wasn't exactly designed with smooth engagment in mind to begin with. Even a brand new clutch shouldn't chatter. But if abused before it can be properly broken in, it can chatter and it may never be resolved short of replacing the clutch. Conversely, a properly broken in clutch can take a lot of abuse before chatter can appear.

Old 01-17-2005, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow talk about raising a post from the dead! Its been nearly a year since I started and gave up on this thread. I am sorry to hear that even the 05's are having the same issue.

I have noticed that a handful of owners have had their clutch/trannys replaced since I first posted in March. An with the replacements some have the symptoms cured and some haven't. I gotta take a ride in a 6mt without the chatter just to see if its worth rolling the dice and bringing it in again and requesting a fix of some sort.

IIRC I haven't come across someone who has cured the chatter with an aftermarket clutch. Anyone?

Old 01-17-2005, 04:01 PM
My point is that this phenomenon is extraordinarily high with the G based on the number of people observing it on this board, to the point that it leads one to believe there is a design flaw. This many people don't improperly break-in their clutches. Take a look at some other boards for manual shift sports cars; you don't see nearly the same number of posts on this issue, yet, if it was strictly a break-in problem due to unskilled drivers, you would should have the same distribution of the issue reported, regardless of vehicle. That's the only point I am making.

You are absolutely right in what you are saying about improperly broken-in clutches resulting in the same issue, but unless the dock workers are drifting in these cars as they come off the ship, there should not be this many cases of improper break-in. It is something Infiniti needs to address and is certainly something worht bringing to a dealer's attention since this is the only way a recall or TSB will ever be issued for the problem.

Old 01-17-2005, 04:26 PM
I noticed some clutch shudder when I first drove my '05 6MT coupe. I've been driving a manual for 20 yrs since age 15. However, it has since gone away and now I've got 500 miles on her, mostly city driving.

With all the posts referencing proper break-in of the clutch I'm wondering if my clutch shudder went away due to the way I'm breaking in the clutch. I usually engage 1st gear with the RPM less than 1500 and mostly very slowly around 1000. No fast starts. When slowing down from 5th or 6th gear I OCCASIONALLY DOWNSHIFT sequentially to about 3rd gear then neutral prior to stopping. I only do this conscientously a couple times a week.

Here is my theory... Perhaps downshifting puts friction on the clutch in the OPPOSITE direction as when starting from a stop or upshifting that has eliminated my clutch shudder. By doing so I am not allowing the clutch to glaze over in one direction only. I'm no expert on manual clutches nor do I claim to have ever studied one or taken one apart. The extent of my knowledge on clutches has been only regularly driving one every day for the last 20 years and reading about it on Howstuffworks.com. Read: flame suit on.

I'm not advocating using the clutch as breaks but I only downshift occasionally a few times a week since it seems to have eliminated my clutch shudder for now. I'll report on if/when it comes back. I'm curious if anyone here still has clutch shudder even if their driving habit includes downshifting on occasion.

Old 01-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Hensta, I shift about the same as you now, during break-in, and notice that the chatter seems to happen more after the car is warm (I know, weird!). As for downshifting, I'll give it a try when I know I don't have to rev over 3K or so and see if that makes any difference.

Old 04-12-2005, 02:02 PM
I just took my car in for the same problem... but they only replaced the tranny and not the clutch. I going to get irate if they don't change the clutch. They should've done both to elimanate any reasons for the rattle. What do I tell them if they tell me that they won't replace the clutch.?